Mike White, Undercover Boss

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And that surprises anybody? All these "reality" type shows are scripted and edited. The idea is to make entertaining television, not reality. They shot an "Extreme Makeover" here last year and the thing was loaded with retakes, multiple camera setups and the family was coached what to say how to act surprised. I'll bet they did the " move the bus" sequence at least a dozen times. People like these shows and there's nothing wrong with that, but they shouldn't be mistaken for "real" reality.

BIG FAT DITTO TO BOTH YOUR AND BOBA'S COMMENTS!

There is no such thing as a reality show other than maybe COPS and those types.

I was in the post office over 28 years and saw it day in and day out. The national level bosses would make it sound as if they cared, but the mid level guys had one thought, GET BACK TO WORK AND GET ME MY BONUS!

Now you make me feel old. I left before the whole bonus thing. I started when bundles were tied out with real twine - long before elastic bands. Each case had a roll of brown twine and a little device called a finger cutter - to cut the twine. And each case had a clip-on ash try. And carriers had real metal badges.

Now I really feel old.

But back to the "Reality" TV show.

I watched most of it.

Yes, this is now totally scripted. Not even close to the real world. A joke.

And from watching past shows - this guy was cheap with the funds/money - and advancement/training opportunities.

The best one I have seen was the CEO of Hooters. That show was a real wakeup call for that CEO.

The Hooters one was really good. I also liked the "AFR" on last weeks show with Great Wolf Lodge.

I dont know if they get a bonus but there are days here where it feels like the middle managment is happy in what there doing and that means doing nothing at all but the status quo because heave forbid we rock the boat.

Oh, they get the bonus. Everyone else just gets the bone.

So if it's raining and you have an install , you cancel it ?

Yup, because you can't verify the system is working correctly. You are responsible for that install for 90 days. If it a service call is generated you get money taking out your check. That is the system Directv created and if you play by their rules you will get burned.

If you call in and say my IRD's aren't working and you say a tech was there yesterday Directv CSR will not check the notes to see if a waiver was given due to bad weather they will just apologize, blame the tech and schedule a service call.

If anything else I would assume being on a roof or whatever to install consumer electronics gear would constitute a safety hazard anyway. I wouldn't do it either.

Yup, because you can't verify the system is working correctly. You are responsible for that install for 90 days. If it a service call is generated you get money taking out your check. That is the system Directv created and if you play by their rules you will get burned.

If you call in and say my IRD's aren't working and you say a tech was there yesterday Directv CSR will not check the notes to see if a waiver was given due to bad weather they will just apologize, blame the tech and schedule a service call.

You mean the sub is just out of luck ?
Glad they don't do that in my business, when the rain and snow is coming is when my subs have the most need for the service, if I told our subs that we can't fix your service till the weather gets better, we would be out of customers to worry about.

I WANT my D* service installed weather or not, this way when the rain is coming down, I know how far it is till I will lose service.

Then again, were in two different industries, so I'm not comparing apples to apples, but I would be highly pissed if I took the day off work and was told that they would not do my install due to possible bad weather coming.
Lightning I can understand, rain is an everyday obstacle.

Glad they don't do that in my business, when the rain and snow is coming is when my subs have the most need for the service, if I told our subs that we can't fix your service till the weather gets better, we would be out of customers to worry about.

I WANT my D* service installed weather or not, this way when the rain is coming down, I know how far it is till I will lose service.

Then again, were in two different industries, so I'm not comparing apples to apples, but I would be highly pissed if I took the day off work and was told that they would not do my install due to possible bad weather coming.

1. from my experience it depends on how hard the rain is, but alot of he times it a matter on if the tech is lazy or not. a very small few but enough to give techs bad names wont even install in a drizzle.

that is the difference, your service job is different since your job is regulated.

Also that I Want my Service is a big difference since when I CAN"T activate an IRD because It will not PASS the IVR and I have to CALL for a Waiver. THERE ARE MORE STEP AFTER THAT PROCESS. The show failed to mention that and it obvious you don't know either. IF a sub calls Directv often and I do mean often it will result in a re-roll.
Those re-rolls count against you the installer, your JOB is on the LINE!!!
Why put yourself in that situation.

Last edited:
1. from my experience it depends on how hard the rain is, but alot of he times it a matter on if the tech is lazy or not. a very small few but enough to give techs bad names wont even install in a drizzle.

Or a Technicians getting burned too many times by CSR who are too LAZY talk a customer press the continue so they can get a picture.

We can go back and forth on this and it isn't going to end well.

I thought the show was ok, looks like undercover boss is becoming a version of "extreme makeover"-Employer addition

It was intresting to see that they have training centers, with "sample homes" did not know that!!

If anything else I would assume being on a roof or whatever to install consumer electronics gear would constitute a safety hazard anyway. I wouldn't do it either.

exactly,
It's one thing if you start working and get caught in Rain and it another to start out working in the pouring down rain.

Now you make me feel old. I left before the whole bonus thing. I started when bundles were tied out with real twine - long before elastic bands. Each case had a roll of brown twine and a little device called a finger cutter - to cut the twine. And each case had a clip-on ash try. And carriers had real metal badges.

Now I really feel old.

I started in 1980. There was virtually no presorted mail, except some local mailings and the national magazines, IIRC. I had one of the finger cutters at my case, but it didn't get much use because it was so dull. I never had a metal badge, only the cheap id badge they started with around 1995 or so. When did you work there and which office?

BIG FAT DITTO TO BOTH YOUR AND BOBA'S COMMENTS!

There is no such thing as a reality show other than maybe COPS and those types.

Even COPS is heavily edited. They shoot for days and then cut the "action" together to appear it's all happening on the same shift. As any officer will tell you, it's not all car chases and running after bad guys. Most of the time it's just pretty mundane calls that would bore the viewer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)