Newbie needs guidance!

My 2 cents worth. I’m not familiar with your LNBF but trust the receiver settings are correct and you have an active transponder saved and are tuned to it.
First thing I would do is work on it on the ground especially if you already fell off the ladder. I’ve picked up a 2 1/4 inch fence post from Home Depot, hammered the end to make a wedge type point and pounded it in the ground and attached the dish only. Try to find your satellite by starting lower than you think (or calculate), move the dish slowly east and west in the general compass direction then raise the dish a bit and rotate again. Repeat until you find a signal. That way you at least have the correct elevation. When you move it back to the roof you should only have to rotate it to find the satellite and maybe tweak the elevation. And yes, it looks like it is pointed too high to me too according to your picture.

Reactions: KE4EST
How is he going to do this, when he hasn't even got his FIRST signal? Read the whole thread before replying.
Before you start casting stones, If he sets if USAL
How is he going to do this, when he hasn't even got his FIRST signal? Read the whole thread before replying.
Before you start casting stones, first if he sets up his USALS with his latitude and longitude that will put him close enough to do what I had suggested , and in the future you don’t have anything constructed to add please reframe from speaking it does no good.

• Haha
Reactions: primestar31
Dear god what have all these forums become? You won't see me on many just for this reason. Society is in a big collapse, no one can take constructive criticism anymore with out getting offended. I think all the help was positive, but hey that's just me.

Reactions: a33
Dear god what have all these forums become? You won't see me on many just for this reason. Society is in a big collapse, no one can take constructive criticism anymore with out getting offended. I think all the help was positive, but hey that's just me.
I just finished reading this entire thread and it seems that everyone has tried to help. Its hard to guide anyone through a difficult task via forum posts back and forth.

I remember the thrill of when I got my first KU satellite dish lined up to 97W. I had a very simple setup and easy access to my dish. It was mounted on a tripod on my back patio and just had the LNBF cable going straight into the back of my receiver. The TV, dish, and receiver were all within a few feet of each other. I used the receiver's signal quality bar as my signal meter. And the receiver was tuned to a known strong transponder frequency.

But even with the minimal setup and easy access to my dish, getting that first signal from 97W was hard and very time consuming! I was surprised at how fine the dish adjustments had to be. But the result was worth it.

I hope rimichael doesn't give up and gets that first signal. It's a great hobby.

But I guess I was outvoted by the american votes...? ;):)

Well, I did put those smileys there for a reason!
No ruckus as far as I am concerned.
As a person, you have to accept defeat sometimes, or being outvoted. ;)

Apart from that: there are many ways to Rome (Italy), they say. I don't know if my way would be better, or worse, than the other, for rimachael.
It might be that by being offered various ways, he learns a bit extra about the principles. That would be good.

By the way, rimichael: Did you read or use some set-up manuals on the internet or this forum?
Which one(s)?

Greetz,
A33

Good Morning Guy's. I had to take a little time to wake up and comprehend the past posts and the best I can say No Harm, No Foul. With each and every post I have learned more and more about this new hobby of mine and they say you can't teach an ole dog new tricks! LOL! Everyone here has helped me learn a great deal in which I take detailed notes so that I can apply at the time or if not then soon after if that step does not work. Either way it is valuable information to me and the only thing I find is at fault is that being an older disabled veteran, getting up and down that damm roof is tough
I do want to take the time to thank each and everyone for the help and just hope that this thread does not get closed and/or that any negative feelings develop between members or guest. I think that this site is better than awesome and offers tons of help, education support and hopefully friendships. I hope it continues thru my journey learning and continuing my new found hobby even though it is quite frustrating at times. I want to close by thanking you all. Michael

Good Morning Guy's. I had to take a little time to wake up and comprehend the past posts and the best I can say No Harm, No Foul. With each and every post I have learned more and more about this new hobby of mine and they say you can't teach an ole dog new tricks! LOL! Everyone here has helped me learn a great deal in which I take detailed notes so that I can apply at the time or if not then soon after if that step does not work. Either way it is valuable information to me and the only thing I find is at fault is that being an older disabled veteran, getting up and down that damm roof is tough
I do want to take the time to thank each and everyone for the help and just hope that this thread does not get closed and/or that any negative feelings develop between members or guest. I think that this site is better than awesome and offers tons of help, education support and hopefully friendships. I hope it continues thru my journey learning and continuing my new found hobby even though it is quite frustrating at times. I want to close by thanking you all. Michael

Everybody is different and we all have slighty different ways of getting to the same goal. Sometimes feathers get ruffled but most of the time things sort themselves out and everybody is friends again. I have seen a lot worse. ;) As long as the final goal is achieved all should be good. As you said, it is a great site. That is why it exists. Hope you can get this sorted out soon and start watching some FTA satellite tv. :)

P.S. Thank you for your service! :usa

No better feeling then when you get your FIRST solid signal and picture! Once you get that, and CONFIRM it's on the actual satellite you are trying to get (97w), run a blindscan BEFORE doing anymore adjustments to peak the signal. Then, give us the details to confirm the satellite you are aimed on, and then you can do some signal peaking.

Let me give you a little TRICK: once you get that signal, and before you make another move to try to peak it stronger, make a thin pencil mark straight UP and DOWN between the dish mount, and the pole it's on. That way, if you have to loosen thing up VERY slightly to turn the dish, ect, you have a reference point. That's because you'll find out that the slightest movement might make you lose that signal, and you could spend hours just getting it back. With the pencil mark, you could at least just line it all back up to get the signal back, then make even smaller adjustments.

Reactions: N6BY and FTA4PA
Will do. I'm just guzzling down some java and waiting for the bod to wake up and gather my notes and mind before I go up this morning. ty.

Reactions: FTA4PA
While up there could you please snap a good photo of your setup?
Of importance is the side view of the dish showing the lnbf throat pointing at the dish.
I'm interested in the reflection angle of your lnbf off of the dish. The pool table effect of sorts.
When you assembled your dish was there a lot of 'iffy' slop in mounting the lnbf arm?
If you have a smart phone please search for something related to satellite ar or ar satellite.
Provided the compass on your phone is calibrated correctly and you're not very close to a large mass of metal.
You will spot on see where in the sky the satellite of interest is.

While up there could you please snap a good photo of your setup?
Of importance is the side view of the dish showing the lnbf throat pointing at the dish.
I'm interested in the reflection angle of your lnbf off of the dish. The pool table effect of sorts.
When you assembled your dish was there a lot of 'iffy' slop in mounting the lnbf arm?
If you have a smart phone please search for something related to satellite ar or ar satellite.
Provided the compass on your phone is calibrated correctly and you're not very close to a large mass of metal.
You will spot on see where in the sky the satellite of interest is.
sure thing...ill take a bunch of pic's. just hung up on the phone right now.

Reactions: FTA4PA
pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20221115_130148210_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221115_130148210_HDR.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20221115_130127853_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221115_130127853_HDR.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20221115_130117906_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221115_130117906_HDR.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 90
That's aimed WAY too high! Give us a photo showing the elevation adjustment bolt area, showing the degree markings of how you have it set.

Ah! It is good that you read the whole thread before replying, and repeat most of #43.... ;)
(LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist the shot for open goal....)

He has obviously not demounted the motor yet, so all is still as it was at that moment.

Greetz,
A33

Ah! It is good that you read the whole thread before replying, and repeat most of #43.... ;)
(LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist the shot for open goal....)

He has obviously not demounted the motor yet, so all is still as it was at that moment.

Greetz,
A33
It bears repeating, until he actually does it.

Reactions: arlo
You go Mike! haha
Yeah. Rimi. Get the idea of this page. Stamped dish mount angles, motor angles aside.
Get the AR application and look at the satellite arc in the sky. If you can get the arrowed lines pointing at the sat you're looking for. At least you'll be a lot closer than your photos show. The angles of your current setup look like you're closer to the equator. Still waiting on closeups.

edit:
at first I thought I was looking at a starlink dishy!