D*'s REALLY trying to get the word out about the MPEG4 requirement

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The single TV antenna is most certainly true here in Mid-MO. I put mine in the attic and it is working great. Once I get all of my TV's replaced with HD I will probably drop D*'s local channels. Especially since the word is that D* won't carry the sub-channels. The local news/weather on "demand" is very handy even if it is on SD.

Just FYI that you can't actually drop locals, they are included in every package now. Only way to not pay for them is if they aren't actually available in your market.

Or - as we hear repeated reports, how identical OTA is now to MPEG4.

This is D*'s way to make more money .... Those of us that use OTA are very happy with it, I look at it as D* trying to push people to get the locals thru them, there are a good number of people who do NOT want D*'s locals unless they are free.

OTA IS FREE and works when the signal does happen to be gone due to bad weather.

Jimbo

RE: No OTA. I personally prefer OTA and in fact need it for my NBC since it's owned by LIN and not on any sat provider. Having said that, of all the people I know with HD only 2 others have an antenna. All the others say "that's what cable/dbs is for, why would I want an ugly antenna". Sure they don't get it but that's 90+% of the people with cable or sat. They don't want an antenna and don't care if there are subchannels out there they won't watch anyway.

I too perfer my OTA antenna

What's even neater, is the sub channel with weather radar - great for tracking those summer t-storms!

We had a really good local radar for several years on the sub channel, but it went away, the local station said those now needed to be assigned for other things, (poss. children programming, but not surer anymore, it's been awhile now).
Incidently, there has been NOTHING on that channel since !

Jimbo

Just FYI that you can't actually drop locals, they are included in every package now. Only way to not pay for them is if they aren't actually available in your market.

Not true.
I dropped my locals, is is now included in the packages, but I no longer pay for them. $5 here and there adds up.....

Jimbo

Three of our locals had weather info on their subchannels but they also pulled them due to the FCC regulations saying they needed to also run a certain % of childrens programming just like the main channels need to run. What a stupid ruling, but then again we're talking about the FCC here.

Obviously you have not viewed the HD lils that are being provided by DirecTV in MPEG4.

And you obviously have not viewed the HD LIL's from the Boston DMA on D*. The NBC and CBS look worse than what I used to get on BEV and NESNHD in MPEG4 is a joke.

BTW, don't the majority of HDTV's being sold now include a built in ATSC tuner, use that vs. the H21 if you really need OTA.

My 51-inch purhchased in 2003 does not. Are you seriously suggesting that I toss it and plunk-down upwards of $1000 on a replacement, b/c D* pulled a $40 tuner board that whose cost is ultimately buried in the "leasing fee"?

I've also got 2 smaller HD screens, Toshiba and Konka, both with ATSC tuners. Neither built-in tuner can hold a fart to the H20's ATSC.

Obviously you have not viewed the HD lils that are being provided by DirecTV in MPEG4.

My HD lils are as good as OTA. I want the ATSC for the subchannels. Last Saturday my FOX affiliate carried the weekly regional MLB game, with a minor league game on subchannel 2, and the full-time local weather channel on -3. All of them crystal-clear, while my TV's ATSC showed a load of snow.

The H20 is far from perfect, but it's got an excellent ATSC section.

My 51-inch purhchased in 2003 does not. Are you seriously suggesting that I toss it and plunk-down upwards of $1000 on a replacement, b/c D* pulled a $40 tuner board that whose cost is ultimately buried in the "leasing fee"?

I've also got 2 smaller HD screens, Toshiba and Konka, both with ATSC tuners. Neither built-in tuner can hold a fart to the H20's ATSC.

I don't recall ever saying that you should toss your four year old 51" TV, I said the majority of HDTV's being sold NOW, not 4 years ago, have built in ATSC tuners so folks that have purchased a RECENT HDTV, not one 4 years ago, may not really care about the H21 not having an ATSC tuner in it if it costs them less then the H20 and they don't care about ATSC. It's all about having choices since I haven't seen anything saying that D* was going to discontinue the H20 or HR20, have you? And about your two smaller HD screens, if you weren't happy with the built in ATSC tuner then you should have returned them and purchased something you were happy with, if that's at all possible.

I hear they are downrezzed to 1440x1088i. The widespread acceptance of them as perfect must mean that either there are a lot of glasses needed out there, a lot of sets not capable of 1920x1080i or a lot of multicasting going on. Even more reason for that OTA benchmark. Why is there a fear of keeping OTA around for comparison? What has not having seen them have to do with not wanting to lose that benchmark comparison ability?

I don't recall ever saying that you should toss your four year old 51" TV, I said the majority of HDTV's being sold NOW, not 4 years ago, have built in ATSC tuners so folks that have purchased a RECENT HDTV, not one 4 years ago, may not really care about the H21 not having an ATSC tuner in it if it costs them less then the H20 and they don't care about ATSC. It's all about having choices since I haven't seen anything saying that D* was going to discontinue the H20 or HR20, have you? And about your two smaller HD screens, if you weren't happy with the built in ATSC tuner then you should have returned them and purchased something you were happy with, if that's at all possible.

First, no you did not say I should toss it. I'll ignore the rest of your rant about my 4-year-old sceen. The point is there are a *lot* of people who don't have a built-in tuner but still want to periodically upgrade their D* equipment.

My smaller screens (32 and 23 inches) have excellent pictures and I bought them primarily to use with a D* IRD, not the built-in tuner. I happened to compare each built-in to the H20, and found the H20 far better than a run-of-the-mill built-in tuner.

Why do you have so much trouble acknowledging that D* did a better job with ATSC reception and decode than most tv manufacturers?

D* has a history of pushing people toward OTA for supplementary local programming. Now they've got a lot of people who actually use that portion of their IRD and get worthwhile subchannels. Removing that tuner and telling people it's an upgrade is idiotic... and the tone of other posts supports my assertion.

I don't recall ever saying that you should toss your four year old 51" TV, I said the majority of HDTV's being sold NOW, not 4 years ago, have built in ATSC tuners so folks that have purchased a RECENT HDTV, not one 4 years ago,

The FCC mandated that all TV's sold from 2006 forward will have a HDTV tuner in it.

Jimbo

I hear they are downrezzed to 1440x1088i. The widespread acceptance of them as perfect must mean that either there are a lot of glasses needed out there, a lot of sets not capable of 1920x1080i or a lot of multicasting going on. Even more reason for that OTA benchmark. Why is there a fear of keeping OTA around for comparison? What has not having seen them have to do with not wanting to lose that benchmark comparison ability?

V,
There is NO provider out there that runs at 1920x1080i on all channels., why are you making out that D* is the one doing this ?, when everyone else does this or less.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts