DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Why would anyone think they are going to run out and add new channels right away? They issue a press release with some standard marketing drivel, we all know the deal. There is at least a two week window that an AMC deal could still break out.

Hopefully this will open up transponder and money for some new content, but they aren't going to enter into a new commitment right now. They are probably going to step back and let this settle before even entering into any new serious negotiations. The only fair comparison will be to compare line ups a year from now - at that point is your overall package count and content up, down, or about the same?
I doubt that there will be more room on the sats. I fully expect them to leave them going on the uplink but just change availability to the customer.

The only thing to be careful about with youngsters with the Dish Latino packs is Playboy en Espanol as it is included in the pack at no extra charge. I am not sure if you have to ask about it to get it, but it is listed as $0.00 since it is included in the packs. However, that is what adult guard and channel blocks are for.

When I had Dish Latino that includes Playboy E I had to ask for it to be turned on. They told me yes it is available to everyone that has the package but since some don't want it for reasons you alluded to they only turn it on when they are asked to do so.

MikeD-C05 said:
I would love it if DISH would drop both Disney and ESPN. Don't watch either channel and if it would drop my monthly bill by $5.00- $10.00 a month I would love it even more. But.... just like we won't see a drop in our monthly bills when we lose AMC, IFC, WE and Sundance, we wouldn't see a drop in price if the ESPN and Disney channels were dropped .

Dish Latino Dos has only Disney XD and ESPN en Espanol. I think the Welcome Pack and Dish Family do not have the Disney and ESPN channels.

I keep seeing posts about getting a refund or a reduction in bill for losing three channels. Forgetting many are not losing three channels, and in my opinion have better channels, lets go with everyone is losing three channels. Here's why you do not want a reduction in your bill or won't get one, now.

1. Did you get an increase in your bill every time Dish added a channel at the time they added it? No. And I don't want them to.

2. Over a period of time it probably evens out. Channels come, and they go, or you get added value with HD added.

3. When it comes time to raise rates, and especially in this economy, Dish can raise rates less than they would have if in the end they do have less of a programming cost then before. OR - it might allow them to negotiate a higher cost than they really want to, without raising rates over it, but it's a channel they really can't lose.

4. There is also getting something else in return if you call. I saw someone got a month of a premium channel. Not sure that's so good, but it probably is more monetarily than you lost in those channels

Last edited:
Let's have some fun with this as we count down the last hours any good memories anyone wants to share :)

Tampa8 said:
I keep seeing posts about getting a refund or a reduction in bill for losing three channels. Forgetting many are not losing three channels, and in my opinion have better channels, lets go with everyone is losing three channels. Here's why you do not want a reduction in your bill or won't get one, now.

1. Did you get an increase in your bill every time Dish added a channel at the time they added it? No. And I don't want them to.

2. Over a period of time it probably evens out. Channels come, and they go, or you get added value with HD added.

3. When it comes time to raise rates, and especially in this economy, Dish can raise rates less than they would have if in the end they do have less of a programming cost then before. OR - it might allow them to negotiate a higher cost than they really want to, without raising rates over it, but it's a channel they really can't lose.

4. There is also getting something else in return if you call. I saw someone got a month of a premium channel. Not sure that's so good, but it probably is more monetarily than you lost in those channels

I get what you are saying, but for those who already have these channels, we get screwed. Dish's statement about replacing lost channels with better ones is insulting for us. Did they think we wouldn't notice? That is what the outage is about. Sure for those with a lesser package it's good, but those that already pay more get less.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Tampa8 said:

How is taking away 3 channels and replacing them with 2 that everyone besides the welcome pack people who had AMC already got and HDNet movies giving us better channels? You are saying HDNet Movies is better than AMC, IFC, and We combined? Well I have to say that I strongly disagree with that. Also, everyone keeps forgetting that Sundance was part of this deal too.

No matter how say it or how many times you say it you're just never going to convince me that Dish is doing us a favor here. Dish is not some moral company that is looking out for our interests. People always say its the channel that's being greedy but I think dish is just as greedy.

Good points...especially #1....but not for all subscribers...as an AEP subscriber I lost channels but gained none....and Dish did offer a retention credit. With the competition offering dirt cheap contracts a smart move on their part.

Last edited:
Bring back Smithsonian channel.
Looking at the program schedule, it doesn't appear that they've addressed the issue that caused DISH to dump it in the first place: lack of new programming. After several years, they're not much further along than their 18 month programming library goals.

Don't forget to close the door, Qball. What are you going to do if AMC tries to pull the same thing on D*?

Won't have to worry because DirecTV usually settles before it is pulled and the few times they don't the channels are usually only gone for a couple of days

NotMe546 said:
And I bet you will be able to thank Dish and AT&T for that.

Perhaps? That and Directs track record for negotiations (that does not mean they've always settle prior to any losses. It is just much less common for Direct to lose channels).

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)