College Dorm Solution

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TopRamen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Heya,

I'm planning on going away to college in Saint Cloud, MN, and i already know, that i will be missing my favorite channels that aren't on cable there, but ARE FTA.

So I got to thinkin... I wanna see if i can use a FTA system in my dorm. I asked the guys at the college, and they are legally required to allow me to put up a dish, as long as it doesn't interfeare with other tenants (can't put it up on someone else's patio, etc.)

What's the Best (and cheapest) FTA system for a college student?

If you know what you are doing and you don't mind entering all the parameters manually the Traxis 2500 system is a good(cheap) place to start, it can be motorised at any time in the future and has a great picture, its also ideal for pointing just at one satellite as a fixed dish system. If you need the blind/smart/power scan feature the price starts to rise, fixed system with blind scan I would say the Satwork 3618 blind scan receiver, then if money is no object the Fortec and Pansats have it all.

Of course the most cost effective way into FTA satellite is to contact your local friendly satellite dealer/installer who may well have a few used systems for sale!

TopRamen said:
i will be missing my favorite channels that aren't on cable there, but ARE FTA.
Hmm, I assume that you aren't planning to put a C-band dish on your balcony. So, just curious, what are these FTA Ku-band channels that you'd be missing? ImaginAsian? The Research Channel? Empire Sports Network? Lick TV? :)

Before spending the $$ make sure you have the right view of the sats. Get a compass and find the setting for each sat you want.

Good luck and write us back if you get it running.

TopRamen said:
Heya,

I'm planning on going away to college in Saint Cloud, MN, and i already know, that i will be missing my favorite channels that aren't on cable there, but ARE FTA.

So I got to thinking... I wanna see if i can use a FTA system in my dorm. I asked the guys at the college, and they are legally required to allow me to put up a dish, as long as it doesn't interfeare with other tenants (can't put it up on someone else's patio, etc.)

What's the Best (and cheapest) FTA system for a college student?

Make sure you have a good view to the south :)

If you need help, let us know. Theres a few of us in the Twin Cities who could help (for some money or Top Ramen...hee hee :D)

Whatever you decide to do, don't let your college buddies convert the dish into a makeshift beer bong :D. Your TV reception will look blurry (or maybe it's just the beer) . If you are not of legal age to drink, disregard this entire message. We only promote legal activities on this site :) :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts