DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

PopcornNMore said:
HDNet, HDNet Movies and Style are much better channels in my opinion! Excellent move Dish!

Not sure how this is excellent...
HDNet is already in AT120 and Dish Latino Dos
Style is already in AT200
HDNet Movies is already in Blockbuster @ Home

You may already be paying for and getting these channels.
Where is Sundance's replacement at?

Yup I am losing 3 channels and still paying the same amount I am now... they should give us NEW channels such as FearNet. (Sorry had to say it before someone else did) :D
i was gonna say it anyway scott. lol. i already get all the "replacements" FEARnet is a wanted channel and would have been a great channel to replace one of the AMC networks. i see no replacement for sundance. make a deal with FEARnet and let it take sundance's place in BB@home. I know there are more people than me who want FEARnet. make your voices heard!!!

Just got this...

DISH to Replace AMC With Commercial-Free HD Movies

New Programming Also Slated to Replace IFC, WE

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 06/29/12 -- DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) will replace three AMC Networks channels -- IFC, WE and AMC -- tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. ET with what the company believes is stronger movie and entertainment content.

DISH will be providing HDNet Movies to replace AMC, and is offering Style and HDNet to replace WE and IFC.

"HDNet Movies and HDNet are exciting offerings for our customers," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of programming for DISH. "These are networks that will bring great entertainment, including first-run, commercial-free movies in high definition to our customers. DISH is the only pay-TV provider that did not raise its core package prices in 2012. We will continue to fight hard for choice, control, and value in home entertainment."

DISH notified AMC Networks earlier in the year of its decision not to renew its contract due to the channels' high costs compared to their relatively low viewership.

DISH's actions come as AT&T and AMC Networks negotiate over what AT&T this week called an "excessive rate increase."

"A significant portion of any pay-TV bill goes to fees for content providers like AMC Networks," said Shull. "AMC Networks requires us to carry low-rated channels like IFC and WE to access a few popular AMC shows.
The math is simple: it's not a good value for our customers."

AMC Networks has further devalued its programming by making its handful of popular shows available to consumers via iTunes, Netflix and Amazon.com.

"One of AMC's biggest historical draws has been movies. However, their performance has been trumped by other DISH movie offerings, including the many thousands of titles available on Blockbuster @Home and from top-quality providers such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, EPIX, MGM HD, IndiePlex, and RetroPlex," Shull said.

Beginning Saturday, HDNet Movies will be available on Channel 130, Style will be on Channel 128, and HDNet (soon to become a new entertainment and music channel called "AXS.TV") will run on Channel 131.

ty for info Scott :)

Not sure how this is excellent...
HDNet is already in AT120 and Dish Latino Dos
Style is already in AT200
HDNet Movies is already in Blockbuster @ Home

You may already be paying for and getting these channels.
Where is Sundance's replacement at?
In retrospect, the channel replacements do seem a bit off, based on what packages they were already available on. I think the "replacement" channels are better, if they were 1 for 1, but they really aren't. I can't get myself worked up over it. The loss of AMC may help get BeIn Sports, via bandwidth, so I may get something better out of this in the end. AMC has a few great shows, and little else.

What'd be interesting is if instead of these blow ups, Dish offered the channels up for the price AMC wants on an a la carte basis... and see how many take it. Of course, if something is a la carte, that means fewer subscribers and a higher rate. But still, what are we talking a buck or two?

i was gonna say it anyway scott. lol. i already get all the "replacements" FEARnet is a wanted channel and would have been a great channel to replace one of the AMC networks. i see no replacement for sundance. make a deal with FEARnet and let it take sundance's place in BB@home. I know there are more people than me who want FEARnet. make your voices heard!!!
Do you have to spam every thread with your FEARnet fetish?

Well this might be the straw that broke the camel's back. Honestly I am not one to rant. I have been happy with Dish for years. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the Disney dispute. And how long Disney HD has been off. I switched from the HD only pack to get Disney back. Now they are "giving" me 3 channels I already have to replace 3 they are taking away. My cable company has offered me a deal I cant pass up. I can add Digital Cable for 15 more a month than I am paying for just internet. Think I will have to jump when my contract is up in July. Thanks Dish for not getting the Hopper OTA out sooner because I would have already signed another contract.

Well this might be the straw that broke the camel's back. Honestly I am not one to rant. I have been happy with Dish for years. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the Disney dispute. And how long Disney HD has been off. I switched from the HD only pack to get Disney back. Now they are "giving" me 3 channels I already have to replace 3 they are taking away. My cable company has offered me a deal I cant pass up. I can add Digital Cable for 15 more a month than I am paying for just internet. Think I will have to jump when my contract is up in July. Thanks Dish for not getting the Hopper OTA out sooner because I would have already signed another contract.

why wait, pay the etf for one month so they know

Pretty sorry replacements if you ask me.With AT250 we gain one channel and lose 3.Don't think Hdnet has any original programming either.:rolleyes:

Edit doesn't seem to be working..anyway I meant to say that Hdnet/movies doesn't have any original programming.

Come July first its time to start asking for credits or some kind of free channels,be it bb@home,multisport,or one of the premium channels.As it stands now those with AT200 or above gain nothing imho and lose 3 channels.

As it stands now those with AT200 or above gain nothing imho and lose 3 channels.
They gain HDNET Movies. And like I said earlier, one of the reasons I might drop BB@H, since my 200 will include it.

T I'm not saying I know what new channels, but Dish really should be adding a couple.
Yes they should. These replacements are no such thing.

It's like the waiter coming to your table, removing the steak from your plate, and saying it's OK because he is replacing it with the potatoes that are already on your plate.

I for one is not happy with the replacement. My wife watch quite a bit of WE & I watch some AMC/IFC. I already used to get Style & HDNet. So basically I get HDNet Movies only....& I am still down 2 channels. Hoping Dish adds BeIN channels in HD for all of us (including PR) to compensate this. Also though Encore packs in free preview is good for a month...but should have something more permanent ;)

I've been looking for some help on this matter but everyone I've asked does not seem to know so I'll ask here.

I'm a fan of Breaking Bad on AMC. I've come to terms that I'm losing AMC on Dish. I am ready to look for alternative means of viewing the show. It is available on most all the digital video stores, iTunes, Amazon Video, Playstation Store, Zune, etc. However none of them offer closed captioning. I am hearing impaired. Captioning is a must.

While Netflix offers Breaking Bad and captioning, they're only on season 3. Season 5 begins in a couple of weeks. Hulu does not carry Breaking Bad.

I've emailed companies, like AMC, iTunes, and others about seeing what can be done to address but they either don't reply or send a canned response. Does anyone know what I can do? I need help badly. Thank you.

I don't know if Dish think we are stupid or what (or that we don't use Satelliteguys) but this was planned and announced since January.
Back then it was announced that HDNet will be AXS and that will be in the lower packages, and now they think they can announce it as a replacement for another channel :rolleyes:. And that have happened before, they think that because most Dish users didn't know too much info on that matter, they can lie and offer solutions so all people seemed happy.
That happened last year when they rise the prices and at the same time Starz free for everyone, labeled as an aniversary promotion, but when I called to say that the reason I choose Dish over DTV was the price and now was the same price on basically the same package, and that I have a contract and all that they told me they can keep my price for a year but remove Starz... WTH, Starz was another different thing, but really it was just being used to keep people happy about the price increase, and now they make this "offer".
:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)