DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I think that the closed captioning only occurs on some shows after the DVDs start shipping, which would explain why Netflix has it and the others don't.

I don't have a problem with Dish playing hardball and trying to force AMC to reduce what it is asking for its channels. I do have a problem with Dish claiming they are "replacing" them with equivalent content. Moving channels rom higher packages is not replacing the pulled channels for those of us who already receive the "replacement" channels.

Sometimes, Dish makes it very hard to support their actions (even when their initial position is in the right IMHO). Sigh.

I think that the closed captioning only occurs on some shows after the DVDs start shipping, which would explain why Netflix has it and the others don't.
It's also due to technical reasons. Some streaming services don't offer captions. (HBO GO, for instance.) Even older versions of the Netflix app on some older devices can't display captions.

Last edited:

That could be it. I know that iTunes still does not offer closed caption on seasons of Breaking Bad that are already on DVD. It does have captioning for the entire series of The Walking Dead, and season two is not on DVD yet. The same can be said for Hell on Wheels.

All I know is that I hope no one says that these disputes don't hurt the customer. I'm living proof that it does.

I don't think anyone believes that these disputes don't hurt the customer, at least not in the short term. But something has to be done to keep the costs from rising beyond what many are willing to pay.

I currently pay about $89/month for my D* service which includes Sho/HBO, but in August that will rise to about $120, and that is a bit more than I want to pay. I'll have to make choices then, choices that I'm not going to be tickled with.

Not that it would do any good other than letting us vent,we should all email Dave Shull SVP of programming to let him know we aren't naive aka (dumb). The so called replacement channels are completely bogus.

dangue your signature says it all

**Dish: One step forward, a half dozen steps back... :rolleyes:

Those are better overall. But for some you are just losing three channels, I already get those replacement channels. Since I happened not watch the Rainbow channels, other than AMC once in awhile, I don't in reality lose anything unless you play the numbers game. I'm not saying I know what new channels, but Dish really should be adding a couple.
adding channels would be replacements. shuffling channels around that we already have doesn't cut it. it has taken away from those of us who have the top 250, AEP, and bb@home.

Not that it would do any good other than letting us vent,we should all email Dave Shull SVP of programming to let him know we aren't naive aka (dumb). The so called replacement channels are completely bogus.

dangue your signature says it all

**Dish: One step forward, a half dozen steps back... :rolleyes:
Thats the way it seems Charlie and Dish seem to move :D :)

I use to have it on uverse. Its way better then chiller. On uverse it was a on demand section....not a actual channel. But like u said....put it on demand in place of hdnet movies. Speaking of on demand..on the 722k....cinemax was on there for one day...lol...not been back since

Why is Style not provided in HD on channel 128? Why is Style also in free preview on channel 115? This seems so silly. I do not know if I am redoing the favorites lists for all this.

I don't have a problem with Dish playing hardball and trying to force AMC to reduce what it is asking for its channels. I do have a problem with Dish claiming they are "replacing" them with equivalent content. Moving channels rom higher packages is not replacing the pulled channels for those of us who already receive the "replacement" channels.

Sometimes, Dish makes it very hard to support their actions (even when their initial position is in the right IMHO). Sigh.

I don't have a problem with that type of negotiation, either. But there's the keyword: negotiation! Dish knew MONTHS ago they were not going to renew AMC's contract. So much for any negotiating. If Dish's way of hardball negotiating is to come to a network long before a contract expires and say "take it or leave it; this is our final offer", and then walk away... then I don't need it. Anyway, I think the bad blood between Dish and AMC from the Voom ordeal is the real culprit behind this. Who loses? We do. As always.

Don't be surprised if Dish decides to totally pull Disney and ESPN networks once their contracts come up for renewal as well. Dish isn't afraid to pull anything off their lineup, and will. But hey, if money is the nature of the business, then I will speak with my money too by dialing back on my packages, and examining my television watching in closer detail.

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 06/29/12 -- DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) will replace three AMC Networks channels -- IFC, WE and AMC -- tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. ET with what the company believes is stronger movie and entertainment content.

DISH will be providing HDNet Movies to replace AMC, and is offering Style and HDNet to replace WE and IFC.

"HDNet Movies and HDNet are exciting offerings for our customers," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of programming for DISH. "These are networks that will bring great entertainment, including first-run, commercial-free movies in high definition to our customers. DISH is the only pay-TV provider that did not raise its core package prices in 2012. We will continue to fight hard for choice, control, and value in home entertainment."

Hmm. "Stronger ...and .. exciting offerings" And what was the excuse they used when they dropped HDNet Movies and HDNet several years ago?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup I am losing 3 channels and still paying the same amount I am now... they should give us NEW channels such as FearNet. (Sorry had to say it before someone else did) :D

People without BB@Home are only getting one new channel. Style was in the 200 package prior, and before this fiasco, Dish was promoting HDNet's jump to the 120 package. They actually think they are making people happy by providing these channels. At least with the FOX dispute the two channels provided were not available without the old HD Platinum.