DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

That's what I was pointing out earlier. (Or perhaps in the other AMC thread.) With all of the money they are spending on freebies, credits, giveaways, etc, it seems to me that they may not be saving much money compared to paying a reasonable increase to AMC.

OTOH, if one adds these giveaways to the fact that Dish appears to have made up their mind a while back to drop AMC, regardless, and, that they will be paying AMC's parent a HUGE court settlement, it appears that Charlie just wants to wash his hands of all things Rainbow/Cablevision.

"Here's your big pile of cash from the court settlement that I whittled down in endless appeals, Mr. Dolan. Now, leave me the f*** alone."

A credit is spending. However, since not everyone is getting the same deal, it looks as though they have figured out how to make subs happy and not have to spend a whole lot, or at least more than what the AMC contract cost them per sub/month. They probably even come out ahead if you factor in the total cost for all of the AMC family of channels v. the cost of the credits, freebies and giveaways.

As far as the lawsuit goes. The trial date is set for September. Charlie has already taken a huge hit by the SCONY appellate division, its been four years and this thing is on its last leg. Obviously I have no crystal ball, but it would seem to make a lot of sense for DISH to settle this out of court. If you were a juror, and the trial judge told you to assume that the emails DISH destroyed benefited AMC, and they will be told just that, would you side with DISH? The way I see it, DISH made its bed.

It's the Roku XD as stated already.

I missed that post, thanks.

I didn't ask the CSR when I called [that whole gift horse thing].

Well I for one am glad Dish doesn't have your attitude. An increase in price for amc is not worth it at any price.

AMC is going to get that increase. It may not be a carriage fee increase but they are going to get paid big, and you can expect to refund Charlie for it too.

I just called Dish and asked about the free Roku offer, they turned me down, but did give me free HD for life ( no autopay or 99.00 fee either) and 5.00 a month off of the Blockbuster package for 6 months!

Isn't HD supposed to be free? We don't pay for it.

By weaseling out of offering anything unless they're really pushed?

Its not as if they aren't going to pay in the end. I'll smile, take the credits and the RoKu, and when DISH gets hit with a billion dollar settlement, I'll laugh, and laugh.
:D

If anybody isn't going to use their Roku I'll take it off your hands. :) Pm me.

(First post. Been a dish sub for 2 years and read the board often. Just thought I'd ask)

Last edited:
3 yr customer here out of contract.....Sunday nights is the only time the wife watches AMC, so she was disappointed to see it removed. I received the $10 per month off for a year + $5 off for 6 mos for the BB/HD movie pass package with no contract extension.....didnt need the Roku so didnt push for it. Painless conversation less than 10 min with the first rep that answered. Sat guys rocks :D

So is the number better, or would a chat be good enough? Is this a by complaint thing, or is it account based (aka I didn't get the email :( )?
Oy, when I attempted chat, the CSR kept quoting season premier dates and times, totally ignoring my question. Then she kept insisting AMC was still up and it was on channel 130. I called the 888 number at that point and gave up on her.

That said, someone earlier got his Roku promise via chat.

Giving out a free roku & then reimbursing the cost of programming related to amc is very fair. This thread should be renamed to reflect this.................

gpollock87 said:
I think dish is treating us all more than fair by giving us the free roku and credits for 12 months

I agree. Really impressed,i did not expect that at all. I just hope all goes as planned. So far there is no indication in my account of anything. The guy told me he was over nighting the roku and another hdmi cable and that I would get a confirmation email. So far nothing, will wait till tomorrow to get concerned though.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

No because not everyone will get the same offers. Not everyone will get a Roku or monthly credits.

I'm on the welcome pack & got a free roku, did not get any monthly credits, given my package that's understandable. I did sign up for half price showtime for 6 months.
I think dish needs to be given credit for stepping up & you're the man to do it with a front page post.......:) roku.PNG

Spoken like a true city person. :D

I was talking about our customers out here in the sticks and how it's gonna be a bitch selling Dish Network now that these channels are added to the list of ones we don't have. No Yankees, no Mets, no MSG, no Disney HD channels and now this. It sure makes DirecTV look a lot more attractive to perspective customers who call us looking for TV. They don't care about these grade school pissing matches, they just wanna watch TV.

Spoken like a true city person. :D

I live 50 miles outside a population base of just under a 750k people in a state of 1.5 million. I ain't no city person. :)

That said, I'm grateful for having just a 3M dwn and 750k up dsl available. That's my only option other than satellite. A Roku should just work well enough for me.

The original concern is valid, what about those without high speed and not willing to move? Change providers is about all that's left, or peddle the Roku and accept the change in entertainment environment.

I just called in to vent about the loss of AMC. I immediately asked to be transferred to loyalty. Supervisor offered me 3 months of Encore. Then 3 months half price. So's I sez: basically I pay more for less? Then I find out they've been charging me for 9 months for Blockbuster. I demanded those charges be reversed, and he said he did. I canceled a rarely used 3rd receiver in protest, and I think I was given a 10 for 12 discount, but I'll read the fine print before I use it. My gut feeling is Dish is being overwhelmed with complaints and are starting to resist giving away adjustments. My package is "200", and I've been with them since their first year. The CSR was courteous, but it was demeaning to be asked to justify why I'm unhappy by answering "what specifically" I watched on AMC. For a company that just got caught destroying evidence they haven't learned much about public relations.

I'm surprised nobody's gotten the "your contract says we can drop whatever we want whenever we want so sucks to be you" line yet.

Gonna be even funnier next February when they raise everyone's bills and claim they added those channels that many people were already paying for.

I was able to get the roku and $5/mo for 6 mo. I already have a $10/mo discount with a few months left so they said they couldn't do another one. I guess I'll try again in august when Hell on Wheels comes back if they haven't brought AMC back at that point.

I'm talking to cust. serv now. So far all I've been offered is 1 free month of Cinemax. :rolleyes: I already subscribe to the "everything" package so I told him that won't do me much good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)