Funny thing Directv told me about Voom

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I'm currently a Directv customer. I've been looking at Voom because of the HD content and have been looking to possibly switch. I called Directv's customer retention just to see what kind of deal they could get me on an HD receiver. Was told that $349 was their best deal. I even told them that I was thinking of switching to Voom and the lady I was talking to told me that Directv doesn't consider Voom a competitor because all Voom has is HD and no regular channels. I guess she hasn't been paying attention. I almost fell out of my chair when she said that to me.

When I cancelled Dishnetwork, their customer retention rep told me that Voom only had 8 true HD channels, the same amount that Dishnetwork currently has (She didn't consider the fact that I would have to buy their receiver and pay an additional $10.00 a month). I know that the cinema 10 channels are 35mm transferred to HD but they look better than any DVD and they are in DD 5.1. Disconnect from those clowns and order Voom while there isn't any upfront costs and no commitment

Back in April when I let Direct TV know I was thinking of adding VOOM they listed a number of channels they said VOOM did not have. It turned out that VOOM had most of the channels they listed then and all of them now except FOOD Network. Direct TV just does not do its homework, nor do I feel they care. Rupert Murdock is pretty much in control of things there now as I understand. His FOX Network is one of the last to go HD. (in the fall)

Though without a true DVR integrated solution, most of the direct tv customers are still unwilling to switch over to Voom immediately. At least that's what the most prominent reason that I hear when I suggest people to go get Voom.

I'm all for switching, but the wife is a little appriehensive because of the lack of DVR, as of now anyway, and because to replicate our 3 room set up it will cost us appox $25 more a month because Voom charges $9.50 per receiver including the first one, and $5 for each additional outlet.

The lack of a STd receiver that you could add on for just the 5 bucks a mth really kills VOOm's chance to be a sole provider in alot of homes. Forget for a moment the ch's that VOOM doesnt have....for the wife or the kids. It just isnt a wise move to get 3 Hd Receivers when you only have one HDTV set in your house. I know that now more and more HDtv's are making it into the home...but my kids dont have an HDTV set in their bedroom...I dont have one in the basement....why cant VOOM have a STD receiver that could be just an add on. When the DVR and the smaller clients come out maybe then VOOM could be a sole provider in my house. But until then they are a add on service for me. It just isnt wise for me to pay 15 bucks a mth for every receiver I add to my account.

Vinnyv and Neutron, you don't have to pay $14.50 per month for each extra box rental and mirror if you just buy the dang extra boxes at $199 each. I have 4 boxes and my bill is less than $55/month with Playboy.

The reason they don't want to offer NTSC boxes is that will chain them to legacy NTSC channels that DirecTV and Dish are chained to. In the future when contracts consider the HD channel the primary feed, DirecTV will still have to carry NTSC versions of every single HD channel. Voom will not need to do that. Considering that Voom is gearing up to carry 94-96 channels of HD, that would require dedicating 94-96 channels of NTSC just to carry duplicate feeds for people who don't want to get an HD receiver for their second TV, which will need some form of HD receiver to pick up local channels once the switch is over and analog is turned off.

Voom will have your NTSC only box as a client for the DVR. Until then, either don't put a box on that back room TV or go HD in there, too.

Switch to Voom and Back to DTV

I made the jump to Voom last week. I was not very impressed with the user guide and menus, unreliability of signal (white noise) and the crappy install. I called DTV to see what they would do for me as far as an HD reciever. The customer retention dept. gave me a HD reciever for $200 and free showtime for 6 months. No DVR but I think I will be happier with DTV and my locals on the guide that work. Also they said they would give me a $75 credit to buy an OTA antenna, because the install did not come with one like Voom. I have a good feeling that the OTA will be alot more reliable that Vooms.

Direct TV Customer Retention Group

After our new house was built and we moved in earlier this year, I got multiple calls from the Direct Tv customer retention group (I was a subscriber at our prior home).

I actually commend them for being very aggressive and persuasive. In any event, I was offered (1) free HD receiver; (2) free regular receivers; (1) free super ovoid dish; and free installation with no minimum contract to stay.

In the end, I chose Voom because of the number of HD channels and the fact that they had just started carrying the FOX NEWS CHANNEL.

The rest is history :D

jmartinacevedo said:
After our new house was built and we moved in earlier this year, I got multiple calls from the Direct Tv customer retention group (I was a subscriber at our prior home).

I actually commend them for being very aggressive and persuasive. In any event, I was offered (1) free HD receiver; (2) free regular receivers; (1) free super ovoid dish; and free installation with no minimum contract to stay.

In the end, I chose Voom because of the number of HD channels and the fact that they had just started carrying the FOX NEWS CHANNEL.

The rest is history :D
Wow! I've never heard of D* being that generous. The funny thing about Voom is that I think Fox News was a deal breaker for as many people as ESPN. I like both channels, but I never would have guessed at how popular FNC was.

Mr.Poindexter said:
Vinnyv and Neutron, you don't have to pay $14.50 per month for each extra box rental and mirror if you just buy the dang extra boxes at $199 each. I have 4 boxes and my bill is less than $55/month with Playboy.
Im going to buy 2 receivers $400 worth for both my kids rooms when all they watch is Nick and PBS KIDS? No thanks. Im hoping Voom makes it a little more affordable to have add on's around the house when they come out with the clients. Im not in the habit of buying HD receivers for 20 in Std Tv sets.

I could not afford buying a HD receiver from D*, and they said $399 when I said I was leaving, in March. The rental program is the only way I can afford great HD programming. Now, rent the STB for $10/month or buy for $200?? After 20 months, do you think you will still want that STB, or something newer??? Makes sense to rent, as well as affordable for lots of people. Plus, did I want to buy equipment and find out that it sucks and be stuck with it?? The Voom free install and rental STB program is a win-win situation. Now that I have Voom, I would not switch for any reason!!!!!

For us Digital Cable would be what Voom would cost us. I really wish Voom would give a price break on this.

vinnyv07 said:
The lack of a STd receiver that you could add on for just the 5 bucks a mth really kills VOOm's chance to be a sole provider in alot of homes.

Couldn't you hook the Voom receiver up to a SD TV and just hit the red button to force it down into 480i? Hi def in 480i still looks pretty darn smooth if you ask me. Try it out sometime. :cool:

dledeaux said:
Couldn't you hook the Voom receiver up to a SD TV and just hit the red button to force it down into 480i? Hi def in 480i still looks pretty darn smooth if you ask me. Try it out sometime. :cool:

no need for that. Just connect via s-video, rca, or coax. Those are already 480i.

the reason there's no sd box is (I suspect) a) too much trouble (they have enough problem supporting ONE stb and b) they'll need a box that does wm9 in the future anyway.

zokucivic said:
I have a good feeling that the OTA will be alot more reliable that Vooms.

In reality, thats just wishful thinking. The V* STB is actually quite good...better than my D* HD200 for OTA.

The simple truth is that OTA can in itself be complicated. Too many variables affect reception.

Neutron said:
I'm currently a Directv customer. I've been looking at Voom because of the HD content and have been looking to possibly switch. I called Directv's customer retention just to see what kind of deal they could get me on an HD receiver. Was told that $349 was their best deal. I even told them that I was thinking of switching to Voom and the lady I was talking to told me that Directv doesn't consider Voom a competitor because all Voom has is HD and no regular channels. I guess she hasn't been paying attention. I almost fell out of my chair when she said that to me.

I've noticed that a lot of people have this misconception. I guess it's understandable when you consider how fast VOOM has been adding channels. DirectTV and Dish are going to have to get much more agressive if they hope to survive in the upcoming HD era.

I got with Voom in late Feb/early March, can't remember. I had just paid bill for D* so it was 3 weeks later when I called to unsubscribe.

Actually my company was Pegasus, who pimps for D*. I had been a customer for almost 10 years and they have only been in town for around 11 years so you could say I was an old customer. I had called Pegasus a year ago and again just before hooking up to Voom to see if they wanted to keep an old customer by cutting some kind of deal for HD. I told the lady that it was time for me to go high-def and could they offer an incentive to good customers to keep us from going to Voom. She said "Who"? I repeated Voom and she said she had never heard of Voom.

She offered this to a customer that had never even been late on a bill for over 9 years: - - - - - are you ready for this - - - - - Pegasus could install for free one HD receiver and up to three standard units and some free programming with a new triple LBN dish TO A NEW CUSTOMER! An old customer like me got this offer: "we have HD equipment we can sell to you but you would be better off to go to Best Buy and get your own equipment, it's cheaper there". Is that all you can offer I asked. "Yes, who was that company you said you were going to"? she said. I replied "you will soon find out"!

DD :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)