Is FTA available to us here in Alaska?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shemya

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Alaska
Hello, I'm out at Shemya Island at the end of the Aluetian Chain in Alaska. I maintain our private CATV system here for about 130 people on the island that we give free programing to. We are getting charged $1600 per month, $19,200 per year to recieve 5 local Network feeds that are on Sat:AMC7 provided by GCI, we go through a provider in Alaska that gladly takes our money. My question is if FTA is available and free could we buy our own recievers (5) and set up our own account without having to pay this huge fee? We own our 4.5 meter dish but the recievers are just leased through the provider we pay . I would appreciate any input you have on our situation here.
Thank You!

I am in Fairbanks and am able to watch NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS from los_anchorage in HD via Free to Air. I'm don't think your legally allowed to rebroadcast these on cable, but other FTA channels that might be openly redistributable. The satellite that has the Anchorage stations in HD for free has a footprint that only covers the Aleutians to Cold Bay, but that might not be that accurate and is worth a try. Your other option is ARCS which shows a potpourri of anchorage station programming.

While is is OK to watch FTA channels in the comfort of your own home, you must have the permission of a broadcaster to redistribute. There are many channels that would be happy to provide this permission, but network stations will not be available without contract.

Shemya

lived on Adak for some time and been on Shemya. You do a get some wind, I know all to well. Most FTA dishes would just fold on Adak or Shemya. A dish you have on site likely is built for the winds.

If I lived out in the middle of the pacific ocean on a secluded Alaskan island I would do whatever it takes to keep checks & balances. We're talking about 130 people, not 130k. My guess is these people are not strangers to each other either. You folks need to be a little creative & never kiss n tell.

Wouldn't "I maintain our private CATV system" mean it's owned by the people doing the watching?? Meaning, in the end, it's not being distributed for (where the big guys would get upset) profit. That would be like me and my neighbor watching RT off my dish with a dual output LNBF. Could I get into trouble ???

We are getting charged $1600 per month, $19,200 per year to recieve 5 local Network feeds that are on Sat:AMC7 provided by GCI, we go through a provider in Alaska that gladly takes our money.

Damn thats a lot of money....just sayin ;)

I guess back to the original thread there is a option. It may not be the best out there but it is free

on 139W (AMC8) there is 3 stations
ARCS (Alaska Rural Communication Services) which you probably know about. Its a mix of the networks
Alaska One PBS
Alaska Three (U of Alaska)

and on 137W (same satellite as right now) is 360North and what folks call "the hockey channel" which is the GCI bulletin board channel but has UAA & UAF hockey games on there

As for the GCI channels they are scrambled and you have to pay to get those like you currently do now

If you 130 are a single "family", co-op, or private club, perhaps with membership dues ...
wait! ... and I'm serious when I say this: a religious congregation!
Setting up your own church is trivial.
At any rate, consult a creative lawyer. :)
I suspect there is a way around the re-distribution law.
(perhaps some "native American" twist?)
You might not get all existing channels, but maybe you could add a few.

edit: also look into the town Library ability to lend DVDs.
Everybody just gives all their DVDs to the Library.
And maybe you could play that collection on a spare channel? ;)

Last edited:
This site is awesome! Thanks for the info, now I understand it better. Our provider must have the agreement with the networks and pays them a fee. Thanks again!

"If you 130 are a single "family", co-op, or private club, perhaps with membership dues ...wait! ... and I'm serious when I say this: a religious congregation!
Setting up your own church is trivial. at any rate, consult a creative lawyer. :) I suspect there is a way around the re-distribution law.
(perhaps some "native American" twist?)You might not get all existing channels, but maybe you could add a few. edit: also look into the town Library ability to lend DVDs.Everybody just gives all their DVDs to the Library. And maybe you could play that collection on a spare channel?"

I probably should of mentioned that I work for a contractor that maintains the airfield for the AirForce so we probably would have a hard time claiming we are a religious sect..lol.. I like your thinking though! Actually we have a pretty sweet setup here considering TV is the biggest Moral booster! We recieve 40 channels from Dishnetwork on our 7M KU dish, The 5 Anchorage locals on AMC 7 and 8 DVD channels all brodcasted from our new Headend we just upgraded. Still on analog Mods but the picture quality is pretty good considering we are still on RG59 for most of the distribution which we plan on upgrading... Thanks again for you help everyone!

... or snow fade? :)

hint: You get extra brownie points by posting relevant pictures.

We recieve 40 channels from Dishnetwork on our 7M KU dish
Which bird? 110? 119?
Could you add another LNBF and get more on your existing subscription?
Or, are you getting their hotel service?

assume it would be 119 as that is where most of the "cable" channels are.
Also using the calculator posted above 119 is only a 4 elevation....110 is below the horizon

[ We recieve 40 channels from Dishnetwork on our 7M KU dish, The 5 Anchorage locals on AMC 7

one thought and it depends on the account setup you have with DIsh
The Anchorage locals (10 total) are rebroadcast on Dish. Satellite 119
Big 4 networks + PBS along with
KDMD Independent (I think its Ion)
KACN (public access type
360north
and a subchannel off KYES 5 (My Network)

Maybe you can get them that way instead of through the GCI headend right now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts