Great News - Voom Is Here To Stay!!

In response to an article at Yahoo Finance last night...

"In consideration, VOOM HD will assume and indemnify Cablevision against substantially all of the liabilities of the Rainbow DBS satellite business existing at the closing of thereafter incurred."
Translation: VOOM HD will assume VOOM DBS liabilities. However, Cablevision may underwrite the debt under very favorable terms (low interest rate). Also, a great deal of the liabilities may shift or be paid-off prior to the closing date.
"Cablevision will incur certain severance costs in connection with the transaction."
Translation: Cablevision will pay through the nose to keep Dolan Sr. from breaking up Cablevision and maintain the peace. I'm sure this severance package will be enough for VOOM HD LLC to operate through 2005 in exchange for Dolan Sr. and Jr. converting CVC stock to non-voting shares. Get ready for HD DVR, Bigger Dish and MPEG-4!
"VOOM HD is in the process of securing financing to support the ongoing operations of the business and anticipates having that financing in place by the close of the transition."
1. Long-term debt secured by favorable loan terms from CVC.
2. FY 2005 operating funds are to be supplied by CVC through a generous severance offer. This about it, the knot-head CEO at HP was just given a $21 million severance. In this case, you're providing severance to Dolan Sr. and Dolan Jr. I think we're looking at $250M?
3. Rainbow DBS assets are going to be picked-up by VOOM HD LLC for a song. Trust me on this one.
4. VOOM HD LLC will continue to use Rainbow-1 through 2006. As part of the compensation package, E* will withhold some of the $200M sales price for the leased equipment/transponders. E* will take control of Rainbow-1 once V* has Rainbow-3 in the sky.

riffjim4069 said:
4. VOOM HD LLC will continue to use Rainbow-1 through 2006. As part of the compensation package, E* will withhold some of the $200M sales price for the leased equipment/transponders. E* will take control of Rainbow-1 once V* has Rainbow-2 in the sky.

As a point of clarification, Rainbow-2 is actually AMC-6 that was launched in October of 2000. Here's a link providing information about AMC-6:

http://www.ses-americom.com/satellites/amc-6.html

joverstr2 said:
Thanks God!! I can now finally get off this damn emotional roller coaster... :bounce Allot of people are eating crow today... :neener

I guess the self-proclaimed master Tele-visionary prognosticator Swanni was wrong about Voom. (http://www.tvpredictions.com/voom111204.html) Lets all send him thanks for his arrogant ineptness.

By the way, can what I wrote above be considered libel or slander? If so, I am not in my right mind at this time since I’m hammered out of my gourd.

pointing angle for AMC-6???

Anyone have a pointing angle from MA. to AMC-6? The current bird is almost due south and around 45 deg above horizon if I remember right. Planning on where the new dish can be mounted.

TheTimm said:
So you're saying next time one of these guys switches (seems to be common), maybe they'll go with Voom? Great news! When are the contracts up?

BB, CC just re-upped with D*, so not for a while, and remember these businesses have to answer to there investors just as Cablevision did.
Think about the business side, say Best Buy gets 100,000 new subs in a quarter for D*, if it would switch to V* they would have less at first because V* is trying to build its customer base, so V* then needs to figure out what to give BB ( or others) to carry V* to make up for the lost income of dropping D*.
Also Best Buy gets income for every new sub. it sells for D*.
Lastly, remember this, where is E* sold at, not BB or CC, they started out in ( and still are mostly) in Cell Phone store and little places, most of their sales has to be phone/web sites, and they are at 11 million subs.Voom might not need to be in BB or CC, they just need to market themselves better, how is the hard question.

rocatman said:
As a point of clarification, Rainbow-2 is actually AMC-6 that was launched in October of 2000. Here's a link providing information about AMC-6:

http://www.ses-americom.com/satellites/amc-6.html
I was referring to Rainbow-2 as being the new Satellite being constructed by Lockheed Martin; I still call the SES sat AMC-6. Ok, for a point of further clarification...what is the official term for VOOMs transponders on AMC-6? Is it still AMC-6 or do we call it Rainbow-2? It seems to me that AMC-6 is the proper name.

screech said:
Anyone have a pointing angle from MA. to AMC-6? The current bird is almost due south and around 45 deg above horizon if I remember right. Planning on where the new dish can be mounted.

I think it's about a 10d swing WSW from the old one, right? For me I think it's around 190d or so.

I was wrong.. I admit it.. I poured some of my 40 on the ground for VOOM. Now I am trying to lick it back off the sidewalk. :eek:

Now, I hope you folks get a DVR soon.

The fact that Motorola purchased Ucentric at least give you a fighting chance.

screech said:

DirecTV 5 is at 72.5 W so AMC-6 is only a half degree east of it.

i am so glad that voom is here to stay i just got it installed last night and its great

awesome

Lots of people saw my HDTV on Super Sunday and are anticipating purchasing one of their own as a result. As soon as they do, they will be in the market for more content. I will gladly refer them to VOOM!!! I'm a satisfied customer that had a good installation experience. If the dish needs re aiming, I'll aim it myself in order to save Chuck Dolan a few bucks.

This still makes zero financial sense. Congrats on sending the executioner packing but I can't see anyone giving Charlie V. any money using Voom as collateral. The only thing he can do is put up his Cablevision stock (which ironically should go UP now that Cablevision has ditched the albatross). That $1 Billion will buy them another two years assuming he is willing to flush his entire fortune against the tide. Given the fact that Charlie and Jim have just as much love for each other as Lex and Lionel Luthor (just started watching Smallville on HD NET this year so I'm only caught up until Season 2 where they are still at each others throats in a business sense) he may be willing to spend James' inheritance in keeping his dream alive.

Hey, here's a scenario that I'd love to see (and I'd become a V* subscriber to boot). Figure out a way so that my dish pointed at 61.5 can pick up the channels and I'll sign up tomorrow assuming I can maintain my E* account. I don't know the technical limitations, but E* was able to make Sirius work for them so who knows.......

bruce said:
Sears-well, we all know.
Will K-Mart sell Voom? Wouldn't that be a little out of their demographic?
Sean Mota said:
More Details from Newsday
But the Cablevision board, steered by James Dolan and investment guru Steve Rattner, scotched that plan, after the Securities and Exchange Commission repeatedly refused to approve the spinoff plan.
Will the SEC approve basically the same spinoff now? If so, why?
Sean Mota said:
mdonnelly said:
Considering the size of the liabilities, that ain't really free.
What is the size of the liabilities?
Don't you know? :D

Again, congrats on the stay of execution. I hope it becomes permanent on the 28th.

JL

ddlsmith said:
I have mentioned Voom to many, many of them, including those I know have HDTVs and I have not encountered ONE person who has even heard of VOOM.

Interesting, when I got VOOM last spring and told a couple friends I had HDTV they both asked if I had VOOM. These weren't exactly technically inclined people, nor the type that would know what VOOM was. One lives in an apartment building and the other is one of those widowed old cat woman (you know the type the old spinster down the street that lives with a dozen cats :eek: )

Who knows I may be the only person in the county with VOOM, I only know of about a dozen people in the region with VOOM.

"The downlink on Voom is circular and E* is linear--two different types of LNBF's"

I don't know about that - I switched from E* to Voom, and I am currently using my E* dish & LNBF - Voom works fine. (Installer left a Voom dish and LNBF for me, in case I ever wanted to discontinue service and go back to E* - I wouldn't have to take anything down).

Maybe some more technical types can tell me if they are different types of LNBF's, why does my setup work?

mmulet said:
"The downlink on Voom is circular and E* is linear--two different types of LNBF's"

Maybe some more technical types can tell me if they are different types of LNBF's, why does my setup work?
The statement you quoted is incorrect.

All DBS providers use circular polarization on all of their DBS satellites.
FSS ku providers use linear polarizations on their satellites (including E*'s 105 and 121).

V* uses circular polarization on Rainbow 1.
V* will use linear polarization on "Rainbow 2" (AMC-6), FSS ku.

JL

The more significant difference between (modern) E* and other LNBFs is the stacking set used by DishPro. It's NOT compatible wth D* or V*.

The Legacy E* gear should work fine.