AL CENTRAL

Leyland said something to the effect, that he isn't holding any spots in the rotation based on salary. His way of saying that Porcello may be in the rotation come opening day. This man didn't get an extension last winter, and he feels the need to win now. He hasn't been impressed with Willis or Robertson. One of these two, or maybe both, may not be here come April.

Leyland said something to the effect, that he isn't holding any spots in the rotation based on salary. His way of saying that Porcello may be in the rotation come opening day. This man didn't get an extension last winter, and he feels the need to win now. He hasn't been impressed with Willis or Robertson. One of these two, or maybe both, may not be here come April.

I've been telling you since 2 years ago that D. Willis is no longer an ML level pitcher. It's just amazing how quick he lost his ability to pitch. It must be a mental thing.

He's not throwing bad. Not bad for a high school kid. Bad for a guy who once won 22 games. I hope he turns it around, one can never have enough pitching.

Reason No. 3,249 I’m pumped about baseball season: The kids can play!

“It’s the best layer of talent we’ve had in a long, long period of time here,” Indians GM, Mark Shapiro said.”
Young Matt LaPorta had a memorable 2008. He played in the Futures Game and the Summer Olympics, got traded from Milwaukee to Cleveland for [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4553"]CC Sabathia Stats, News, Photos - New York Yankees - ESPN[/ame], then got married and played winter ball in Venezuela. No wonder he was grateful for spring training: It' s the first chance he's had to relax in months.

While the scouts like LaPorta for his bat, if not necessarily his glove, some other Cleveland outfielders are making a bigger splash this spring.

Trevor Crowe, a former first-round pick, and Michael Brantley, son of former big leaguer Mickey Brantley and the player to be named later in the Sabathia trade, have earned rave reviews for their performances while [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6205"]Shin-Soo Choo Stats, News, Photos - Cleveland Indians - ESPN[/ame] is playing for Korea in the WBC.

"That kid can really play," one scout said of Brantley. "Every at-bat is a quality at-bat."

Indians general manager Mark Shapiro spent several minutes gushing over Brantley, Crowe, LaPorta, catcher Carlos Santana, third baseman Wes Hodges and several other prospects during a conversation with reporters Wednesday.

"It's the best layer of talent we've had in a long, long period of time here," Shapiro said.

It's a helluva time to be a Tribe Fan!!!!!! Hey, hey, hey Go Tribe!

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3972958"]Jerry Crasnick: WBC spurs competition in big league camps - ESPN[/ame]

Dontrelle Willis is pitching his way out of Detroit, he was terrible again, yesterday. On the positive side - Bonderman threw 30+ pitches yesterday without pain, and Robertson had a nice outing against Toronto yesterday. Mike Maroth threw for the Jays, but was shelled by the Tiger bats. Sorry to hear that, I was really hoping this kid would be able to still play in the "show".

Dontrelle Willis is pitching his way out of Detroit, he was terrible again, yesterday. On the positive side - Bonderman threw 30+ pitches yesterday without pain, and Robertson had a nice outing against Toronto yesterday. Mike Maroth threw for the Jays, but was shelled by the Tiger bats. Sorry to hear that, I was really hoping this kid would be able to still play in the "show".

I agree about Willis, Tigers gave him every opportunity last year to straighten things out and again this spring, still hasn't clicked for him.
I thought it was a huge gamble when they gave him that huge contract right after he signed when he had done nothing for the Tigers.

Good news for Bonderman, now that he pitched, any report on how he feels today ?

More bad news for Zumaya, tightness in his arm again, going on meds for the inflamation, hopefully that will take care of it .... or his career may be going no where as well.

Porcello was scratched from a start today as well ....

Maybe the Tigers will have to resort to T Ball if they can't find any pitchers :D

Jimbo

Edwin Jackson has been very impressive, maybe he's our opening day starter.

I think Verlander will be fine, remember they said they were tweaking the way he was landing and Justin seem to think this would put him back to the way he use to be .... we'll see...

Reports on Bonderman were good after the simulated game Saturday.

I would like to see Porcello be the 4th or 5th starter, Robertson looked better in his last outing. I think he knows he needs to step it up or he might not be here....

I think Willis will be cut loose soon.

Jimbo

Unless something crazy happens what the heck are they going to do with Willis????

They are going to have to pay/eat that fat contract!!

Zumaya probably will not come North with the Tigers. Still on anti-inflammation drugs. He hasn't thrown in two weeks. Ryan Perry though, continues to impress the Tigers. The reliever has displayed a 100 MPH fastball and outstanding control.

I am feeling VERY uneasy (as are many) with regards to Joe Mauer's health. Things have been mighty quiet since his "second opinion" on Saturday. I hope all is well with Joe. He is a class young man who is a credit to his team and the game. :up

Tigers win today .... Minor does his best to NOT make the starting rotation, gives up 4 runs in 1st inning.

This Tiger team is surprising me, seeing they are going thru the Pre Season missing the heart of thier order.

2. Palonco,
3. Guillen,
4. Ordonez and
5. Cabrera

Jimbo

Tigers win today .... Minor does his best to NOT make the starting rotation, gives up 4 runs in 1st inning.

This Tiger team is surprising me, seeing they are going thru the Pre Season missing the heart of thier order.

2. Palonco,
3. Guillen,
4. Ordonez and
5. Cabrera

Jimbo

Ryan Perry was outstanding again yesterday. Maybe he will soften the blow of losing Zumaya for the time being. We really need Bonderman to be healthy this season. Right now the rotation stands at Verlander, Jackson, Galarraga, for sure. Nobody else is stepping forward besides Porcello, whom I'm sure the Tiger's would rather see in the minors for another season. Desperation may change that, though.

Ryan Perry was outstanding again yesterday. Maybe he will soften the blow of losing Zumaya for the time being. We really need Bonderman to be healthy this season. Right now the rotation stands at Verlander, Jackson, Galarraga, for sure. Nobody else is stepping forward besides Porcello, whom I'm sure the Tiger's would rather see in the minors for another season. Desperation may change that, though.

Even though they may want Porcello in the minors, I would not be surprised to see him in Detroit.
btw, did they say WHERE in the minors ?
Erie AA or Toledo AAA ?

For some reason, the Tigers tend to skip Toledo alot for pitchers.

btw, Verlander looked very good according to the Houston guys calling the game.
6 strong they said.
1 hit, 1 run, 3walks and 2 K's

Jimbo

While I don't put much stock into preseason baseball and performances at all, Cliff Lee's spring is giving me some anxiety as we're closing in on Opening Day...
“Lee has done nothing this spring to raise the exhilaration level of Indians fans, who are hoping that he anchors the staff the way he and CC Sabathia did in 2008. In three exhibition starts, Lee has pitched 62/3 innings, allowing 16 runs (14 earned), 19 hits, two walks and two hit batters. He also has struck out five and compiled the unenviable earned-run average of 18.89.”

Damn...small market baseball... I'm glad there are fans out there who think they have a chance against the likes of NY and BOS... LOL. It's good for merchandise sales in a down economy.

Damn...small market baseball... I'm glad there are fans out there who think they have a chance against the likes of NY and BOS... LOL. It's good for merchandise sales in a down economy.

Why wouldn't "small market" teams think they have a shot? :confused:

If anything, history shows us that money doesn't buy titles. After all, the almighty spenders (NY Yankees) missed out on the playoffs completely last year while the low spending Tampa Bay Rays made it all the way to the World Series!

With a strong farm system and a keen eye for developing youthful talent, small market teams can still compete regularly. Sure turnover is higher and they may not get to re-sign some of the high-profile players once they out grow their affordability, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The teams that aren't blessed with billionaire owners just have to be more creative, that's all.

Why wouldn't "small market" teams think they have a shot? :confused:

If anything, history shows us that money doesn't buy titles. After all, the almighty spenders (NY Yankees) missed out on the playoffs completely last year while the low spending Tampa Bay Rays made it all the way to the World Series!

With a strong farm system and a keen eye for developing youthful talent, small market teams can still compete regularly. Sure turnover is higher and they may not get to re-sign some of the high-profile players once they out grow their affordability, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The teams that aren't blessed with billionaire owners just have to be more creative, that's all.

The owners are still billionaires, just too prudent (used to be cheap before this economic downturn) to bid for free agents. I'm just busting your balls... I'm a fan of building a team from drafting, rather than free agents. BTW...Dontrelle Willis just needs to drop 40 lbs. and clean up his mechanics to be okay. He never was a fireballer, he just relied on deception with his change. Now that he looks like he ate the D-Train, he doesn't have the same consistent delivery/release point. AND, the Indians will never win a title if they trade good arms for bats... will never work. It's hard to second guess the Sabathia trade, but I would just want a premium arm, or two. Mets in 09!!! 3009...

The owners are still billionaires, just too prudent (used to be cheap before this economic downturn) to bid for free agents. I'm just busting your balls... I'm a fan of building a team from drafting, rather than free agents. BTW...Dontrelle Willis just needs to drop 40 lbs. and clean up his mechanics to be okay. He never was a fireballer, he just relied on deception with his change. Now that he looks like he ate the D-Train, he doesn't have the same consistent delivery/release point. AND, the Indians will never win a title if they trade good arms for bats... will never work. It's hard to second guess the Sabathia trade, but I would just want a premium arm, or two. Mets in 09!!! 3009...

We didn't trade Sabathia for bats just for the hell of it. As a business stand-point it was necessary. We weren't going to resign him this year anyways, so why not get something for him in return, you know?

BTW, the Indians got a heckuva lot of talent in return including: Matt LaPorta, Michael Brantley, Rob Bryson, Taylor Green and Zach Jackson.

Remember those names. You may have not heard of them as they're still young and in the minors. A few of them are already tearing it up in Spring Training. Not all will become stars, but I am willing to bet 2 of them will serve as some of the building blocks for seasons to come.

You may not agree with this method "small market" teams go through, but it's a churning process that has to be done to keep this team competitive each year.

OK, who actually PLAYS sports?

Shaq once had a video game of his own- a fighting game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)