E3 Master Thread

Sega is not involved with the development/publishing of Shenmue 3, and apparently getting the rights to Shenmue from Sega was surprisingly easy. I suppose they figured it was easier to just sell the rights to the creator in exchange for some backend as opposed to funding a new game or letting it sit dormant and not generating any money.

http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to-shenmue-was-easier-than-you-d-thi-1712037863

The New Hitman game will have DLC, but it will ALL be free. What a concept..

http://www.pcgamesn.com/hitman-will-not-have-a-season-pass-all-dlc-will-be-free

Any Hitman game is definitely on my radar, and I'm definitely excited about this. Being Square Enix, I got to believe they'll still try to sell something, even if it's guns, suits, perks/enhanced abilities, or skins. I can't think of any other reason to release new missions to keep people connected to the game over a period of months for free ... and let's face, they won't be releasing content for free out of the kindness of their hearts. My other fear is the launch game what be quite as "complete" as they claim.

If you think that Sony will now feel motivated to abandon their PS Now service and just deliver BC like people want to counter Microsoft...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/88...t-considering-backwards-compatibility-for-ps4

I don't know much about emulation but during one of the Giant Bomb podcasts they mentioned that there still aren't PS3 emulators that work well on powerful gaming PCs because the Cell Processor Sony used is so weird. If that's the case it might not be possible to use software emulation on the PS4's current hardware.

I think the way they handled backwards compatibility on the PS3 was by actually putting PS2 hardware inside the box. They might have to do something like that to get PS3 games running on the PS4 but obviously all current owners would be SOL.

I think the way they handled backwards compatibility on the PS3 was by actually putting PS2 hardware inside the box. They might have to do something like that to get PS3 games running on the PS4 but obviously all current owners would be SOL.
They had 2 methods. The 60 GB original PS3s had hardware emulation, so they did it VERY well. The 80 GB limited release versions that they would only use in bundles had software emulation, which was good, but not perfect. Also the PS2 and PS3 had PS1 emulation, but the PS2 had hardware emulation (I THINK, but can't confirm) and I'm assuming the PS3 had software, which would have to be easy given the very low tech specs of the PS1.

They had 2 methods. The 60 GB original PS3s had hardware emulation, so they did it VERY well. The 80 GB limited release versions that they would only use in bundles had software emulation, which was good, but not perfect.
Kinda Sorta.

The 60 (and 20) pretty much had a full blown PS2 in them and thus were full HW emulation
The 80 removed part of the PS2 system (it removed the CPU, but kept the GPU), and thus game functions were done by software emulation, the graphics were still handled by PS2 software.

For the slim (and the last of the fattys) they removed the remainder of the PS2 innards.

For PS1, it was SW all the way, and could easily be done on the PS4 as is, but they probably figure no one cares about backward compatibilty for games that are 2 generations old.

For PS1, it was SW all the way, and could easily be done on the PS4 as is, but they probably figure no one cares about backward compatibilty for games that are 2 generations old.
Or maybe it was the fact that PS1 was CD-Rom based and the PS4 can't read CDs. Sadly neither are good answers.

Amazon released their list of top 10 E3 Preorders. #1 is rather surprising, especially considering it's only on one console.

1, Rare Replay, Microsoft
2. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Microsoft
3. Doom, Bethesda
4. Dishonored 2, Bethesda
5. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Square Enix
6. Gears of War 4, Microsoft
7. South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Ubisoft
8. Horizon Zero Dawn, Sony
9. Dishonored Definitive Edition, Bethesda
10. Xbox One Elite Wireless Controller, Microsoft

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/rare-replay-is-amazon-s-most-pre-ordered-game-announced-at-e3/0151588

Amazon released their list of top 10 E3 Preorders. #1 is rather surprising, especially considering it's only on one console.

1, Rare Replay, Microsoft
2. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Microsoft
3. Doom, Bethesda
4. Dishonored 2, Bethesda
5. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Square Enix
6. Gears of War 4, Microsoft
7. South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Ubisoft
8. Horizon Zero Dawn, Sony
9. Dishonored Definitive Edition, Bethesda
10. Xbox One Elite Wireless Controller, Microsoft

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/rare-replay-is-amazon-s-most-pre-ordered-game-announced-at-e3/0151588

That is a surprising list. I have a hard time believing that Fallout 4 isn't in the top 10. I would have thought none of those games were in the same hype level as Fallout. I really liked Dishonored but that game is a small release compared to Fallout.

One interesting thing is that the two games on the top of the list are the two cheapest ones. Rare Replay is $30 and Gears Ultimate is $40.

I don't know what is more surprising: The lack of Fallout 4, or the inclusion of South Park. Clearly people didn't get the not-so-subtle hint that was dropped by Butters in the announcement trailer

Or regard Cartman's own wisdom on the matter:

Also, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't get the "joke" of "The Fractured But Whole" until about 5 minutes ago

I'm guessing to qualify for that Amazon top 10 preorder list, the game had to actually be revealed at E3 - not in the weeks before. Just looking at the PS4 side of game rankings on Amazon, both editions of FO4 are #1 and #3. And on page 2, we find the Ratchet & Clank game and Uncharted 4 (announced previously), but no other games other than FFVII from that top 10 list for several pages, though on page 3 I see Horizon and The Last Guardian, which I believe were first unveiled at E3. At the same time, I don't see Doom or Dishonored on either the PS4 or XO lists (at least the first five pages). Something's really off about Amazon's announced preorder list and the current game lists, which generally highlight the best selling titles at any given time.

EDIT: drilling down further Doom and Dishonored are on page 6 of the PS4 game list and page 7 for XO.

EDIT2: So I've only just now realized Dishonored Definitive Edition is a remaster. Totally missed that announcement. I know it was on some GOTY lists, and I bought the GOTY version on PS3 on release day, but seriously? Dishonored 1 is getting a remaster?

I'm guessing to qualify for that Amazon top 10 preorder list, the game had to actually be revealed at E3 - not in the weeks before. Just looking at the PS4 side of game rankings on Amazon, both editions of FO4 are #1 and #3. And on page 2, we find the Ratchet & Clank game and Uncharted 4 (announced previously), but no other games other than FFVII from that top 10 list for several pages, though on page 3 I see Horizon and The Last Guardian, which I believe were first unveiled at E3. At the same time, I don't see Doom or Dishonored on either the PS4 or XO lists (at least the first five pages). Something's really off about Amazon's announced preorder list and the current game lists, which generally highlight the best selling titles at any given time.

EDIT: drilling down further Doom and Dishonored are on page 6 of the PS4 game list and page 7 for XO.

I agree that the list is off. I was originally thinking the same as you but Fallout 4 was revealed at the same press conference as Doom and Dishonored. Doom was actually announced quite a while ago when they were still calling it Doom 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts