August Update Info

I've been seeing a problem with the OTA channels with them periodically freezing/stuttering momentarily, then continuing. This happens only with the OTA channels and occurs fairly regularly. It would be as if it's some kind of buffering issue, but that's just a guess.
I mentioned this because hopefully the U705 might address this.

This problem has been around for a year or so now. See this thread:

U502 has blown up OTA...again.

Changing the software ? If you mean the incremental updates (primarily for bug fixes) that they do, those should have little to no impact on add-on software like Netflix.
Yes, incremental updates SHOULD have little impact, but that is not always true. Incremental updates should also not affect things that were working before the update, but just look at how many times a new Dish software update breaks something that was previously working fine.

This problem has been around for a year or so now. See this thread:

U502 has blown up OTA...again.
Pathetic that still hasn't been fixed. I record a couple of shows off of our local PBS almost every week and they can be difficult to watch from the DVR. As I recall from that earlier thread, watching live is fine. It's only when you watch the recorded copy that the glitches show up. Is that still the case ?

It's only when you watch the recorded copy that the glitches show up. Is that still the case ?

Yes but if you setup a auto tune timer(from the Hopper) for the show that's on right before the one you want to record, the recording should be fine. Watching live from the Joeys is still messed up.

Yes but if you setup a auto tune timer(from the Hopper) for the show that's on right before the one you want to record, the recording should be fine. Watching live from the Joeys is still messed up.
This worked for me also :amen.....Thanks to Satellite Guys, is where I found out this trick before.

Steve

Reactions: gasman882001
Do what I did to fix the problem. Buy 1 or 2 CM DVR+ or similar units. And get a better OTA tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Since the 522 update I've been getting black screens. Once I even got the TV Logo doing a "Screen Saver" stroll over the screen. I didn't even know that my TV could or would do that. But the black screens can have audio and the OSD comes up just fine, but no picture. If you change to another channel, everything is fine. If you change back to the particular channel it is still black. And if recording the channel the recording is fine. This is really strange. It's as if the box is telling the TV, picture wise, to sleep as in a computer monitor. This has happened with my back turned, I have yet to see how it happens, I just encounter it after it has.

SandFarmer, I have seen the exact same thing happen to me with my HWS receiver. I have had this happen occasionally, even before the last software update. I have not been able to pin down the exact cause, but sometimes I think it occurs when I press buttons too fast for the HWS to respond to each push.

When the screen goes black, the sound still works, and I can view video on the other tuner by using the swap button. If something is recording on the black screen, the recording works fine. Sometimes, I can get the video back by playing around with the interface (switching to guide, settings, etc, and then going back to the video) but that is hit or miss and I can not reproduce it reliably.

If something is recording while this is happening, I wait until it is done, then reset the receiver. Resetting the receiver always brings back the video on the black screen.

Reactions: SandFarmer
SandFarmer, I have seen the exact same thing happen to me with my HWS receiver. I have had this happen occasionally, even before the last software update. I have not been able to pin down the exact cause, but sometimes I think it occurs when I press buttons too fast for the HWS to respond to each push.

When the screen goes black, the sound still works, and I can view video on the other tuner by using the swap button. If something is recording on the black screen, the recording works fine. Sometimes, I can get the video back by playing around with the interface (switching to guide, settings, etc, and then going back to the video) but that is hit or miss and I can not reproduce it reliably.

If something is recording while this is happening, I wait until it is done, then reset the receiver. Resetting the receiver always brings back the video on the black screen.

Hayup! And I thought I was going "Nutzer"! Actually I thought my TV was going out. But then when I saw the Screen Saver that totally threw me. I didn't know that these TV's even did that AND that kinda tells me that TV is working AND it was doing something that it "should", that really threw me.

I haven't tried jumping around to get the picture back because at those times there were other recordings going on and I didn't want to screw anything up. My first though was to "Pull the Plug" reset. I've only had it happen a couple of times and each was different. So before I do anything "drastic", I'm gonna observe a bit more.

Netflix is still back to no 4K or HDR that I saw on 1080p programming. Everything is HD.

This worked for me also :amen.....Thanks to Satellite Guys, is where I found out this trick before.

Steve

I run One auto tune per day at 6:00 pm and all is well.

No more joeys in the house; just 2 HWS and 3 fire sticks running the dish app.

The Dish anywhere app over iOS does not work for live ota. It stutters similar to reported Joey issues.

Definitely a software problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: TheKrell
I run One auto tune per day at 6:00 pm and all is well.

No more joeys in the house; just 2 HWS and 3 fire sticks running the dish app.

The Dish anywhere app over iOS does not work for live ota. It stutters similar to reported Joey issues.

Definitely a software problem.

Correction - dishanywhere via IOS for live OTA is now behaving properly.

So I’m all good for now.

That's crazy ! Crazy in that a) someone figured this out (or probably luck!) and b) that it works.

I have a Hopper2/sling and Friday I got the U705 update. I don't know what it all entails but one thing I noticed was that the Game Finder settings had changed. Since I got the update I've been watching football all day and now I'm getting these notifications that such and such is starting etc. I didn't have this before 705 and I checked the settings on my Hopper and in notifications I have TV enhancements in off mode. I checked everywhere else and couldn't find anything to turn them off. Any ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)