DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I may go over to seriously check out Hulu and see if they have any of the shows I watch regularly. And if they don't, there are a lot of shows I haven't been able to watch over the years that I'll now have time to catch up on. You know what? It's time for me to take control of my viewing. Thanks, Dish, for opening up my eyes! You'll be getting a lot less money from me as a result.
We might as well be like Dish and try to control our costs too. I do find it funny that Dish was complaining that AMC Networks had reduced value because their programming was so easily found elsewhere. Well, by not replacing lost channels, Dish's value has been reduced too!

So, if adding these channels to replace AMC and the others is like the promise over 2 years ago to replace The Weather Channel with a BETTER weather-type channel, then this improvement will last a week or less. :D

Mochuf said:
If it wasn't for losing my local RSNs, I would probably reduce my subscription from AT200 + BB@Home to Dish America + BB@Home. The shows that we like on BBCA, Animal Planet, Science, etc. are all available on Netflix (a year later though). That $25 per month savings can purchase/rent a lot of streamed shows or discs. Maybe I'll go to Dish America Silver or AT120+ and save $10 instead. For me it isn't the fact that I'm losing a channel I like. It's the fact that Dish couldn't care less about replacing what was lost.

If you are only subbing to AT200 ($59.99/month) for RSNs, try Dish Latino Dos ($44.99/month;eligible for HD Free for Life). The channels in Dish Latino (which includes English programming) differs from the America's Top packages. This would save you $15/month.

FMI: http://www.dish.com/entertainment/packages/dish-latino-dos/

Almost everyone should have had HDNet as it was an AT120 and Dish Latino Dos channel for those that have HD.

Since Dish is just adding another AT200 channel (Style) in the place of We, why not add Hallmark? At least both play Fraiser and The Golden Girls.

If you do not already have Blockbuster @ Home, then HDNet Movies for AMC is actually nice as the movies are uncut and commercial free. They also play those Sneak Previews of new films before hitting theaters.

If you are only subbing to AT200 ($59.99/month) for RSNs, try Dish Latino Dos ($44.99/month;eligible for HD Free for Life). The channels in Dish Latino (which includes English programming) differs from the America's Top packages. This would save you $15/month.
Thanks for the suggestion. There were other reasons (BBCA, Hallmark, AMC) why we went with AT200. But I'm also a Netflix subscriber and they've added a lot of tv shows in the last few years. With Hallmark Movie Channel and Pixl (my wife wouldn't let me drop Dish because of Pixl) in the BB@Home package and tv series from the other channels being added to Netflix, I could move down my programming. I'll look over Latino Dos. Trouble is my younger son would be the only one who could enjoy the entire package as he's the only one who understands Spanish! :)

Wait a minute. AMC was available in AT200 and up tiers. Style and HDNET (AXS) are already available to those customers. How is this a fair trade-off? I don't understand that at all. And gaining HDNET Movies is exactly what I thought would happen, move down programming from either AT250 and/or BB@Home and not bring in anything new. Since I'm a AT200 + BB@Home subscriber, I don't get anything to replace what I'm losing. And AT200, AT250 and AEP customers who don't have BB@Home only get HDNET Movies. Pass the K-Y around next time Charlie.

I have AT250 so I'm not sure but I think you are correct. You need AT200 or higher to get AMC and I'm pretty sure Style and HDNet were already included in AT200. Moving a channel that we already had to the channel number you took away is not replacing the channel. They say they are replacing the 3 channels they took away but only giving us one channel (0 if you are a BB@ home customer). Also, where is the replacement for Sundance. Even if they somehow think they are giving us "replacements" they are only mentioning 3 when they are actually taking 4 channels away. AMC, IFC, We, Sundance.

Mochuf said:
Thanks for the suggestion. There were other reasons (BBCA, Hallmark, AMC) why we went with AT200. But I'm also a Netflix subscriber and they've added a lot of tv shows in the last few years. With Hallmark Movie Channel and Pixl in the BB@Home package and tv series from the other channels being added to Netflix, I could move down my programming. I'll look over Latino Dos. Trouble is my younger son would be the only one who could enjoy the entire package as he's the only one who understands Spanish! :)

BBC America and Hallmark are in Dish Latino Max ($57.99/month). AMC and We were in Dish Latino Plus and above. IFC was in Dos. So, with Dos, you should still get those replacement channels. I think you mentioned Animal Planet earlier; it is also in Dos.

If you only want Pixl and Hallmark Movie Channel, then another option is the Heartland Package for $5 as both channels are in it along with Hallmark Channel, gmc, RFD, Baby TV, and Rural TV. That would save you another $5/month if you can do without the other Blockbuster @ Home channels and one disc at a time.

The only thing to be careful about with youngsters with the Dish Latino packs is Playboy en Espanol as it is included in the pack at no extra charge. I am not sure if you have to ask about it to get it, but it is listed as $0.00 since it is included in the packs. However, that is what adult guard and channel blocks are for.

Last edited:
Does Amazon or Itunes offer them soon after they have aired? Or is it much later?? Like mos or weeks later...

For most series the episodes become available overnight. So, for the ones I subscribe to, I notice the email comes between 5-8am the next morning saying I bought the episode. I have noticed that on some series Itunes will get it first and Amazon a day or 2 later. But, I have never seen it take more than 5 days.

On my phone and don't have time to read all the threads. Aren't these replacements already available on Dish?

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

I see. So they are just making these channels available in all packages that were getting AMC?

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

Yep and AMC was included in AT200 and up which already carries HDNet and Style. The only gain is HDNet Movies.

Replace channels with ones I already have WOW

Truly, this is how effective change will work. Speaking with your wallet. Dish speaks with their wallet against AMC et.al. by dropping them, Dish customers speak with their wallets against Dish by paying less or switching. One can only hope that other programming conglomerates take notice.

So Dish is kind enough to take away 3 channels and replace them with three new channels NOPE ! I already have those three channels so I am losing three channels including one with the best rated shows on TV ! Maybe they could take away some more channels and replace them with QVC and the knife channel !

I had been contemplating dropping Platinum (BB@H) since Epix is really getting old, but we do watch HDNET Movies quite bit. Now, I just might.

Aep pack here as well. So this does nothing for us...we just lose the walking dead : (. Im thinking I want $5.00 a month off my bill,seeing how Ill now be paying amazon to watch walking dead. What feed is walking dead on in canada?? Amc is not up there...right?

Those are better overall. But for some you are just losing three channels, I already get those replacement channels. Since I happened not watch the Rainbow channels, other than AMC once in awhile, I don't in reality lose anything unless you play the numbers game. I'm not saying I know what new channels, but Dish really should be adding a couple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)