Newbie setting up multiple TVs inside a house

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ipsolutions

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Thank you all for the help. Now another very basic question from this newbie--

Assuming I get quality and can lock onto a satellite, how do I set up multiple TVs inside the house?

So I assume I would have one TV connected to the Ku receiver. This one selects the satellite and transponder. Then, should I put a cable signal divider downstream of the receiver that goes to the additional TVs? Does a single transponder carry multiple channels? If this is the case, seems each TV would then scan the channels available to it, and show whichever is selected on the various TVs from a single transponder?

That is, I would have one "master" TV connected to the receiver that chooses the satellite and transponder, etc. all other TVs receive the signal from this transponder and choose a channel by their individual remote controls?

There is so much to learn...

Yes, you need a receiver for each TV - unless you want to watch the same program on both TVs. If you want more then two TVs then you need a multi-switch that is feed with 2 cables from a dual feed LNB. One cable for the vertical and one for the horizontal signals.

You then have a port on the multi-switch for each TV/receiver combination - using one cable from the multi-switch to each TV/receiver combo.
Bob

PS see post #7 of this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/134124-switch-setups-simplified.html

Last edited:
How many satellites are you trying to watch?
How many dishes/LNBFs are involved?
Any motorized dishes?

How many TV sets and what quality are you trying to achieve?
There's a big difference between every TV set demanding different HD signals via their own HDMI cable, and multiple (kid's room?) viewers happy with cartoons via an RF modulator.

Two common approaches are:
- single FTA receiver per TV set
- single FTA receiver per channel, which is fed throughout the house

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Coolsat 8000 power supply problem

Sathawk DVR800 resolution setting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts