Dish Faces April 30 Deadline In TiVo Case

Wait until Congress finds out the deadline is nearing. You may remember a recent transition that involved considerably fewer viewers.
Here is 2010 and I cannot believe that 93% of cable cusomters, (and probably almost 100% of satellite customers) still get their set-top-boxes from the cable companies. This is akin to renting a telphone from Ma Bell. This crappola was supposed to end after the 1996 Telecommunications Act was passed. However, the problem is that Cable has been permitted to implement CE solutions based on proprietary cablelab standards (and not open standards) and Satellite has been given a free pass. Plus, Cable has held two-way services and programming data hostage. Hopefully, the National Broadband Plan will require Cable/Satellite/Telco's to install a gateway device, based on open standards, for each and every customer requesting them. Otherwise, you'll continue to see Cable/DBS overcharge for their set-top-box services---.many of which are inferior---and continue to limit innovation.

Now back to your regularly schedule topic...

I don't know

I am a Directv subscriber, I have family and friends who subscribe to Dish. Some of them switched to Dish a few months ago. They signed the contract with the early termintion fee and did not know about the Dish, Tivo lawsuit. They have asked if Dish is forced to shut off its dvr's, can they cancel their Dish subscription without paying the early termination fee because Dish did not hold their part of the contract or will they be creited by Dish for not providing dvr service or will they still be billed for dvr service that they can't use. I don't know, any useful info will help alot.

I am a Directv subscriber, I have family and friends who subscribe to Dish. Some of them switched to Dish a few months ago. They signed the contract with the early termintion fee and did not know about the Dish, Tivo lawsuit. They have asked if Dish is forced to shut off its dvr's, can they cancel their Dish subscription without paying the early termination fee because Dish did not hold their part of the contract or will they be creited by Dish for not providing dvr service or will they still be billed for dvr service that they can't use. I don't know, any useful info will help alot.

It's only some older DVR models that are named in the order. None of the newer models are included. They shouldn't worry about it.

No they wouldn't be able to get out of their contract.
But let them know they should be more worried about getting hit in the head with a meteor than Dish shutting down their DVR's!

as Dish won't be shutting down anything, the lawsuit won't affect your family and friends in the short term.

Although they should be aware that they will ultimately end up paying for it with steep price increases over the next few years.

Not for sure

as Dish won't be shutting down anything, the lawsuit won't affect your family and friends in the short term.

Although they should be aware that they will ultimately end up paying for it with steep price increases over the next few years.

You can't say that for sure. Since E* has stockpiled some money for it in advance. They have already included an equipment fee and it may not change anything like you are trying to scary with this statement.

Maybe as much as Direct TV!:)

Although they should also be aware that they statement you made might be full of crap since you have no way to back it up with proof!

You can't say that for sure. Since E* has stockpiled some money for it in advance. They have already included an equipment fee and it may not change anything like you are trying to scary with this statement.
You're absolutely right I can't say for sure.

BUT... IMO, In the end the customers always pay for it with price increases. I haven't seen Dish do anything in the last few years to reduce my bill or add value to what i'm getting. In fact my price went up $10 per month under the guise of rearranging their equipment fees.

I'm definitely NOT trying to scare anyone. Just being realistic and preparing my wallet to take the hit yet again. I'll leave the scare tactics to the clowns who think Dish might actually shut down DVRs.

Maybe, just maybe, Charlie and Co are working on a networked DVR solution. They turn off the DVR function on the infringing receigvers, and disable all of them, then they replace them with non-DVR's that come equipped with an ethernet port like the 211. Then every customer has access to a large networked DVR, even those that never had a DVR. There would be no increase due to the recent receiver fee changes and all customers win. DISH wins in the end. They keep existing customers for a longer period and maybe even steal more from cable and D*. Charlie tells Tivo where to step off and Tivo eventually dies. It could happen...

Last edited:
Here is 2010 and I cannot believe that 93% of cable cusomters, (and probably almost 100% of satellite customers) still get their set-top-boxes from the cable companies. This is akin to renting a telphone from Ma Bell. This crappola was supposed to end after the 1996 Telecommunications Act was passed. However, the problem is that Cable has been permitted to implement CE solutions based on proprietary cablelab standards (and not open standards) and Satellite has been given a free pass. Plus, Cable has held two-way services and programming data hostage. Hopefully, the National Broadband Plan will require Cable/Satellite/Telco's to install a gateway device, based on open standards, for each and every customer requesting them. Otherwise, you'll continue to see Cable/DBS overcharge for their set-top-box services---.many of which are inferior---and continue to limit innovation.

Now back to your regularly schedule topic...

As much as I emotionally agree with you, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be akin to requiring all brands of autos to have the same engine. We probably wouldn't have had the technological advances we've had if such rules were in place. But when the technology is mature, with few advances, maybe.....:up

Maybe, just maybe, Charlie and Co are working on a networked DVR solution. They turn off the DVR function on the infringing receigvers, and disable all of them, then they replace them with non-DVR's that come equipped with an ethernet port like the 211. Then every customer has access to a large networked DVR, even those that never had a DVR. There would be no increase due to the recent receiver fee changes and all customers win.

All customers? What about the significant percentage that don't have their receivers networked? How do they win?

They get a potential they previously did not have. But I doubt we'll see it. Doesn't hurt to hope, though.

All customers? What about the significant percentage that don't have their receivers networked? How do they win?

They get replaced with an equivilant ViP receiver. It would be cheaper than buying/paying fees to Tivo. Echostar (the equipment side) may take a loss, but in the end will profit. Just something to think about...

As someone considering getting Dish service? Should I be concerned?

Dish's public statement is "At this time, our DVR customers are not impacted", not too helpful but can't really expect anything forward looking.

I've got to assume there will be a licence/purchase solution to avoid the court disablement order but since I've no experience of Dish 24 month contracts:

- if there is a price increase to cover licencing etc are you exempt during the contract period? Or is it worded as a one way only obligation?
- if the unimaginable happens and there is a material change to the level of DVD service, is there an escape clause avoiding the cancellation fee? I assume *NO*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts