AXAS HIS Twin+ (Cheap Dual Tuner Enigma2 STB)

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
Axas HIS Twin, DVB-S2 Twin tuner Enigna 2 receiver, Wifi on board. Linux, Led Display.

DVB-S/S2 MPEG2 / MPEG 4 - H264 / H265 HEVC Compliant
Support full HD 720p , 1080i , 1080p
DiseqC 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3(USALS) Supported
Aspect Ration 16:9 or 4:3
CVBS/RGB/HD output Supported
2x USB High Speed port
USB 2.0 for PVR , Timeshift, SW update, Multimedia Playback

OS Linux, Hisilicon 3716/IV410 , 512MB DDR Memory , 256MB Flash Memory

2x DVB S2 input
1x RJ45
1x HDMI
1x Wifi on board
2x USB 2.0
1x AV
1x DC 12V/2A

screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg

Axas HIS Twin, DVB-S2 Twin tuner Enigna 2 receiver, Wifi on board. Linux, Led Display.

DVB-S/S2 MPEG2 / MPEG 4 - H264 / H265 HEVC Compliant
Support full HD 720p , 1080i , 1080p
DiseqC 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3(USALS) Supported
Aspect Ration 16:9 or 4:3
CVBS/RGB/HD output Supported
2x USB High Speed port
USB 2.0 for PVR , Timeshift, SW update, Multimedia Playback

OS Linux, Hisilicon 3716/IV410 , 512MB DDR Memory , 256MB Flash Memory

2x DVB S2 input
1x RJ45
1x HDMI
1x Wifi on board
2x USB 2.0
1x AV
1x DC 12V/2A

View attachment 156875
View attachment 156874

Have you used this box and are recommending it or wondering if someone else has and asking if it is worth purchasing?

I bought one of these units for under 50 bucks about 6 months ago. I bricked it, and it took me another 3 months to find the right guide on how to re-image the device and get it back working. I figured i could post some things here to help anyone that might have one of these devices.

It has 2 DVBS2 tuners on it.
It handles the HEVC h.265 codec.

First off, if you buy one of these things. Make a Image backup should you accidentally brick it. This device is very finicky about the USB flash drives it will support. As it turned out, i got a cheap USB flash drive when i went on a rafting trip, and they included the flash drive with my rafting pictures on it. Label that flash drive and use it just for the AXAS STB.

Here is a link to a raw image should you brick your unit :
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tbLAEmZI6k0AWiaCkdleH8a6LoYoLqLw/view

The USB drive should be formatted fat32.
The files should be uncompressed and copied to the flash drive and have a folder structure like : e2\update\

screenshot.4.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

To access the image restore feature on the box, hold down the GREEN key when you power it on, or hold down the POWER button when you power it on.

I would like to mention that if you don't have a detectable USB drive, you will NEVER see the 'Updt' : Update text on the Axas front screen. So, if you can't get the Update on the frong panel, try another USB flash drive. If your seeing the 'Updt' on the screen but it doesn't appear to work, or reboots quickly, then your files are not correctly placed in the right folder structure.

Once you back-up your own image, you could then restore directly to that, should you brick the unit in the future. I made a image backup and it made a .zip file that has the same files that were found in the update folder of the raw image.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Have you used this box and are recommending it or wondering if someone else has and asking if it is worth purchasing?

You replied too quickly.. Yes, i have one of these units.. I unbricked it about 2 months ago, but i didn't re-set it up. Today, i got all the Tuner configuration done and put in all my services/channels/boutiques and configured it and got the EPG plugin installed. I am going to make this a primary unit that will be used in the Kitchen. This will allow me to test it thoroughly and see how it compares.

I can tell one thing, i have a DreamBox unit that won't show video for some of the Venezuela channels on 34.5w . The AXAS plays them just fine. I really like that it has a dual tuner for so cheap. The unit is a little slow in response on the buttons scrolling through the menus, but the channel watching appears to have no issues.

Ps. I should add on how i originally bricked it. I used the ONLINE update feature, and i tripped on the power cord what seemed like hours into the update. That created an infinite reboot that took me months to work out.

Reactions: c-spand and FTA4PA
I bought one of these units for under 50 bucks about 6 months ago. I bricked it, and it took me another 3 months to find the right guide on how to re-image the device and get it back working. I figured i could post some things here to help anyone that might have one of these devices.

It has 2 DVBS2 tuners on it.
It handles the HEVC h.265 codec.

First off, if you buy one of these things. Make a Image backup should you accidentally brick it. This device is very finicky about the USB flash drives it will support. As it turned out, i got a cheap USB flash drive when i went on a rafting trip, and they included the flash drive with my rafting pictures on it. Label that flash drive and use it just for the AXAS STB.

Here is a link to a raw image should you brick your unit :
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tbLAEmZI6k0AWiaCkdleH8a6LoYoLqLw/view

The USB drive should be formatted fat32.
The files should be uncompressed and copied to the flash drive and have a folder structure like : e2\update\

View attachment 156878
View attachment 156876

To access the image restore feature on the box, hold down the GREEN key when you power it on, or hold down the POWER button when you power it on.

I would like to mention that if you don't have a detectable USB drive, you will NEVER see the 'Updt' : Update text on the Axas front screen. So, if you can't get the Update on the frong panel, try another USB flash drive. If your seeing the 'Updt' on the screen but it doesn't appear to work, or reboots quickly, then your files are not correctly placed in the right folder structure.

Once you back-up your own image, you could then restore directly to that, should you brick the unit in the future. I made a image backup and it made a .zip file that has the same files that were found in the update folder of the raw image.

You replied too quickly.. Yes, i have one of these units.. I unbricked it about 2 months ago, but i didn't re-set it up. Today, i got all the Tuner configuration done and put in all my services/channels/boutiques and configured it and got the EPG plugin installed. I am going to make this a primary unit that will be used in the Kitchen. This will allow me to test it thoroughly and see how it compares.

I can tell one thing, i have a DreamBox unit that won't show video for some of the Venezuela channels on 34.5w . The AXAS plays them just fine. I really like that it has a dual tuner for so cheap. The unit is a little slow in response on the buttons scrolling through the menus, but the channel watching appears to have no issues.

Ps. I should add on how i originally bricked it. I used the ONLINE update feature, and i tripped on the power cord what seemed like hours into the update. That created an infinite reboot that took me months to work out.

Looks ok and the price is definitely good. May be interested in one. Let us know how it performs for you over time. :)

Reactions: c-spand and iBoston
Well I'm sorry for bumping this old thread. I was looking to see if these are still available anywhere. Anyone selling/shipping these to US anymore?

Or better yet -- how did this box end up working out for you since last update?

Thanks in advance!

Yea, you can get them on aliexpress, but now the cheapest i saw was $85.oo .. That sounds a bit high to me...

I am actually using this unit now as my Radio STB. It is outside and feeds my Radio Station.

Reactions: byron