Newbie needs guidance!

LOL! Ok, I will rig a setup to bring with me on the roof. I will do this tomorrow since I'm beat. I'll also take so pics of the setup and equipment. I do have the pole set straight as an arrow via a level. I had to tilt the motor up a bit so the dish view would clear the roofline but that doesn't matter right now since I am not using it right now as per your instructions. Thank you guy's for the help and will update you tomorrow. Thanks again.
Don't feel too bad, you aren't the first to do this, and won't be the last. The only REAL mistake you made, was playing with it for a month before asking for help! lol

Wait until you get your very first solid signal and picture, there's not a whole lot of things that feel better than that feeling.

Hi all, I am getting ready to hit the roof to find a satellite with my GT V8 Finder 2 meter that I bought. I am wondering what would be a good satellite to air for with most programs or channels when I am in central west florida before I go up. Any ideas? oh, sorry, trying to get a Ku sat.

Hi all, I am getting ready to hit the roof to find a satellite with my GT V8 Finder 2 meter that I bought. I am wondering what would be a good satellite to air for with most programs or channels when I am in central west florida before I go up. Any ideas? oh, sorry, trying to get a Ku sat.
97w, Galaxy 19. Hands down the best to start with first. 100's of channels that are open.

Try for this one first, CCTV:

12084 V
DVB-S
QPSK
20760-3/4

Reactions: FTA4PA
97w, Galaxy 19. Hands down the best to start with first. 100's of channels that are open.

Try for this one first, CCTV:

12084 V
DVB-S
QPSK
20760-3/4
Thank you Mike, You saved me a ton of time/effort choosing one. I'll let you know how it works out and post some pics of my setup.

Thank you Mike, You saved me a ton of time/effort choosing one. I'll let you know how it works out and post some pics of my setup.

Forget the motor and all the rest right now. Dish on pole, short coax to your meter or to your receiver with a small tv up there. NOTHING ELSE beyond some wrenches for adjusting.

Get the dishes elevation set, and lightly tighten the dish down on the pole, but just barely loose enough so you can spin it East-West. Real SMALL movements, on the order of the width of a pencil lead. Wait 20-30 seconds between any movements. Once you get a signal, make pencil marks between the dish bottom and pole, up and down thin line. That way you have a baseline to tell just how far you REALLY are making slight movements to get the highest signal.

Don't forget that doing it this way, you must also have the lnbf twisted to match the satellite for your area.

Only after you have everything peaked as perfect as you can, should you then decide to try to install the motor. If you have any hair left, you might NOT after finishing that job, lol

is it skew r24.38?
From this website. Enter your coordinates of the dish on your house, then select 97w Galaxy 19, and press the Search button. It'll give you everything you need, skew shows at bottom of page. DishPointer - Align your satellite dish

Oh yeah, the skew it shows you is as if you are at the back of the dish, looking through it to the lnbf. Easy way to think of it, is IF you were looking UP at the satellite itself, which way is it tilted for your location to match the curve of the Earth. It's not normally super critical, just for getting a signal anyway

Ok just got back down from the roof. I spent an hour straight looking for a signal with no luck. I dont think I am using my meter right. I get a fluctuation between 60-69% signal with 0 % quality but still no connection. I can point the dish to my roof with the same results. I think I need to use something else like a setup that was mentioned earlier. I'll rig up a moniter/my sat box so I can use that instead. First I need to dry off due to sweat and take a little break before trying again.LOL

Ok just got back down from the roof. I spent an hour straight looking for a signal with no luck. I dont think I am using my meter right. I get a fluctuation between 60-69% signal with 0 % quality but still no connection. I can point the dish to my roof with the same results. I think I need to use something else like a setup that was mentioned earlier. I'll rig up a moniter/my sat box so I can use that instead. First I need to dry off due to sweat and take a little break before trying again.LOL
Give us some photos of your dish, and what it's aimed at as it is right NOW.

Reactions: a33 and FTA4PA
Hi Guy's.... Sorry for my delay but last week I fell off the ladder was out of commission for a few days. I went up today and tried to connect with 97w and its seems by the hand meter I have 99% connected and I have good strength on the receiver but 0 quality. I also took a pic of the gtmedia v8 finder 2 that I can't figure out to use and gave up on. If by looking at my pics is all I have to do is gently move it to gain quality? or are my setting wrong or even both. Thanks again so much for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_140055751_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221112_140055751_HDR.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20221112_140040997.jpg
    IMG_20221112_140040997.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20221112_140028740.jpg
    IMG_20221112_140028740.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20221112_135851329_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221112_135851329_HDR.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20221112_135839391_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221112_135839391_HDR.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20221112_140724717.jpg
    IMG_20221112_140724717.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi Guy's.... Sorry for my delay but last week I fell off the ladder was out of commission for a few days. I went up today and tried to connect with 97w and its seems by the hand meter I have 99% connected and I have good strength on the receiver but 0 quality. I also took a pic of the gtmedia v8 finder 2 that I can't figure out to use and gave up on. If by looking at my pics is all I have to do is gently move it to gain quality? or are my setting wrong or even both. Thanks again so much for any help.
That transponder you are using in pic. one 11836 is no longer active so you will need to change that setting to an active transponder.

Ok thank you... I have these choices: 11836 v 20770
11842 h 22000
11960 v 22000
12028 h 22000
12053 v 22000
12060 h 22000
12115 v 22425
12146 v 22000
12152 h 22000
12177 v 23000
12184 h 22500
Any idea which is best?

G back in the house and find which one has the strongest signal, and which has the weaknesses signal, make sure peak it while of the roof using the elevation adjustment, once you have done that, this is what I do I used USALS with my longitude then I used the DiSEqC 1.2 to adjust and peak by moving it from east and west adjustments once you have peak save it on the DiSEqC 1.2 setting and do the same for the next satellites util you are finish.

G back in the house and find which one has the strongest signal, and which has the weaknesses signal, make sure peak it while of the roof using the elevation adjustment, once you have done that, this is what I do I used USALS with my longitude then I used the DiSEqC 1.2 to adjust and peak by moving it from east and west adjustments once you have peak save it on the DiSEqC 1.2 setting and do the same for the next satellites util you are finish.
How is he going to do this, when he hasn't even got his FIRST signal? Read the whole thread before replying.

Reactions: Captain Midnight