NEWS FLASH: New Channels: LIFETIME Net, CMT, National Geographic,...

David...thanks for a great post!

...but you better start building the bomb shelter...it's still dangerous out here. :no

Scientific observation and evaluation isn't necessarily appreciated at some times and in some places. (READ: HERE and NOW). :no It's terrific to hear from one who has the ability (training in the field, and experience with the the observation of the subject at hand) who can offer their opinion.

Thanks, Vicki :)

freezetime said:
Sadly, if VOOM doesn't add Fox Sports West, I will have to cancel my VOOM. I would hate to have to do that. I have been enduring not watching Laker home games since November and now that baseball is starting up, not being able to watch my Angels is unaccpetable to me. Here's hoping VOOM adds Fox Sports West.

So, cancel it -- there are 17 regional Fox Sports Net channels. So, for each Voom viewer to add ONE channel to their lineup, Voom would have to dedicate the bandwidth for SEVENTEEN channels.

That'd be fine if we had oodles of bandwidth and nothing to do with it -- which may well be the case with the MPEG-4 compression, and a general lack of HD content to choose from. However, with Voom being an underdog provider in general, and with Voom probably always facing an uphill battle as far as satellite space goes, Voom should stay far, far away from regional and local broadcasts over satellite.

There are a lot of posts from Voomers talking about how much they loved it when Voom's SD PQ was the sharpest of the 3 satellite providers. To me, providing pristine SD PQ (and, obviously, providing the best HD PQ of any satellite provider as well for the HD channels offered) is a MUCH better use of bandwidth than any channels which only a small portion of Voom subs can legally receive.

Providing ten gazillion local channels over their birds is what truly tanked PQ for E* and D*. A process which will only get worse as they try to provide HD locals via satellite (an idea so stupid, it truly boggles the mind).

Local and regional content should be broadcast over the air, via antenna. You should be agitating for your local Fox station to improve its broadcast coverage -- not agitating for Voom to do Fox's job for it.

So, for each Voom viewer to add ONE channel to their lineup, Voom would have to dedicate the bandwidth for SEVENTEEN channels.
The ratio of SD to HD is more like 3 to one. Dish puts up 3 HD/transponder or 12 SD/transponder.

"So, cancel it -- there are 17 regional Fox Sports Net channels. So, for each Voom viewer to add ONE channel to their lineup, Voom would have to dedicate the bandwidth for SEVENTEEN channels."

Then just add the Major market channels. New York and California are HUGE markets and VOOM already has Fox Sports Florida in their lineup. Why does Florida get their regional Fox Sports but no one else does? I am not the only one on the board who wants Fox Sports added. Sounds to me like you aren't a sports fan but millions of others are. Considering the Angels play 81 games at home which are mostly broadcast by FSW, that's half the season I can't watch, yet if I lived in Florida, a smaller market, I could watch all Marlins or Devil Rays games, not sure which one they broadacast, I wanted too.

AxE said:
Why would you jump ship from E*. They have much better PQ and are less expensive than VOOM. (see post on page 4).

Based on your expert credentials as???

I recently made the switch but had both running for a while. In my experience, it was just the opposite, VOOM left E* in the dust. And yes, E* prices are better until you start looking beyond AT60 with its 20+ shopping and public interest channels. Start tacking on all the fees like $10/month for 4 HD channels and the price advantage quickly vaporizes.

AxE said:
Well all that aside from a retailer......VOOM go bye bye.

You have already told us that you are a disgruntled ex Voom vendor who did not get your commission fast enough. Now please stop wasting bandwidth and go watch your shopping channels on E*.

I, too, am leaving in the fall if Voom doesn't add FSW by then. "Luckily," I didn't miss any LA Kings game since there wasn't a season, but I don't want to miss next season. (Should there be one. :() Also, it's been tough missing Lakers game, considering that I'd have a lot of get togethers with friends to watch them on my 60" widescreen. No FSW, then it's Directv in the fall for me. :(

I have to agree with the posters that FOX sports need precedence over all other channels right now.... I dont need/want lifetime and all the channels added today. I do want/need my FSSW.

Well I just got off the phone with VOOM and he had a list of 15 channels they know for sure will be adding and FSW was NOT on the list. Stupid channels like Military and BBC and like 5 discoveries are on there and DIY and Fox movie channel and WGN are all I can remember. WGN is a start Sports wise. He told me that by the middle of next month there is a good chance FSW will be added as he said the Fox Sports channels are one of the top requested channels. I will just have to wait and hope they add FSW. When I asked him why VOOM wouldn't add the top requested channels first he told me he didn't have an answer for that. If you want the complete list just call them and they will tell you. WGN stood out for me but maybe others will love the new channels. Again they will be adding 15 channels within a week or so he said.

jagouar said:
I have to agree with the posters that FOX sports need precedence over all other channels right now.... I dont need/want lifetime and all the channels added today. I do want/need my FSSW.
Listen up people, espically those of you who want FSN neworks. Less than 2 months ago we were flooded with the "wife effect". What is that you might ask? It means the men could not have VOOM unless the wife received her lifetime, and for some men's wives they also had to have lifetime movie network as well. Well VOOM has added lifetime, WELL DONE VOOM. And now the wife factor is over and the guys have stopped complaining.

Now here you guys come in with FSN. I undestand that your guys and you've got to have your sports. I agree with you. However though, VOOM is in a transition period and VOOM can not commit to something that it can not deliver. VOOM needs to get everything off of Rainbow1 and onto AMC6 also dubbed Rainbow2. Once they do that they will have the space in order to add all of the RSN. Now for the person who was bitching about FSN Florida. Look Flordia is VOOM country. I believe that is the only reason why flordia was added, plus at the time I believe that Cablevision had a stake in the channel as well.
Just hang in their guys, it's coming...

^^^^^ As from my above post FSW is not coming this month. Next month hopefully it will. I have already missed half the Laker season and with the Angels opening game April 5th. Voom has a month to add it. The CSR told me to at least wait for the end of April before I make any decisions. He told me they will have over 300 by years end. Honestly, how many more people are gonna watch the Military channel over Fox Sports?? The CSR told me Fox Sports was one of the TOP requested channels. I am willing to be patient but for only so long.

freezetime said:
^^^^^ As from my above post FSW is not coming this month. Next month hopefully it will. I have already missed half the Laker season and with the Angels opening game April 5th. Voom has a month to add it. The CSR told me to at least wait for the end of April before I make any decisions. He told me they will have over 300 by years end. Honestly, how many more people are gonna watch the Military channel over Fox Sports?? The CSR told me Fox Sports was one of the TOP requested channels. I am willing to be patient but for only so long.
How long have you been a VOOM customer, and what were you told that convienced you to signup?

danielle_s said:
How long have you been a VOOM customer, and what were you told that convienced you to signup?

Um, I signed up when they had the free installation, 2 months free and no commitment promo. I think either August or September of 04. I signed up cuz they had a really good promo deal going on and I wanted to make use of my HDTV and only had like 13 cable channels and had to pay $10 a month for 4 of them.. I have had like 6 installers come out to my apartment to fix stuff and I can't even go into how stupid the installations INC company is. I had a problem with one of the installers and everytime something went wrong with my Voom, I would always request that he not come out but no matter what he would always call before hand to comfirm it. So I had to call up installs inc everytime to make sure he would not come out. VOOM's been very good at crediting me and keeping me happy through all their "growing pains" so I have been patient with the lack of soem of my fav channels. When I see them adding channels like the Military channel and BBC over top requested Fox Sports, I get worried that the company is having trouble getting FSW. Like I mentioned before, baseball is starting up in April and I don't know how much longer I can go without having Fox Sports West. I like being part of the future in VOOM but I can't afford BOTH VOOM and cable.

^^^^^^^^Um, I signed up when they had the free installation, 2 months free and no commitment promo. I think either August or September of 04. I signed up cuz they had a really good promo deal going on and I wanted to make use of my HDTV and only had like 13 cable channels and had to pay $10 a month for 4 of them.. I have had like 6 installers come out to my apartment to fix stuff and I can't even go into how stupid the installations INC company is. I had a problem with one of the installers and everytime something went wrong with my Voom, I would always request that he not come out but no matter what he would always call before hand to comfirm it. So I had to call up installs inc everytime to make sure he would not come out. VOOM's been very good at crediting me and keeping me happy through all their "growing pains" so I have been patient with the lack of soem of my fav channels. When I see them adding channels like the Military channel and BBC over top requested Fox Sports, I get worried that the company is having trouble getting FSW. Like I mentioned before, baseball is starting up in April and I don't know how much longer I can go without having Fox Sports West. I like being part of the future in VOOM but I can't afford BOTH VOOM and cable.

Channels

Voom Add G4TechTv

Add Multiplex Pay Per View in HD like Dish Has, but 5 channels

Provide all Networks In Hd over Satellite , Eastern Feed Ok

Add Hustler HD for all adult subscriber in addition to Playboy and watch Subscriber Base grow.

Add Wealth Tv, Lifestyles of Rich and Famous in HD, Yeah

calikarim said:
Voom Add G4TechTv

Add Multiplex Pay Per View in HD like Dish Has, but 5 channels

Provide all Networks In Hd over Satellite , Eastern Feed Ok

Add Hustler HD for all adult subscriber in addition to Playboy and watch Subscriber Base grow.

Add Wealth Tv, Lifestyles of Rich and Famous in HD, Yeah
Give us a Break: Same OLE, Same OLE

danielle_s said:
Listen up people, espically those of you who want FSN neworks. Less than 2 months ago we were flooded with the "wife effect". What is that you might ask? It means the men could not have VOOM unless the wife received her lifetime, and for some men's wives they also had to have lifetime movie network as well. Well VOOM has added lifetime, WELL DONE VOOM. And now the wife factor is over and the guys have stopped complaining.

Now here you guys come in with FSN. I undestand that your guys and you've got to have your sports. I agree with you. However though, VOOM is in a transition period and VOOM can not commit to something that it can not deliver. VOOM needs to get everything off of Rainbow1 and onto AMC6 also dubbed Rainbow2. Once they do that they will have the space in order to add all of the RSN. Now for the person who was bitching about FSN Florida. Look Flordia is VOOM country. I believe that is the only reason why flordia was added, plus at the time I believe that Cablevision had a stake in the channel as well.
Just hang in their guys, it's coming...

Iam a sports fanatic also and want FSN too....I would be in heaven if Voom down the road could get something like what D* tv has, NFL SUNDAY TICKET. yeahhhh baby!!!!!!!!!!!....Now that would make me really happy.

Confusing though

Freezetime,

This has always confused me (call me stupid). I live in Rochester, NY and for the life of me still cannot figure out what my "home" team is for Fox Sports? Everything was always blacked out....

Also, the Miami Heat games are not blacked out (not that I care, I hate basketball)...but will that mean if they add the other Fox Sports channels those games will be on too?

texansgal8 said:
Iam a sports fanatic also and want FSN too....I would be in heaven if Voom down the road could get something like what D* tv has, NFL SUNDAY TICKET. yeahhhh baby!!!!!!!!!!!....Now that would make me really happy.
Very good Didn't DTV just sign a 3 yr contract?, and sell's the same service to Canada for 50% less then the US> Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts