Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT

SatelliteGuys has obtained a copy of a letter which will be sent to DirecTV customers regarding Versus.

Dear DIRECTV Customer:

We want you to know we're doing everything we can to keep your favorite sports programming on DIRECTV, but we've simply reached an impasse with Comcast over the fees they are charging us to carry the Versus channel. DIRECTV offered to continue carrying Versus through the end of September while we negotiate, but Comcast declined so we were forced to take the channel down.

Comcast is the biggest cable company in the United States, and they regularly try to charge us amounts well in excess of what is fair and reasonable for the programming they own. Their purpose is obvious---to inhibit competition. In fact, in Philadelphia, they have refused to allow us to even carry their regional sports network, and the resulting adverse effect on competition is apparent.

Contrary to what Comcast and Versus have been saying publicly, this is about them trying to impose an outrageous price increase. DIRECTV was already paying Versus more than any other non-Comcast distributor to carry the channel and now they are asking for an additional 20% increase on top of that. All we are asking for is to pay a fair price that is comparable to other independent distributors and package the service in a manner that reflects the value of the programming.

DIRECTV has negotiated hundreds of programming contracts like this one over the years and has always been able to negotiate a fair deal that was equitable for both sides. We’re sorry that Versus’ stubbornness is keeping fans from seeing the sports they love, but we have to think about the overall long term economic effect on our customers. We deeply care about our subscribers and DIRECTV has worked very hard over the years to provide more sports programming to our customers than any other TV distributor.

Please know that we will continue to work hard to reach an appropriate agreement with Comcast. We don’t like to disappoint our customers, particularly people who are passionate about their sports, as you are. Sometimes, though, you have to take a stand against a bully, even in business.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Derek Chang
Executive Vice President, Content Strategy and Development
DIRECTV, Inc.

SatelliteGuys has obtained a copy of a letter which will be sent to DirecTV customers regarding Versus.

Wow..Looks like a line has been drawn in the sand..
From the outside looking in, I do not see any incentive for Comcast to negotitate. Why allow a competitor access to a service that one owns?
As long as there is no violation of law or regulation, where's Comcast's interest in allowing D* to have a negotiating position?
Either D* caves or D*'s subs will do without Versus.
IMO.

I think we'll just have to wait for the Nielsens to see if boycotting D* will have any effect on Versus' viewers. Since the impact wouldn't be felt at least until the first few months of the hockey season, I would be surprised to see any movement before November 1, if then. It may very well be a repeat of the battle between Comcast and E*, when Versus went dark on Dish Network until the playoffs.

From the outside looking in, I do not see any incentive for Comcast to negotitate. Why allow a competitor access to a service that one owns?
As long as there is no violation of law or regulation, where's Comcast's interest in allowing D* to have a negotiating position?
IMO.

It all depends how many of the Verses subs are from Directv. There could be a huge impact on their advertising dollars earned by not having the view ship that the advertisers want.

It all depends how many of the Verses subs are from Directv. There could be a huge impact on their advertising dollars earned by not having the view ship that the advertisers want.

Approx 14 of the 75 million Versus subs are from DirecTV according to some of the pressers and associated articles.

I just found out about this today and am extremely unhappy about it. My college football team (U of Arizona) is playing away tomorrow and VS is the broadcaster. I've already contacted my rep at the University to see what can be done to insure VS no longer gets the right to carry our games... If not for this this year, then perhaps next.

Very frustrating... Guess its good for the local radio broadcast though. I like them alot more the the goofballs on VS anyway.

I just found out about this today and am extremely unhappy about it. My college football team (U of Arizona) is playing away tomorrow and VS is the broadcaster. I've already contacted my rep at the University to see what can be done to insure VS no longer gets the right to carry our games... If not for this this year, then perhaps next.

Very frustrating... Guess its good for the local radio broadcast though. I like them alot more the the goofballs on VS anyway.

Yah, I am a little pissed myself. Arent' you playing OSU? I am in the same boat as you....can't watch my team!

IMO.

And when Dish's contract expires with Versus I can predict Versus will not be on Dish either if Comcast asked for the same thing they want from DirecTV.

And when Dish's contract expires with Versus I can predict Versus will not be on Dish either if Comcast asked for the same thing they want from DirecTV.

That's a good point. If anyone can find out when the Dish/Vs contract expires, assuming worst case that the DTV/Vs issue isn't settled by then, at least that would tell us a lot of things....who was giving the straight info on the DTV/Vs story.

Uhhh I hope not as I have versus with Uverse, And Fios carry's it too. I really wish comcast would gett off of there butt's with the exclusive CLTV / tribune (chicago land tv) agreement they have. They just lanched in HD too (CLTVHD).

very possible..BUt there's one diff. Versus is available only on Dish's highest package, meaning Versus is alrwady beiong paid a higher per sub rate than on D*.

I sure hope they're not planning on mailing this to every subscriber. For starters it says absolutely nothing that I haven't read over and over again.

Secondly, it will cost them millions of dollars in postage alone. What a waste.

I sure hope they're not planning on mailing this to every subscriber. For starters it says absolutely nothing that I haven't read over and over again.

Hey, it helps the Postal Service! They are really hurting right now.

Chances are they have a good number of them subs with email, they could contact them that way, while those that still use paper billing will probably have the info in thier bill.

At least that would make sense.

There are Comcast commercials running all over our local radio stations telling listeners that the "Leader in Sports Programming" dropped one of the most "popular" sports channels. If you want to see Hockey and collegiate sports call Comcast, because you will not be able to see them DirecTV.

It sounds like a war to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)