C Band 6 Foot

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, my dish is scheduled to be delivered today! I am going to catch up on all my yard work so I will have time to devote to it since Fedex doesn't come until 3 pm at the earliest. I will probably be here tomorrow crying because I can't get it setup right so you have been warned!

:D

With all this C band talk lately you Guys got me itching to roll out the old 10 footer my father-in-law gave me.Not digging a hole for this one because I hope to sell my house soon.Maybe I can lean it up against my shed.

john green said:
With all this C band talk lately you Guys got me itching to roll out the old 10 footer my father-in-law gave me.Not digging a hole for this one because I hope to sell my house soon.Maybe I can lean it up against my shed.

I would :)

6 Foot C Band Dish Day 1

Well, the FedEx man finally showed up with a rather heavy package while I was eating dinner-my 6 footer! Wolfed down dinner and got started about 6 pm. It didn’t go too bad but let’s say Iceberg’s assembly time of one hour for this model will be unchallenged by me. :eek: After about 2 and a half hours, which included setting up a work table and geting out tools and such, it was getting dark so I called it a day. I have the dish together and the frame is standing on its own. Now I just need to figure out how to get the two together. Shouldn’t take too long tomorrow.

It is a very nice dish-lightweight (for a 6 footer) but still sturdy. Very clever way of adjusting the elevation by turning a large knob. This dish is really made for “ghetto moving”. Well, hopefully tomorrow will bring a completely assembled dish and my first analog feeds! :)

Tracy
I assume the 6 gold pieces that attach the frame to the dish are on the dish side? Hope so :)

Here is what I did to get it to work.
-Take the frame, loosen the elevation knob and push it all the way up (so the top "O" looks straight up and down
-Pick the dish up by the center (the center plate I didnt put in until the end and tip it straight up
-scoot the frame next to the dish
-tip the frame and get the brackets to fit onto the "O" ring.
-put a couple of the screws through the brackets

-tip the frame back. This will tip the dish up and relieve the pressure :)

I threw a sandbag on the back and put the rest of the bolts in which attached the dish to the frame. Another way is bring the elevation piece all the way in to make the dish look like its pointing straight up then tighten the bolts :D

Iceberg said:
Tracy
I assume the 6 gold pieces that attach the frame to the dish are on the dish side? Hope so :)

Haven't got that far-they are still on the table. :)

Iceberg said:
Here is what I did to get it to work.
-Take the frame, loosen the elevation knob and push it all the way up (so the top "O" looks straight up and down
-Pick the dish up by the center (the center plate I didnt put in until the end and tip it straight up
-scoot the frame next to the dish
-tip the frame and get the brackets to fit onto the "O" ring.
-put a couple of the screws through the brackets

-tip the frame back. This will tip the dish up and relieve the pressure :)

I threw a sandbag on the back and put the rest of the bolts in which attached the dish to the frame. Another way is bring the elevation piece all the way in to make the dish look like its pointing straight up then tighten the bolts :D

I think I see what you mean. If I get the gold things figured out I shouldn't have too much trouble.

uh oh....problem

the gold pieces go between the pieces of the dish

edit: my bad. Just went outside and looked. They go on one side of a bolt
so the screw on the 2nd to inside bolt (the one 2nd from the center) goes
nut/piece/piece/gold bracket/bolt

Attachments

• IM000836.JPG
    IM000836.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Thanks for the info-much appreciated! I might have to back a few bolts out that I shouldn't have put in but not a big deal. Appreciate the pic too-I printed it out as I did much of the stuff on Sadoun's site.

:up

Iceberg said:
if digiblur can lean it on a wagon, I think you can put it up against a shed

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Make that a wooden pallet, wagon, and plastic dog food tub. I had to add some stabilizers due to the lower elevation of G10R.

Someday a kid will grab the wagon or a dog will run off with the dog food tub and you'll be out tweaking! ;)

I'm almost afraid to ask...

Pictures? :D

digiblur said:
ROTFLMAO!!!!! Make that a wooden pallet, wagon, and plastic dog food tub. I had to add some stabilizers due to the lower elevation of G10R.
Yea my shed does not appear to be in a good spot.I might have to rig something else up.I am open to suggestions.It's a 10 footer so it should be interesting.

Day 2

I called it a day for today-it’s supposed to rain the rest of the day and it looks like it’s ready to start any time. I have everything together (hopefully the right way). My time was a little behind Iceberg-six hours total! So I guess he’s six times the man I am! :)

Here’s what I did to hopefully get aligned right. I aimed my pallet facing roughly 219 (my heading for G4-the target sat). Then I set the compass right on the pallet (away from nails) and fine tuned. I then put the dish on the pallet and faced it strait ahead using the pallet boards and the three main supports on the base as a guide.

I did a quick “ghetto scan” and came up empty before then skies grew dark. I was a little disappointed by this since I am using a strong TP (15 H World Harvest) and analog is more forgiving.

Questions:

1. How do I set my skew? I need 20 for G4 so I just pointed it up and turned slightly.
2. How do I get the elevation “in the ballpark”? I was surprised there is no scale on the dish. My target elevation is 37.5.
3. How fast does analog respond to dish movement? Should my adjustments be very slow?
4. If I am clearing tress with my FTA dish, shouldn’t I be able to clear the same obstructions with this dish? There is a bush 22 feet away that is no more than 10 feet tall. According to BJ Homesat calculator, I should clear it with no trouble. Then there is a small tree that might be 20 feet high but is about 30 feet away.

Any help appreciated. :up

1. How do I set my skew? I need 20 for G4 so I just pointed it up and turned slightly.
Put the LNB at 3:00 or 9:00 and skew from there. Something on the BSC421 is goofy and skew is off by 90 degrees
2. How do I get the elevation “in the ballpark”? I was surprised there is no scale on the dish. My target elevation is 37.5.
I try and get the cleanest picture on the analog, then blind scan and go from there
3. How fast does analog respond to dish movement? Should my adjustments be very slow?
Instant. Think of tuning a TV antenna. Snow to picture to snow :D Move it how you want until the picture comes in, then slowly move it till the picture is clean.
4. If I am clearing tress with my FTA dish, shouldn’t I be able to clear the same obstructions with this dish? There is a bush 22 feet away that is no more than 10 feet tall. According to BJ Homesat calculator, I should clear it with no trouble. Then there is a small tree that might be 20 feet high but is about 30 feet away.
Should be able to

Thing to realize is the 6 foot is prime focus so its at a much higher angle then the offset dishes when aiming.

Tracy,
You should be able to figure out the elevation of the dish with an angle finder, available at most hardware stores.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts