AL CENTRAL

Pronk Update

Travis Hafner, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, is expected to play in his first exhibition game Friday.

He hasn't played live ball since early 2008 and had surgery in October.

Taking Flight

Cliff Lee was a passenger in an F-16 aircraft yesterday, taking off from nearby Luke Air Force Base. After filming a public service address at the base, Lee flew by local areas with an instructor pilot.

Provided Lee emerges unscathed from the harrowing experience, the left-hander is scheduled to make his first exhibition appearance today (Friday) against the Brewers at Goodyear Ballpark.

Kerry Wood returned to the mound Wednesday, throwing live batting practice on a minor league field at Goodyear Ballpark.

It was Wood’s first action since he was scratched from a bullpen session last Wednesday with a sore back and the first time that the Indians’ new closer faced live hitters this spring.

How many season's has Woods pitched without an injury? I'm surprised he is still in the league. That really speaks to his talent level, and his perserverance.

How many season's has Woods pitched without an injury? I'm surprised he is still in the league. That really speaks to his talent level, and his perserverance.

His injuries seemed to be more prevalent when he was a starter for the Cubs. Since he's moved to the bullpen, he's been pretty healthy. Knock on Wood... No pun intended. :D

Still a bit concerned though, he would make a huge difference in the bullpen, if he was healthy.

Tiger's brass was taking no chances with either Zumaya's or Bonderman's arms. Better to err on the side of caution. This season will depend heavily on both of them.

The tiger's success this season is riding on these two arms. Bonderman has the nastiest slider I've ever seen, and Zumaya throws the "heaviest" fastball in the league. These two are worth 20 W's if they're healthy this season.

The tiger's success this season is riding on these two arms. Bonderman has the nastiest slider I've ever seen, and Zumaya throws the "heaviest" fastball in the league. These two are worth 20 W's if they're healthy this season.

I agree. IMO, these two guys and Carmona for Cleveland are the keys in the AL Central this season.

I do think that the Tigers have more starting pitching depth than any team in the Central.

Verlander, Bonderman, Galarraga, Jackson, Willis, Robertson and Miner may come with some question marks, but I can see the Tigers getting 4/5 quality starters from that group.

I'll add another name to that group - Porcello. High school sensation that was rated the #1 pitcher in the draft 2 yrs. ago. Fell to the tigers because of salary demands. He has been very impressive in camp, and I think he's throwing today. The Tigers would rather have somebody else step up so that they can give this kid another season in the minors, but if he's ready to go, why not?

I'll add another name to that group - Porcello. High school sensation that was rated the #1 pitcher in the draft 2 yrs. ago. Fell to the tigers because of salary demands. He has been very impressive in camp, and I think he's throwing today. The Tigers would rather have somebody else step up so that they can give this kid another season in the minors, but if he's ready to go, why not?

Verlander and Zumaya were the same way, they came up before they were ready ...
Out of nessessity , but still came up real quick ....

I say like Leyland, take the best 12 pitchers on the field, if one is a second year Porcello, so be it :)
Like I said, thats how Verlander and Zoom Zoom got there.

Jimbo

Porcello earned another start with his performance yesterday. 3 innings, no runs. Bonderman and Zumaya scheduled to pitch Saturday, I think it's an inter-squad game, though. Just the same, it is "game" conditions, and I'm happy to see that.

Minor looked terrible today.
Between him and Robertson and Willis, if NO ONE pitches any better ..... what are they gonna do.

No one wants the last spot.

I have a solution, go back to a 4 man rotation.

I don't know why they changed to a 5 man in the first place.

Jimbo

PRONK IS BACK? OUCH!!!!!

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Jered Weaver lasted just two-thirds of an inning in his Cactus League debut on Tuesday -- and was counting his blessings he got that far.

A scorching line drive off the bat of the Indians' No. 3 hitter, Travis Hafner, caught the tip of Weaver's right ear on its way into center field for a single.
That ear was a brighter shade of red than the left one afterward as Weaver made light of what could have been a very heavy development in the big scheme of things.
"The ball was scared of how I looked, so it jumped out of my way at the last second," Weaver said, grinning.
Truth is, the 6-foot-7 right-hander knew he'd dodged a bullet -- and was just glad he got through his first outing physically intact. "I feel happy about that," Weaver said.

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Jered Weaver lasted just two-thirds of an inning in his Cactus League debut on Tuesday -- and was counting his blessings he got that far.

A scorching line drive off the bat of the Indians' No. 3 hitter, Travis Hafner, caught the tip of Weaver's right ear on its way into center field for a single.
That ear was a brighter shade of red than the left one afterward as Weaver made light of what could have been a very heavy development in the big scheme of things.
"The ball was scared of how I looked, so it jumped out of my way at the last second," Weaver said, grinning.
Truth is, the 6-foot-7 right-hander knew he'd dodged a bullet -- and was just glad he got through his first outing physically intact. "I feel happy about that," Weaver said.

Hiiiiiiioooooo!!!!! The Pronkster is back and lively as ever! Opposing pitchers, beware!

OK, who actually PLAYS sports?

Shaq once had a video game of his own- a fighting game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)