DIRECTV statement regarding NFL HD 2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You know, I now understand why the internet can be a terrible thing...

Scott made a statement that he was told that TLE's indicated problems, but he admitted he couldn't read them himself.

I asked people on the other site if that evaluation is accurate, because I can't read them either.

I got two replies that said, just from the figures and facts with no partisan crap, they didn't see any problems. Another couple that denegrated Scott, and both threads (there and here) exploded into name calling and rumor mongering.

Sorry, Scott, it was innocent...guess I didn't understand how horrific this forum stuff can get. I have great respect for you, this forum and the other site, and have gotten great information from all.

Guess I lost my innocence (at 40, no less) to how out of control these things can get. As the cow who kicked over the lamp, I apologize.

No worries PWenger.

Let the data speak for itself. I can only report what I hear.

Again I don't know how to read TLE's. But those who do have reported to me the same issues which I heard from inside the industry.

Take it for what its worth. :)

All I know Scott is any kind of internet journalist with any kind of credibility/ethics would not make a statement like you made. Again, prepare to have to apologize.

Again as I said Mike, if the shoe fits.

I have no reason to make up anything (as I was accused of) nor am I trying to get back at DirecTV as was also claimed. Just reporting what I hear and I also posted it as a rumor.

If the fanboys want to block their ears and play dumb, there is nothing I can do about it.

This is the last argument we will have on this, if you dont like it, then thanks for stopping by.

Hey if the shoe fits...

I have to agree on some level. There are quite a few apologists. The only way to get answers is by asking questions. When a question is asked why do I hear you will get the info when it is released. These are public forums who do not have to report to D*. (or do they?)

I would say for them, they do report to DirecTV. I have seen Earl post a number of times that if DirecTV requests them to remove a thread they will remove it.

They say they don't post unofficial information or stuff that does not come out from a press release.

If that is true, then can someone explain the CE program to me?

Don't get me wrong, I like and respect Earl. In fact I think that me and Earl are a lot alike. I enjoyed talking with him a few weeks ago, and its possible I may take a trip up to Chicago and meet with him in person (My wifes mother does not live to far from him)

I am enjoying the technical discussion on ths at DBSTalk, the work of folks like dcben and lamelefty deserves to be applauded. I don't know how to read TLE's I will be the first to admit it. But the information I was given was from folks who do and I trust these folks who have been long time members of the satellite community and their information matched what I was told by people in the industry.

I do need to take exception however to this comment made by LameLefty
Jeez, even if the sky really WAS falling (and I don't believe it is, speaking as a former spacecraft design engineer here), D11 is still almost ready to go itself, and D12 ain't far behind in its role as a ground spare.
Yes D11 is almost ready, but thats the EASY part.
They still need to launch it (we had another rocket failure last week) then test it and move it into proper orbit, and as we have seen with DirecTV 10, it has taken a long time. After all this is rocket science. :D

I also got to admit, I am very EXCITED by DirecTV 10 and can't wait for it to get there. :)

Let me just add one more thing...

A few people have PMed me and said this would be "Great" of the rumor of DirecTV 10 having issues is true, that it would be a "great" this for Dish Network.

I need to disagree with that, and hope that it's not true.

My big fear is if there was trouble, Charlie would sit on his hands and not roll out new HD. That would be bad for EVERYONE.

If there is an issue with DirecTV 10, the thing I could see being a problem is the signal going from strong to weak as the satellite goes through its orbit. The problem is this is KA band and that signal is VERY narrow, which is why if this was true the problem would be worse then if it was a KU band signal.

I belive what I said above is correct, you technical guys can correct me if I am wrong.

Let me just add one more thing...

A few people have PMed me and said this would be "Great" of the rumor of DirecTV 10 having issues is true, that it would be a "great" this for Dish Network.

I need to disagree with that, and hope that it's not true.

My big fear is if there was trouble, Charlie would sit on his hands and not roll out new HD. That would be bad for EVERYONE.

If there is an issue with DirecTV 10, the thing I could see being a problem is the signal going from strong to weak as the satellite goes through its orbit. The problem is this is KA band and that signal is VERY narrow, which is why if this was true the problem would be worse then if it was a KU band signal.

I belive what I said above is correct, you technical guys can correct me if I am wrong.

I could not agree more. As i was reading throught he post I was wondering the same thing. While I do have Dish I want Direct to get all of the hd as possible. The more for you the more for us. Period

Competition is always good. Competition makes a better and lower priced product. I hope the rumored d10 problems are just that rumors. I want more HD!.

You Scott bashers need to back off. He does his level best to get us the information about what is going on in the satellite world whether it's info we want to hear or not. I agree with Scott that if there really is a problem that it would be bad for everybody; Directv, Dish, and yes Cable too.

For the record this is Earl's take on this matter.

Well.....

#1) I haven't been following the thread religiously...
#2) I have been enroute to the airport for the last couple hours

Hence why I haven't replied.

Anyway...
Unless something has radically gone wrong since Friday evening (the last time I talked with my primary contact)... there is nothing wrong with D10.

As for "firings".... don't know anything about that.
But I'll send some mails around...

So this is not a confirmation, or denial... but given that I haven't been flooded with email messages......

I'll let you know.

My contact now tells me that the scuttlebutt around his office is that the handover to D* is imminent. No problems that they know of. I take it as a positive since he called me back with this.

In response to Earl,

1) I will let the TLE numbers speak for themself, and I think we should all hope and pray they get the inclination under control. Remember this is a KA bird not KU so the beam is much tighter.

2) On the firings.. I am not sure if they are firings or people quit. From what I am told Most of them were on the retail side of things.

My contact now tells me that the scuttlebutt around his office is that the handover to D* is imminent. No problems that they know of. I take it as a positive since he called me back with this.
Yes that is what I was just told as well.

I guess people are fearfull of Liberty and dont know where they stand.

Let's just lay off Scott, please. He does the best he can with the info he is given. Being a D* sub I would be disappointed if something is wrong with D10, but it is not the end of the world. Everyone take a deep breath and relax, have a beer, and let's see what happens.

In response to Earl,

1) I will let the TLE numbers speak for themself, and I think we should all hope and pray they get the inclination under control. Remember this is a KA bird not KU so the beam is much tighter.

The tigher beam I would think is on the receiving end of the signal, not the transmitting end since the single beam is covering the entire CONUS.

I am hearing not so good things myself, it's still up in the air how bad things will get for directv but it will get bad to some extent. Mainly because they insisted on releasing press releases promising certain hd channels before they knew the sat was even going to work properly. Just last week they confirmed again a fulltime tbs hd channel for the mlb playoffs. PR nightmare.

I have read this entire thread with interest and will reserve judgement untill the whole thing settles, if there is any judgement needed, which I doubt. Though I do need to point out that you TVBob, err, Questioner do not, I repeat, do not have any credibility at all especially compared to Scott, Scobuck and the rest. You also just piled on and added absolutely nothing in your statement. I don't believe a freakin thing you say and would love to hear your sources. Don't like to bash individuals but the statement of yours was so transparent it's sick. So, sorry to the rest of you trying to have a legit conversation but Questioner, shut the heck up.
And how did this discussion get in this thread?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)