GoogleTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Whats a 942?
The MPEG2 HD receiver the succeeded the 921, of course.
31383014-2-440-overview-1.gif

You remember the one that the CSRs were saying could be software converted to MPEG4?

Is Dish Network accepting pre-orders? Logitech Revue is available on amazon for pre-order. I checked dishnetwork.com & the page that posts info on google tv, just states that it will be available for $179 & asks us to enter our email address for more info. Doesn't seem like it is up for pre-order on Dish Network yet.

Do we need to sign up for a 2 year contact to get the Logitech Revue at the special price?

The MPEG2 HD receiver the succeeded the 921, of course.
31383014-2-440-overview-1.gif

You remember the one that the CSRs were saying could be software converted to MPEG4?

I actually loved that receiver. It was rocksolid and I hated to get rid of it, but once the move to MPEG4 it was a no brainer.

amv said:
Is Dish Network accepting pre-orders? Logitech Revue is available on amazon for pre-order. I checked dishnetwork.com & the page that posts info on google tv, just states that it will be available for $179 & asks us to enter our email address for more info. Doesn't seem like it is up for pre-order on Dish Network yet.

Do we need to sign up for a 2 year contact to get the Logitech Revue at the special price?

I suspect you will. This how dish can break even. Their is no guarantee that you
will want to integrate the google box with your dish receiver. According to the csr I spoke with any dish customer can buy the google box at this reduce price plus a two year contract.

I don't quite understand the advantage of purchasing Google TV through Dish, rather than just buying it myself. If I purchase the unit from Dish, there will be a monthly fee. (Is the monthly fee $4 as I read somewhere else)? If I buy it myself, will I still have to pay the monthly fee? Anyone know the MSRP for the GoogleTV box?

Retail will be 299.00 and for a Dish customer 179.00

My top internet speed is 1MB. I live in the sticks and that is the best they can do (unless I want to spend a LOT of money). Is that fast enough to use this contraption properly? I mean, I've heard that if you stream a full movie you need quite a bit of speed. I don't have any problem with things like Youtube videos although on slow days the video goes to buffer and I have to wait for it to catch up. I use to have Webtv and it was phone line only back then and you could not do much at all even though it was used exclusively with a tv set. I'm just wondering if "speed" is an important consideration for this device.

My top internet speed is 1MB. I live in the sticks and that is the best they can do (unless I want to spend a LOT of money). Is that fast enough to use this contraption properly? I mean, I've heard that if you stream a full movie you need quite a bit of speed. I don't have any problem with things like Youtube videos although on slow days the video goes to buffer and I have to wait for it to catch up. I use to have Webtv and it was phone line only back then and you could not do much at all even though it was used exclusively with a tv set. I'm just wondering if "speed" is an important consideration for this device.

I think it will depend on the site you're going to. It shouldn't require any more bandwidth then a PC would. The default video-in-browser for YouTube is 360p. Go full screen and you can change the quality to whatever works. HD resolutions need at least 3-5Mbps to look acceptable. Netflix will scale to the amount of bandwidth you have... I think Amazon-on-Demand will do the same.
----
So I was looking though the setup videos and docs today and I noticed a slight change since the GTV announcement back in June-ish... So now if you have an uber-home theater setup like I do with multiple devices, they want you to stick the Revue box in between your set-top box and AV receiver. This is opposed to the original plan where the GTV would be on the other side of the AV receiver closer to the TV. Maybe it'll change at some point in the future or I'm getting it totally wrong and the actual manual will tell you how to see more then one source of video content, but for the moment you're limited to being connected to one video source. Which isn't horrible, but it's not the all-inclusive center of your entertainment nexus.

With Dish you will get your first Googletv for $179, no contract. You own the receiver. If you want a second Googletv you will pay $299 for it. There is a $4/ a month DVR integration fee. If you dont want the DVR integration, just purchase a Revue from other retail chains. This only for active accounts, Dish Googletv Revue has a Dishnetwork serial # that has to be activated before it will work. The key board will replace your Dish remote along with all your other A/V equipment remotes.

The 722k . Only the 622/722/722k receivers are compatible with Google tv according to the DISH site itself. So no 922 subs can use google tv and be integrated with the DISH receiver. :mad:

That makes no sense. Maybe they are going to give the 922 a software update that will add Google TV to it, similar to the Sony TV's.

Yes look at the * more information* on that site you mention elbodude. IT says full dvr integration will only work with three receivers: 622/722/722k. Which means no indexing of dvr recordings in the search box. No setting recordings from the search box. No DISH cinema integration and no accessing your dvr recordings in your queue. Pretty much defeats the concept of the google box in the first place.

Yes look at the * more information* on that site you mention elbodude. IT says full dvr integration will only work with three receivers: 622/722/722k. Which means no indexing of dvr recordings in the search box. No setting recordings from the search box. No DISH cinema integration and no accessing your dvr recordings in your queue. Pretty much defeats the concept of the google box in the first place.

So no reason for the $4 fee. The whole idea of Google TV for me, is to some day dump Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)