DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

prime2099 said:
A fun experiment on this issue would be for all forum member to drop their dish packages to the lowest tier for a month. I think Dish might take notice of that. But we do have other choices out there besides Dish.

Except that would imply that we all side with AMC in this, which is not the case.

Yeah, LOTS of channels they could replace these with. Lost 4 channels and gained none. Fearnet, anime network, funimation, smithsonian... All would be good "replacements" for now. I will miss Hell On Wheels, The Walking Dead, and Mad Men, but they are easily downloaded and watchable at my convenience.

Why would anyone think they are going to run out and add new channels right away? They issue a press release with some standard marketing drivel, we all know the deal. There is at least a two week window that an AMC deal could still break out.

Hopefully this will open up transponder and money for some new content, but they aren't going to enter into a new commitment right now. They are probably going to step back and let this settle before even entering into any new serious negotiations. The only fair comparison will be to compare line ups a year from now - at that point is your overall package count and content up, down, or about the same?

Aren't those channels already in the packages that AMC is carried in (except for Welcome pack)?

If so, how are subscribers in the Top 200 or 250 package gaining anything? Seems like they still get HDNet and Style and just lose three channels?

Thanks!
Maybe this is Dish's way of telling us that we should be glad they didn't drop those channels too!

amc disappeared from the welcome pack some time ago..........I'll stay ain't changing...........:D

Why would anyone think they are going to run out and add new channels right away? They issue a press release with some standard marketing drivel, we all know the deal. There is at least a two week window that an AMC deal could still break out.

Hopefully this will open up transponder and money for some new content, but they aren't going to enter into a new commitment right now. They are probably going to step back and let this settle before even entering into any new serious negotiations. The only fair comparison will be to compare line ups a year from now - at that point is your overall package count and content up, down, or about the same?
Dish already made its mind up when they dropped those channels from the PDF Channel Line-Up cards. They've had at least six weeks to get at least one new replacement lined up. And I wouldn't be surprised if they decided that AMC Network channels were going to disappear long before their announcement.

I thought that they would move channels down to the AT200 tier, screwing over higher tier customers. I never would have imagined that they would have moved around channels that were already in the At200 tier and screw those subscribers too! Remember Dish voluntarily made the announcement that those channels were going to be replaced with "high quality" channels. Nobody twisted their arm on this.

A fun experiment on this issue would be for all forum member to drop their dish packages to the lowest tier for a month. I think Dish might take notice of that. But we do have other choices out there besides Dish.
This would have about as much impact as those who, out of protest to rising gasoline prices, "ban together" and refrain from buying gas for one day.

Why is HDNetMovies in SD? HD is in the damn name, will they change this or is it SD only since IFC was SD only?

Edit: Nevermind I see the HD feed now, guess I just needed to post about it for it to show up.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I totally agree with Dish and AT&T on this...I am tired of my bills going up. All it is is greed on everyones part. Not as annoying as OTA channels asking for money since they send it out for free, but everyone wants a bigger piece of the pie and someone is always left short...usually the consumer.

Bottom line is this:
All any of us want to do, regardless of what system/provider we use, is watch our "stories" It shouldn't be this difficult...for any of us...ever.
:)

Considering that Dish is removing a a channel that has some shows I watch and replacing it with channels that I already have. I'd rather have the credit for the fees Dish doesn't have to pay for the channel anymore or use the savings to bring some new channels in.

I don't have a problem with that type of negotiation, either. But there's the keyword: negotiation! Dish knew MONTHS ago they were not going to renew AMC's contract. So much for any negotiating. If Dish's way of hardball negotiating is to come to a network long before a contract expires and say "take it or leave it; this is our final offer", and then walk away... then I don't need it. Anyway, I think the bad blood between Dish and AMC from the Voom ordeal is the real culprit behind this. Who loses? We do. As always.

Don't be surprised if Dish decides to totally pull Disney and ESPN networks once their contracts come up for renewal as well. Dish isn't afraid to pull anything off their lineup, and will. But hey, if money is the nature of the business, then I will speak with my money too by dialing back on my packages, and examining my television watching in closer detail.

I would love it if DISH would drop both Disney and ESPN. Don't watch either channel and if it would drop my monthly bill by $5.00- $10.00 a month I would love it even more. But.... just like we won't see a drop in our monthly bills when we lose AMC, IFC, WE and Sundance, we wouldn't see a drop in price if the ESPN and Disney channels were dropped .

Looks like AMC is going to have to rethink its pricing, it does not look like Dish is going to give in to them. If AT&T follows, AMC will have a big market share loss. This will cause other providers not to be pressured into renewing. Perhaps this will be a good thing in the long run and the runaway price increases by programmers will slow down a bit.

Those were my thoughts too, expressed in an earlier post. I still think the video providers like DISH ,DIRECTV, ATT and other various cable companies should work together and stand strong against any, and ALL price hikes, demanded by ANY channel, like AMC and Cablevison. If they all agreed to drop the offending channel or channels , they could force a real price suppression and we would all see our bills stay the same or even go down. They could form a TV Mafia Consortium and offer the offending channels a " price they couldn't refuse" , so to speak.:cool:

Yeah, LOTS of channels they could replace these with. Lost 4 channels and gained none. Fearnet, anime network, funimation, smithsonian... All would be good "replacements" for now. I will miss Hell On Wheels, The Walking Dead, and Mad Men, but they are easily downloaded and watchable at my convenience.
smithsonian is still uplinked somewhere out there in dish land.lol and bring on some FEARnet! ;)

MikeD-C05 said:
Those were my thoughts too, expressed in an earlier post. I still think the video providers like DISH ,DIRECTV, ATT and other various cable companies should work together and stand strong against any, and ALL price hikes, demanded by ANY channel, like AMC and Cablevison. If they all agreed to drop the offending channel or channels , they could force a real price suppression and we would all see our bills stay the same or even go down. They could form a TV Mafia Consortium and offer the offending channels a " price they couldn't refuse" , so to speak.:cool:

That would be illegal.

gpollock87 said:
i was gonna say it anyway scott. lol. i already get all the "replacements" FEARnet is a wanted channel and would have been a great channel to replace one of the AMC networks. i see no replacement for sundance. make a deal with FEARnet and let it take sundance's place in BB@home. I know there are more people than me who want FEARnet. make your voices heard!!!

I want FEARnet!!! :) that's for you buddy. Seriously though, for those of us who gain nothing and lose yet another channel, we just got screwed again.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts