Got the Protection Plan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Last August I purchased an HD TiVo and a month from now, the warranty is about to expire. I also have 2 other HD boxes and one DVR (all owned) and thought it might be worth getting the protection plan. I read online that it is 5.99 a month : http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900030
I called up directv to order and they said it was $7.99 a month because I have Advanced equipment yet on that page it states that 5.99 covers every receiver in the house. I ordered it at 7.99 and got $5 off for 6 months so I am fine with it. Do you think I should call about what I read on that page?

The page, as well as the whole site, no doubt, is protected by something, that says something to the effect of "We are not responsible for typos or errors found on DIRECTV.com".

AFAIK, it's always been 7.99 for the advanced equipment protection plan.

I have the protection plan and when I added a TIVO it went from 5.99 to 7.99. But it has starey at 7.99 even with 2 more HD recievers. So If I have an issue with a reciever, every 2 years it pays for itself. I have had to have the 72.5 dish repointed and a AT-9 LNB replaced, both 100% free of charge.

It is $5.99 for the standard equipment. When you have HD equipment that is when it is $7.99. I was in the same boat as you.

bases1616 said:
It is $5.99 for the standard equipment. When you have HD equipment that is when it is $7.99. I was in the same boat as you.

Look above. Captain Spaulding has 2 HD TiVos and has the plan for $5.99.

Based on my recent research into this matter, it seems things have changed (or I(we) goofed), as I no longer see 7.99 as a price for the protection plan (again, IF I ever did, though I am sure I have), but the present one: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900030 shows 5.99, with no specifics wrt if it's standard or advanced equipment, or both, I as of yet, cannot find any additional services (which this falls under) from D* that costs 7.99.

If I goofed, I apologize.

So yes, I would call them on it, and ask them where it says on your contract and/or on the associated paperwork they gave you, or even on their website, that advanced equipment is 7.99.

Note, that the url above, has the following:
"Terms and conditions for the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN vary by state. Click on your location to read the full terms and conditions for Florida, Hawaii or all other states.", 'other states' is clickable, see if you are in one of those states listed, though that should not matter.

Please post your results, thanks.

Last edited:
It's true, the price for the protection plan was lowered to $5.99 a wile back, as well as the HD Package dropping from $10.99 to $9.99.

What a radical idea... actually LOWERING prices!

Newshawk said:
It's true, the price for the protection plan was lowered to $5.99 a wile back, as well as the HD Package dropping from $10.99 to $9.99.

What a radical idea... actually LOWERING prices!

Maybe it's to make room in the bank for all that future Titanium customers' money... ;)

So, if this is the case, definatly call them on it.

bases1616 said:

Currently have an H20 and R15 and paying $5.99 for Protection Plan

Account Adjustments
06/08/06 Cash Back for 15 Months -10.00
06/15/06 Credit for HBO/STARZ/SHO/MAX -41.00

Subscriptions For Receiver: 1780-881171
04/24/06 07/23/06 HD Package 3 Months Free 0.00
04/24/06 07/23/06 Welcome to DIRECTV 0.00
06/24/06 07/23/06 HBO, STARZ!, SHOWTIME, & CINEMAX Monthly 41.00
06/24/06 07/23/06 TOTAL CHOICE You Save $15/mo for 3 Months 29.99
06/24/06 07/23/06 DIRECTV Protection Plan Monthly 5.99
06/24/06 07/23/06 DIRECTV DVR Service Fee Monthly 5.99
06/25/06 Primary Leased Receiver 4.99
06/25/06 Primary Leased Receiver -4.99

But I'm also still in my 3 month "Introductory" period, so that might change.

I actually asked them about this a while back, noting the pricing on their site. I was told that 7.99 was the correct price for advanced equipment. Maybe I should try again.

cal87 said:
I actually asked them about this a while back, noting the pricing on their site. I was told that 7.99 was the correct price for advanced equipment. Maybe I should try again.

Yea, something is not right, either they need to cite somewhere the prices for each type (if different), or they need to make sure everyone is paying 5.99, or at the very least, not list any price, as it is now, it makes one think that 5.99 covers ALL equpipment, without any differentiation between advanced and standard setups.

FWIW, I don't get the plan, as I am ok with getting the plan when I need it, and waiting 31 days for it to kick in.

I currently pay $5.99 with two standard recievers. When inquiring about a DVR I was informed the protection plan would rise to $7.99 if/when the DVR was activated.

Stupid question - if the new equipment is "leased" then it's covered automatically ? - i just got a free HR10-250 and its leased. :hatsoff:

johnml said:
Stupid question - if the new equipment is "leased" then it's covered automatically ? - i just got a free HR10-250 and its leased. :hatsoff:

It's not stupid, read my signature. ;)

Yes, but just the leased receiver. You would still need the plan if you wanted to cover everything else (owned recs., dish, cabling, etc) (unless you get TCPr, where it is waived, I believe).

Someone correct me if I am in error.

Last edited:
The protection plan covers everything but the receiver, and covers the shipping and handling on the receiver.

OK, I should have said leased receivers... leased receivers, being the property of D*, are replaced at no charge. The protection plan then covers the shipping and handling fee only.

directvfreak said:
Look above. Captain Spaulding has 2 HD TiVos and has the plan for $5.99.

the error is in his favor, 799 is the going rate for the advanced equipment plan and has been for awhile. i too had it at 599 but one day after alot of people had said they were paying 799 my account changed to show the correct price, the error was in my favor for well over 6 months but eventually directv caught it, possibly after i had a box issue and they replaced a box for free.

After reading this thread I called DTV and asked what the price is for the protection plan with advanced equipment. The CSR (Jonathan) told me it was $5.99, so he changed my account to reflect that price and gave me a $15.00 credit to cover the over charge. I just hope I don't have any problems if I ever need to use the plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.