Bonds Stands Alone #756 *

No one is saying that Aaron was right in taking amphetamines. Simply that providing examples of what may ahve gone on earlier does not justify the level of steroid use the sport apparently experienceda few years ago. As for the idea that Aaron took steroids the article does not say that though it suggests the possibility.

Some of us ahve stated that we do not approve of the level of steroid use and that it si indeed a sad state of affairs that what was once the most sacred record in sports is now tainted. however many of us have been careful to point out that Bonds was not alone and that MLB itself certainly shares the blame for any controversy. Similarly none of us have ever justified the use of any banned substances. Personally I think that pointing out past indiscretions does not justify current ones but I suppose we all see things our own way.

i don't quite see how that is Bonds basing but if you want to call ti that go ahead.

The problem with your generalizing however, is that it appears the record as well as other records, may have been tainted for a long long time if what players from the 60's, 70's, etc., have been saying is true. If what's being said is true, the record is not now tainted but instead has been tainted for quite some time. Sorry if this messes with your mind about your heroes, but ....... I'm not justifying any current issues by pointing out past indiscretions; merely pointing out the hypocritical nature of some posts. Bonds just happens to be the fall-guy du jour.

No one is saying that Aaron was right in taking amphetamines. Simply that providing examples of what may ahve gone on earlier does not justify the level of steroid use the sport apparently experienceda few years ago. As for the idea that Aaron took steroids the article does not say that though it suggests the possibility.

Some of us ahve stated that we do not approve of the level of steroid use and that it si indeed a sad state of affairs that what was once the most sacred record in sports is now tainted. however many of us have been careful to point out that Bonds was not alone and that MLB itself certainly shares the blame for any controversy. Similarly none of us have ever justified the use of any banned substances. Personally I think that pointing out past indiscretions does not justify current ones but I suppose we all see things our own way.

i don't quite see how that is Bonds basing but if you want to call ti that go ahead.

bnds is not just the fall guy dujour-----people are actually being relatively fair by pointing out that he is not the only user and that MLB itself set up this situation. Arguing that many records may be questionable simply underlines the problem.

Most of us a e not singling out bonds for the balme nio matter how hard you pretend that we are. There is a problem and he and that record are just symptoms of it.

I'm not pretending anything ... For the most part, Bonds "is" being singled out. When you say that the home run record "is now tainted" that alone singles out Bonds. No pretending necessary ......

bnds is not just the fall guy dujour-----people are actually being relatively fair by pointing out that he is not the only user and that MLB itself set up this situation. Arguing that many records may be questionable simply underlines the problem.

Most of us a e not singling out bonds for the balme nio matter how hard you pretend that we are. There is a problem and he and that record are just symptoms of it.

It si tainted by the controversy. Bonds is not the sole cause of the controversy and that has been said several times. But somehow or another we keep coming back to thea ccusation that bonds is being singled out.

No, I don't feel the same. However, I feel that may be in part due to my own ignorance of facts. In the days of old media, it was known that past Presidents had affairs and/or infirmities; yet the media never reported on these subjects due to privacy concerns for the afflicted or offending person. In today's times, it doesn't matter who is the offending or afflicted person. Everything is fair game so to speak. I draw this analogy to sports, because today everything is fair game as well. Did players use speed, bennies, greenies ... whatever you'd like to call them in the earlier days of baseball? I would have to say yes, although it was not readily known to the public. Have players today tried to enhance their abilities using modern technology and perhaps banned substances? I would have to again say yes. Though, our knowledge of its use is much more magnified and known due to the scourge of tabloid journalism. So again to answer your question, Do I feel the same now as when Aaron held the record? Probably not, though I believe that's due in part to my own ignorance of what possibly transpired behind the scenes versus what we're being force fed today on a daily basis. Sometimes ignorance can be blissful in a world filled with skepticism.

I'm curious Sidekick. Do you feel the same about the record as you did when Aaron held it? I'm simply stating that I don't.