Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this from DirecTV, so I am passing it along to spread the word.

Customers that are NOT on a Do Not Call List have begun receiving automated calls that they are eligible for a free HD swap with a commitment.
This effects only customers with MPEG2 HD hardware that have not already been swapped.

NHL fans all got their calls over the last few days (except for those that are on a Do Not Call list). We're about half way done with NFL customers and then NBA folks will get their calls next.

Customers can call the number on the recording to receive their free HD Swap.

For NFL fans with SuperFan, all HD games will be in MPEG4 this year so it's absolutely CRITICAL they swap out before the season starts.

For NBA and NHL, almost all HD games are in MPEG4 right now so they have the opportunity to enjoy the balance of the schedule with many more HD games by swapping out now.

Appointments fill up fast so we're encouraging folks to sign up sooner rather than later to get these installations done.

Hopefully this will go fast. The faster everybody is off MPEG-2, the faster D* can put the legacy MPEG-2 HD on D10 or D11 in MPEG-4 and improve the PQ of those channels.

This is a key part of freeing bandwith on the 101 satellite, which allows them to continue adding SD channels - something minor, but remeber, MOST subscribers are still SD only.

Right now, with the NFL package, their 101 bandwith was very strapped during peak season. This fall, it will all be MPEG4 on the 99 or 103 sat, and DirecTV can use the space on 101 for future expansion.

What about the MLB fans? MLB season is just starting and this should be priority number 1. NFL season is done and the NBA and NHL are almost done, so what is the point of doing this now?

MLB has been going for a while.

Remember - this is only for customers that have HD, and do not have ANY MPEG4 equipment.

So - if you're still watching just 8 HD channels, then this free upgrade is for you :)

MLB has been going for a while.

Remember - this is only for customers that have HD, and do not have ANY MPEG4 equipment.

So - if you're still watching just 8 HD channels, then this free upgrade is for you :)

Masterdeals,

You sure if one does have MPEG-4 equipment they won't get the offer still? I had 1 HR20 when I got the swap out for the HR10 I had. This was under the MLB EI swap out program though. I really think D* is making a push to get all MPEG-2 equipment out of the system IMO. I guess I will find out on my parent's account, since they have 3 HR10s still & get both sports packages. I kept them active hoping D* would swap them out instead of paying out of pocket to replace them.

Masterdeals,

You sure if one does have MPEG-4 equipment they won't get the offer still? I had 1 HR20 when I got the swap out for the HR10 I had. This was under the MLB EI swap out program though. I really think D* is making a push to get all MPEG-2 equipment out of the system IMO. I guess I will find out on my parent's account, since they have 3 HR10s still & get both sports packages. I kept them active hoping D* would swap them out instead of paying out of pocket to replace them.

Are they on the "Do Not Call List", If so, I don't know how D* will be calling them, you would think they DNC list would not pertain to things that the homeowner owns.

IF you are on the DNC list are you suppose to call D* ?

Jimbo

Are they on the "Do Not Call List", If so, I don't know how D* will be calling them, you would think they DNC list would not pertain to things that the homeowner owns.

IF you are on the DNC list are you suppose to call D* ?

Jimbo

My parent's are only on the National DNC list, same as myself. So that wouldn't prevent D* from calling my parents. Only if one is on D*'s DNC list would it matter.

FYI, Satelliteracer over at DBSTalk has stated if you are on DNC list, they will send you a letter alerting you of the swap and to call to get the swap done. So that takes care of any DNC list stopping them from contacting you.

Masterdeals,

I'm "almost certain" about the mpeg2 ONLY customer getting the offer.

I will ask for clarification and let you know what they say :)

I didn't know that D* had thier own DNC list.

Jimbo

They have an internal list where customers have opted-out of receiving phone calls, email, etc.

The option to select opt-out of phone calls was on the web at one time, but I don't see it anymore. May have been changed when the redesigned the web site.

I received a very good and detailed answer:

Actually if they are mixed household they are also eligible with one caveat. If they have already swapped but chose to keep their MPEG2 receiver active (i.e. HR10-250 TIVO) then they would show up in our system as "already swapped" even though they have an active MPEG2 HD receiver on the account.
We do that so we're not constantly swapping tha receiver out. We note in the system that the customer has chosen to keep it on their account even though it was swapped and therefore can't be swapped again.

For customers on the DNC list....well first there are several DNC lists. Federal, some states, and DIRECTV internal list. It is true if there is a business relationship, we can contact our own customers even if they are on a federal or state list. However, if they are on the DIRECTV internal DNC list, we don't call.

In that case, those customers will receive some messaging on their renewal notices. For example, I think NFL renewals go out in May or around there. Some versioned language will go into those customers that fit this model of not having the right equipment that they need to swap.

The other option is to give them the phone number. These customers have been tagged in our system as eligible for the swap because they will need it to watch HD next season. So if they want to call 888-763-7772. That number would push them to an agent that can take a HD swap order, but if someone without NFL, NHL, NBA tries that number and is not eligible for a swap, the agent will not be able to process it.

Hope that helps.

So if you have ANY MPEG2 HD equipment, and currently subscribe to MLB, NBA, NHL, Nascar, or NFL packages, you can call the special number to swap your old HD receivers at no cost.
(The Nascar & MLB packages were started a few months ago)

Thanks Masterdeals, confirms my own experience with MLB package! Guess I should call that number for my parent's account, but will discuss with them first before pulling the trigger on that.

Note to all MPEG2 HD owners Please change your equipment so us who have MPEG 4 can get the current HD channels such as ESPN TNT and others in MPEG 4 thank you

They have an internal list where customers have opted-out of receiving phone calls, email, etc.

The option to select opt-out of phone calls was on the web at one time, but I don't see it anymore. May have been changed when the redesigned the web site.

There use to be a place to opt out of "Data collecting also, that is also gone now.

I wish when they DID call it would say Directv on the Caller ID, it usually says unavailable or something like that and I do not answer those calls normally.

I may have missed them calling from time to time because of this.

Jimbo

I am totally new to HD with D*, so I have a basic question - which equipment has the MPEG-2 software and which has the MPEG-4 software. I am going to have an H21 receiver installed shortly(a regular HD receiver, not a DVR). Does anyone know if this is MPEG-4 compatible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)