Free sat v7 questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dfwratt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
Taxes
I played with FTA about 10 yrs ago. Decided to play again. I bought a free sat v7 , universal LNB, 33" dish. Compass set to 179° ( 97w ish) for now. Now the questions,
I lock to tp's for 95w,99w,97w,93w on single LNB.... Wth? And all are $$..except 4 channels. These 4 clear have no picture nor sound. But lock at 98% ... 843 channels all over 94% , , i also have/used a signal finder that tone locks. Any with ideas??? Is my v7 faulty???

Likely the STB is working, but a parameter is set wrong. The dish may be aimed at a Dish Network satellite. Have you done a Blind Scan of all Free and Scrambled channels and do these channels have any names displayed?

Do you have a North American Satellite list loaded in the STB? Much easier to load a pre-built satellite/transponder list than erase the international satellites and manually enter each satellite!

Once the North American Satellite list is loaded, select 97w from the satellite list.

Select LNB type: Universal - LO 9750/10600

Select transponder - 12152 Horizontal 20000 from the list.

Input your install address on www.dishpointer.com and select the 97w satellite. This will give you the compass reading, elevation angle and the LNBF skew (rotation angle). What city and state is the install location?

Set the LNBF skew (rotation in the circular mount) to the correct angle.

Set the dish mount elevation scale to the approximate angle.

Stand a few feet behind the dish and use your compass to identify a landmark in the far distance that aligns with the calculated compass reading for 97w satellite. Point the reflector in that general direction.

With a small TV sitting beside the dish, make SLOW sleeping motion approx 10-15 degrees on either side of the landmark while watching the Signal Quality meter reading. If the meter reading does not indicate the satellite signal, increase or decrease the elevation in one degree increments and repeat the SLOW pan EAST/West of the landmark while watching the Signal Quality meter reading. Once the Signal Quality meter reading shows a reading, optimize the level by bumping East/West/Up/ Down. Also slightly rotate the LNBF CW/CCW and slide towards/away from the reflector.

Once the Signal Quality reading is optimized, perform a Blind Scan. Compare the names of the found services to satellites on Sathint.com satellite list to verify that the dish is on the correct satellite.

The 33" dish will be undersized for some satellites, but you should be able to receive most KU FTA services.

He might not know that is what it is. You go on Amazon or Ebay and look for a cheap receiver and you might not realize the primary market for the box.

Those boxes are no longer good for hacking so not that big a deal. Also, now that you can't use them for hacking, places like eBay and Amazon are flooded with them a cheap prices.
I don't like that they get so darn hot during use.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Welcome to SatelliteGuys Dfwratt! Let us know your project is progressing.

Lone Gunman, I understand that we don't recommend any equipment that is enabled for hacking or discuss how to hack, but if someone is asking for help to install a KU system, we help them get started and enjoying true FTA. I tend to welcome folks to the hobby and educate them as to what true free to air is, rather than chastising and chasing them away. Common sense tells me that this install is being used to try to receive FTA on KU and not tying to steal programming. Yes, there is a reason we don't promote hacking, but we need to also be welcoming to new folks in our hobby. :)

If my reply was improper, out of line and not allowed, will a moderator please remove my posts....

I tried out one of those Freesat V8 Super boxes. I was very disappointed with it. GUI was clunky, no way to manually input audio and video PIDS. DLNA did not work as advertised. Folks, it's worth trusting KE4EST and Titanium on the choice of a STB. You can't go wrong with the Amiko receivers they suggest. I have the HD.265 and an RE and they are GREAT boxes that do just about anything you could want.

No Brian you are fine.
Also I have been informed that the V7 is still be used for hacking.
So here is the deal. If someone comes on here and says hey I just bought a V7 and followed all instructions but still can get channels X, Y, or Z. Then we will know they are blatantly hacking.

However, if they do like above we know they are not hacking. They didn't know better, we will welcome them, but inform them that hey you may get your feet wet with that box, but it is sold for hacking...no real FTA support...this or that problem, etc. This is a fine line guys and it does put me in a rock and a hard place scenario. Same with several FTA receivers, if the right person designs and loads hackware, a good box turns into a hack box...

Let's just play it by ear and the ones of us that has been around this for awhile, we know how to weed out the hacks. The other guys, let's educate them! :)

Thanks to every one, No i am not hacking nor looking for more than FTA. I did delete pre install settings. I manually inputed sat id's . How do I install preset n/a list. As is it locks to 97w but only show 5-8 transponders.and 2 show as non $ .dish is at 179°, 51-52 elevation, skew may be issue, but it blind scans and pulls in 700 ch. And only 12ish are non$. I have a brand new avenger pll lnb .I used my sat finder to tone lock as well. I used a ar map app but it thinks 179° is about 30-40° to right of compass set 179° .. i had same setup 10 yrs ago but on coolsat and 97 was not a problem. Can it hit more than one sat at 197° , my v7 has input place for pids but know nothing about that. The lnb setting for all manually input SATs is set to universal 9750-10600, 22k on auto signal lock in mid 90? but quality is up/down around 50? ,slights movement of dish sends it to zero. The free/clear on 97 that lock, have no pic,audio but have good signal. Lost.... Again did not buy v7 for hack option, just to re wet my feet in FTA.

Oddly it picks up tp's for 93,95,99 at this angle as well. As for names of channels, no names just ch numbers and tp's , how can I add pics to post?

Seems to only find 2 tp.s 12632 v 19999 and 12500 h 19999 one v one h , these are dish 110 i think.

Attachments

• 15231252242901442825409.jpg
    15231252242901442825409.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 389
G19, 97w , universal 9750-10600, 22k auto, intensity 93%,quality 45% , blind scan brings 12632 h 19999 12632 v 19999 12500 v 19999 12500 h 19999. Thinking those are 110w.

Attachments

• 15231257774571078241877.jpg
    15231257774571078241877.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 378
You aren't pointed at 97W, there aren't 700 channels there even if you get all 20-some transponders.

The receiver doesn't care what satellite you have selected if you do a blind scan, it'll add whatever it finds to its list for that satellite. Selecting a different satellite isn't going to make any difference unless you have a motorized dish or multiple dishes/LNBs on a switch.

Looks like you are aimed at 110W, a DISH Network bird.

I think he is aimed at 91°W . Most everything at 110°W is Turbo 8PSK. I don't think he would scan hundreds of $ channels from 110w because of that.

The channel numbers in the screenshot posted by Dfwratt match the content of 110W Tp 20 spot 21 - Local channels from Texas and other southern states. If you look on Lyngsat the PIDs match those channel numbers .

Now i'm curious about those channels that scanned in as FTA - I've never seen any at 110W.

They were barker channels a couple of years ago....but I have not checked in awhile.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Dfwratt! Let us know your project is progressing.

Lone Gunman, I understand that we don't recommend any equipment that is enabled for hacking or discuss how to hack, but if someone is asking for help to install a KU system, we help them get started and enjoying true FTA. I tend to welcome folks to the hobby and educate them as to what true free to air is, rather than chastising and chasing them away. Common sense tells me that this install is being used to try to receive FTA on KU and not tying to steal programming. Yes, there is a reason we don't promote hacking, but we need to also be welcoming to new folks in our hobby. :)

If my reply was improper, out of line and not allowed, will a moderator please remove my posts....

Hey Brian,:sorry I wasn't trying to rag your ass about it or anything, but, I was somewhat shocked because we were told that these Freesat boxes were off limits here a year or two ago due to their hacking capabilities. So I guess it's OK to talk about them now then as long as we stay away from the hack part? Got it! :wink

Wow sorry for the v7 trouble. but not into the hacking thing. I have several apps that provide more channels than i can watch. Again just decided to play with fta, i had no knowledge of this box till i recieved it. My post is strictly about fta channels. Now i think im on 105, i have macys and i think 7 wild feeds, displayed names are svr 1-6 then 4 macys. And a bvn ch. Dont remember 97 being this difficult to find.

I did research this box, and i understand the hacking comments, oh to easy for me. , and illegal... BUT THATS NOT WHAT IM DOING, besides i cannot get internet where i live. Only on my phone . And att wont allow me to hotspot on unlimited plan.

Wow sorry for the v7 trouble. but not into the hacking thing. I have several apps that provide more channels than i can watch. Again just decided to play with fta, i had no knowledge of this box till i recieved it. My post is strictly about fta channels. Now i think im on 105, i have macys and i think 7 wild feeds, displayed names are svr 1-6 then 4 macys. And a bvn ch. Dont remember 97 being this difficult to find.

Macy's is indeed on 105W. But i'm not aware of BVN being there. as far as I know BVN is on 113W on 2 transponders, and also on 97W as part of a multi-channel transponder. Move slightly east from Macy's and you should get 103W with NHK World and RT and CGTN.

97 can be trickier than expected because it's sandwiched between 2 stronger birds, so it's quite easy to miss
See if you can get 95W, that's the one with a bunch of Chinese channels, and hop from there. Or 99W, that has a strong transponder with JBS in HD and some radio channels with a video slide that's in Cyrillic (Russian) characters.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Status
Please reply by conversation.