SOLVED! The 5G Challenge and solutions

The problem has been solved!
Without a bandpass filter, out of target frequency interference

We tested low pass L band filters at 1450MHz (=3700MHz RF) to null the LNB gain at 3650MHz and there was no relief from the interference for the simple reason that once the interference goes through the LNB's amplification stages it can not be removed passed the down conversation. The 5G LNB has filters at the front end before amplification.

We filter the C1 and C2 models in the conversion stage. Yes, bandpass filtering can be applied at any point of the distribution, with increased or decreased effectiveness. The inline coax filter L-band solutions for IF bandpass filtering are useless. Too bad these are being sold as a solution.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
I got 5g Antennas in my area, and I have notice the weak signal no longer come in, and some of the strongest signals are someone weaker. Others not affect at all.

Show us more about those 5G scalar rings. I've seen a little discussion on those from a satellite hobby group from Latin America. They apparently have helped improve SNR a little bit without having to change out LNBFs or feedhorns. I looked them up on ebay au but they are pricey with shipping to the states.

The larger feedhord provides better illumination of the dish, lowers the phase noise. On an 8' dish you can get up to 1dB MER improvement.

Reactions: Brct203 and k.r.
Moving forward, recently commissioned Bangabandhu 1 at 119.1°E - LyngSat is downlinking at 4.5 to 4.9GHz the LNB has a Local Oscillator of 5950Mhz.
we also have a few satellites using that band in the Atlantic and Americas regions, primarily aimed at Latin America: Hispasat 6W30 @30W (but no video service that I'm aware of), SES6 @40W, Amazonas @61W and Eutelsat 65WA @65W

suitable LNBs can be obtained from Norsat but quite expensive, and I've seen some cheap LNBFs being sold by Brazilian resellers.

C Band LNB 5150 and a 5950 STARGOLD SG-5950 PRO Made by Gospel Shenzhen
5950LNB.jpg

Reactions: k.r. and Brct203
I wonder if offset feeds are less susceptible to the interference. If so, would it be significant enough to justify buying a large (greater than or equal to (>=) 3 meter) C-band offset. Also, I was wondering if it's possible to modify a prime focus to an offset but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

I wonder if offset feeds are less susceptible to the interference. If so, would it be significant enough to justify buying a large (greater than or equal to (>=) 3 meter) C-band offset. Also, I was wondering if it's possible to modify a prime focus to an offset but it doesn't sound like a good idea.
The Prime focus is a true parabolic shape, so the highest signal gain is going to be at the center point. Putting an LNBF on it offset just wouldn't work.

Returning back to one of the ways we used to block or attenuate terrestrial interference to C-band systems from the telephone companies in the 80s... Place the dish behind a structure to attenuate the interfering signals. Used to use steel pole barns, garages, homes and even erect checken wite or hardware cloth as effective RF walls to block telco (microwave) PTP interference.

I agree. In North America, do not buy a filter or move the dish, yet. Wait to see if or what interference affects your reception . This way you will know the direction of the signal(s), the frequency of the interferring signal(s) then develop a plan to mitigate. You may decide to purchase an intermediate filtering solution during the frequency transition or wait until all frequency transitions have been completed. The transitions will happen in two phases and transponders may remain active in the two current lower frequency divisions. Some locations will not be affected at all. Wait and see...
I totally agree especially until phase 2 of the 5g movement is totally completed