Common topic but I'm stumped

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

takeback

Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
US
Cancelling my DTV account and want to transfer the programs to my hard drive and/or DVDs.

I have a 1 TB external drive and a DVD Rom on my desktop.

My box is an R15-300 receiver.

The card on my desktop has S-video and RCA video ins, and a single 1/8" audio in.

Is this adequate for quality capture?
Do I need additional software aside from the DVD burner?

Sorry for the noob questions- a true novice.

if you have a video capture card and media center or other capture software, that is all you need. you won't be able to copy them at high speed though, it will be real time as they play. i recommend you copy them BEFORE you cancel, as the DVR will cease functioning at some point after cancellation. it may be the next day, it may be 2 weeks, but it will stop even playing back recorded programs.

Why are you Canceling DTV

Why would you cancel Directv? cable is not really the best way to go in my opinion. I have worked in the broadcasting industry for almost 27 years and I can tell you the cable companies rates will continue to rise and programming will lower. DTV is the way to go.

Why would you cancel Directv? cable is not really the best way to go in my opinion. I have worked in the broadcasting industry for almost 27 years and I can tell you the cable companies rates will continue to rise and programming will lower. DTV is the way to go.

Depends on the Cable company. I had Charter forever, I was always happy with it. As far as rates, they have been fine. Before I switched to DTV my bill was $154 a month for biggest cable package, 2 receivers, high speed internet and unlimited nationwide phone service.

When I canceled my cable with Charter they asked why I was switching. I could tell they were waiting for me to bash them but I simply said that I deprived myself of the NFL ST long enough and a few other channels. Told them I have always been happy with their service and had the been able to get NFL ST I would not be changing, which is true. Of course this gave them zero ammo to try and keep me.

If DTV isn't all I'm hoping it to be, I would switch back to Charter.

Also, Charter has so much better internet then AT&T which is partners with DTV.

Depends on the Cable company. I had Charter forever, I was always happy with it. As far as rates, they have been fine. Before I switched to DTV my bill was $154 a month for biggest cable package, 2 receivers, high speed internet and unlimited nationwide phone service.

When I canceled my cable with Charter they asked why I was switching. I could tell they were waiting for me to bash them but I simply said that I deprived myself of the NFL ST long enough and a few other channels. Told them I have always been happy with their service and had the been able to get NFL ST I would not be changing, which is true. Of course this gave them zero ammo to try and keep me.

If DTV isn't all I'm hoping it to be, I would switch back to Charter.

Also, Charter has so much better internet then AT&T which is partners with DTV.

This as it is with most things is up for debate.

Alot has to do with Location, Location, Location.

if you have a video capture card and media center or other capture software, that is all you need. you won't be able to copy them at high speed though, it will be real time as they play. i recommend you copy them BEFORE you cancel, as the DVR will cease functioning at some point after cancellation. it may be the next day, it may be 2 weeks, but it will stop even playing back recorded programs.

I have the card I described above which I think should work (based on the inputs it has). I don't have any software.

Is there capture software that is recommended? I'm willing to buy a software package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts