AL East 2010

I think that Milwaukee team finished fourth, with a losing record.

Detroit started about 40-10 one year in the 1980s when they won the pennant.

In baseball, it is almost impossible to win a lot in a row or lose a lot in a row because there are no heavy favorites. If the worst team in baseball is playing the best team, the worst team will be favored if their #1 starter is going against the other teams #5 starter and the game is being played at home. There is no situation comparable to that in any other sport.

Yup, according to the link, the Brewers finished the season at 91-71 and third place in the AL East.

1987 was like a tale of three seasons for the Brewers. They started the season 13-0 and 17-1 and were 42-43 at the ASB, but they still finished with a respectable record.

Bill, how come baseball teams dont get off to roaring starts like in hockey or basketball?

Teams almost never rocket out of the gate in baseball (other than the Atlanta Braves of 1982).

I think that Milwaukee team finished fourth, with a losing record.

Detroit started about 40-10 one year in the 1980s when they won the pennant.

In baseball, it is almost impossible to win a lot in a row or lose a lot in a row because there are no heavy favorites. If the worst team in baseball is playing the best team, the worst team will be favored if their #1 starter is going against the other teams #5 starter and the game is being played at home. There is no situation comparable to that in any other sport.

Your close AntAltMike, the '84 Tigers started the season with a startling 35-5 record and went from beginning to end in 1st place.

Your close AntAltMike, the '84 Tigers started the season with a startling 35-5 record and went from beginning to end in 1st place.

I was trying to find the '84 Tigers schedule to see how long thier typical streaks went, but was unable to find it on yahoo and google.

Shoppach's hit denies us debate for the ages....

On Sabathia's near no-no....

… it was nice to see Kelly Shoppach break up CC’s no hitter yesterday afternoon: “We should introduce Shoppach at this point, who caught many of Sabathia’s starts when both played for Cleveland. Shoppach isn’t buying the notion that Sabathia was done if he hadn’t hit a two-seam fastball for a no-doubt knock. But it’s true, he was told. That’s exactly what Girardi had said…Sabathia is too valuable to the Yankees and – no-hitter or not – it still counts as just one win. And Girardi never had to give Sabathia that ol’ big-picture speech. It was all thanks to Kelly Shoppach.”

Shoppach's hit denies us debate for the ages

He would have been castrated had he pulled a pitcher with a NO HITTER going into the ninth.

It's been done. I vaguely remember an Astros pitcher being pulled after eight innings back probably in the 1980s, but I don't remember who it was.

It's been done. I vaguely remember an Astros pitcher being pulled after eight innings back probably in the 1980s, but I don't remember who it was.

Pitch count might have come into play here, he was at 111 when pulled, thats quite a bit for this early in the season.
Most pitchers are only throwing about 6+ innings currently.

Pitch count might have come into play here, he was at 111 when pulled, thats quite a bit for this early in the season.
Most pitchers are only throwing about 6+ innings currently.

Yeah, but Sabathia has never pitched a no-hitter. I bet he would've put up a very good argument in going out for the 9th.

Rays-Red Sox starting tonight in the bottom of the 9th, after rain ended last night's game tied at 1.

Moments ago, Papi almost ended on the second pitch...............

Rays-Red Sox starting tonight in the bottom of the 9th, after rain ended last night's game tied at 1.

Moments ago, Papi almost ended on the second pitch...............

It would be really nice if Big Papi got it together and got over this rough stretch and started hitting reliably so they don't have to release him :rolleyes:

It would be really nice if Big Papi got it together and got over this rough stretch and started hitting reliably so they don't have to release him :rolleyes:

I think they'd bench Papi before they released him.

But then again, it would be tough versatility wise if two of the four players on your bench were Ortiz and Mikey Lowell.

The Red Sox squandered a bases loaded/nobody out situation in the bottom of the 11th, and then Pat Burrell just put a Manny Delcarmen meatball in the Monster seats.....................Rays 3, Sox 1...... bottom of 12th :rant::rant::rant:

Delcarmen just gave up a two run homer to Burrell. Funny thing about Delcarmen this year. Coming into this game he had pitched 3.2 innings over three appearances and even though he hadn't given up any runs, he had yet to throw a single pitch THIS YEAR that a batter swung at and missed. 17 pitches: all balls, foul balls/tips, or hits.

Delcarmen just gave up a two run homer to Burrell. Funny thing about Delcarmen this year. Coming into this game he had pitched 3.2 innings over three appearances and even though he hadn't given up any runs, he had yet to throw a single pitch THIS YEAR that a batter swung at and missed. 17 pitches: all balls, foul balls/tips, or hits.

He has 0 strikeouts ?
Then again I see he's only pitched a few innings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts