OPENBOX S9 HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I quated this from a differant forum. Is anyone aware of this? Can other dealers get this also?

OpenBoxS9.us PVR Utilities Suite Contains the OpenBox S9 PVR Tool, an OpenBoxS9.us exclusive and the only utility that can easily convert OpenBox S9 recordings to computer watchable format. SUPPORTS WATCHING OF 4:2:2 STREAMS RECORDED ON OPENBOX. Utility suite also includes codecs if needed and transcoding software to convert your OpenBox recordings into nearly any format. Available FREE to OpenBoxS9.xx customers only.

Does it work? They say it will convert in seconds.

Just curious but if the openbox can't decode/view the 4:2:2 feed, how would you know you want to record it?

Steps are

1. Tune
2. Demux
3. Decode or record

To record something you don't need to decode it. As long as the box can tune it ( it think it does dvb-s and dvb-s2 ) and Demux it (ie it's in dvb cause that's all it knows) then recording it is simple, real simple.

mr3p: Well... you know what you want to record because in forums there are people who report feeds with receivers that can do 4:2:2, so you can record it and view it later on your OpenBox S9, or record 4:2:2 feeds off ABC at 99°W where you know at what hour a show is scheduled to air and its duration.

I quated this from a differant forum. Is anyone aware of this? Can other dealers get this also?

OpenBoxS9.us PVR Utilities Suite Contains the OpenBox S9 PVR Tool, an OpenBoxS9.us exclusive and the only utility that can easily convert OpenBox S9 recordings to computer watchable format. SUPPORTS WATCHING OF 4:2:2 STREAMS RECORDED ON OPENBOX. Utility suite also includes codecs if needed and transcoding software to convert your OpenBox recordings into nearly any format. Available FREE to OpenBoxS9.xx customers only.

Yup, the tool they have for their customers allows them (us) to easily achieve exactly that without the need of looking for codecs, media players, and other things (not everybody is computer savvy in terms of knowing about different media players and such), i think they even have a tool for converting for free your DVR'd content to a number of formats without the need to go on the look for a audio/video converter.

He (and people on his forum) have been actively testing the receiver with constant communication with the developers (working on the green tint issue for people without HDMI televisions and the new and better remote control)... so... the previous mentioned tool is a product of that; it talks bunches about the seller's seriousness (i've seen other dealers for this box that have no regards for their customers, going as far as lying on what can and can't do) which along with the price makes it a pretty good choice.

=)

Seems I read here or somewhere there would be a newer version of the openbox coming out that had the un-needed EU connectors removed as well as some other slim lining, at perhaps a slightly better price. Anyone else see what I saw in Arkansas?

Jim

I'm not sure understand the usage of the utility. Are you saying that you take 4:2:2 content on a USB hard drive to the PC, plug in the USB hard drive, run openbox software to convert file, take USB hard drive back to Openbox and it will now play file? I honestly am considering an openbox s9 over a second azbox although the lack of support for 4:2:2 is still a consideration. Its great that they are working on tools to give the openbox pseudo 4:2:2 support so perhaps they can add this utility function into the firmware and skip the entire process of going to the PC altogether. Aside from the inability to view 4:2:2 feeds (in real time), the openbox s9 is price is very attractive.

mr3p: Well... you know what you want to record because in forums there are people who report feeds with receivers that can do 4:2:2, so you can record it and view it later on your OpenBox S9, or record 4:2:2 feeds off ABC at 99°W where you know at what hour a show is scheduled to air and its duration.

Yup, the tool they have for their customers allows them (us) to easily achieve exactly that without the need of looking for codecs, media players, and other things (not everybody is computer savvy in terms of knowing about different media players and such), i think they even have a tool for converting for free your DVR'd content to a number of formats without the need to go on the look for a audio/video converter.

He (and people on his forum) have been actively testing the receiver with constant communication with the developers (working on the green tint issue for people without HDMI televisions and the new and better remote control)... so... the previous mentioned tool is a product of that; it talks bunches about the seller's seriousness (i've seen other dealers for this box that have no regards for their customers, going as far as lying on what can and can't do) which along with the price makes it a pretty good choice.

=)

Are the developers opensrc'ing the code or keeping it private ? imo if they would opensrc the code it would be worth while, it appears from screen shots to be running an enigma derivative which is already opensrc.

if they want to keep it closed (who knows why) I wouldnt bother, just another get rich quick box like so many other asian box's

Maybe the reason for a closed lid on the code is to control any possible attempt of any illegal non FTA code getting into this receiver.To many other receivers got discredited this way.

you could also burn the receiver or blow it up, thats a good way to prevent any illegal code getting in the receiver.

we're off track though. back to 4:2:2 discussions :)

stanleyjohn said:
Maybe the reason for a closed lid on the code is to control any possible attempt of any illegal non FTA code getting into this receiver.To many other receivers got discredited this way.

LOL!!!! The only reason that you have heard of the majority of brands is because the importing company chose to pay the manufacturer or a firmware designer for theft of service code to be developed or ported to the receivers.

The only interest that the majority of manufacturers and developers have is $$$. The investment in firmware development is only to sell hardware. Open source firmware does not protect the interest of the developer and guarantee sales of firmware specific hardware.

The firmware (other than the versions distributed by Sadoun) has always had card-sharing code in it. What do you think the ethernet port is for? I think the only reason you don't hear of it being used as a hacker box in North America is because it doesn't do turbo-psk.

The software to convert from their .dvr format to .ts has been posted here and other places several times (I posted it several times myself...) It comes from a clone called Ariva though, thanks for nothing Solomend/Openbox.

Converting from .ts to other formats isn't the responsibility of the box provider or distributor though. (Sorry, I'm old-school.) And you don't have to pay anybody for it. VLC will play or convert it on any modern computer platform, for free.

Thanks for the info gang!Thinking of doing another firmware update on the solomend now that i finally saved a backup copy of the satellite listings database!The last one done was the motor fix.Do those few changes on the remote commands work for the new remote only! or will it also work for the original remote.Any bugs with laterst firmware?

The software to convert from their .dvr format to .ts has been posted here and other places several times (I posted it several times myself...) It comes from a clone called Ariva though, thanks for nothing Solomend/Openbox.

Converting from .ts to other formats isn't the responsibility of the box provider or distributor though. (Sorry, I'm old-school.) And you don't have to pay anybody for it. VLC will play or convert it on any modern computer platform, for free.
I guess my computer is not a "modern computer platform"! I downloaded the VLC program and Have tried to use it, but my machine never gets started playing the file. I waited four hours before I rebooted to close the program.

Just for grins, the best I have is a Celeron Processor, 631 MHZ, 320 MB of ram. My High Speed intrernet conection (When it is up) is about .75 meg.!

And if anyone cares, my power is 92.5 volts 60 HZ modified square wave, or nominal 12.6 VDC.

Yes, way off the grid! And that brings me to ask the question about the OPENBOX, how stable is the power suppy, or -- can it operate with 12 VDC? I have had 2 STBs that do not like inverter output. One operates but buzzes one got hot and blew caps.

The specs show it has a wide range of input freq and voltage. So even if your 92vac has large overshoots it probably will run on it. I haven't seen a power pack pictured or mentioned so it probably will not work on direct 12v.

POWER
AC auto input range:100-240VAC 50/60Hz
Consumption (Standby): Max. 10W (<1 W)

Jim

Thanks for the info gang!Thinking of doing another firmware update on the solomend now that i finally saved a backup copy of the satellite listings database!The last one done was the motor fix.Do those few changes on the remote commands work for the new remote only! or will it also work for the original remote.Any bugs with laterst firmware?

If you have an old remote, the Zoom button doesn't zoom anymore, it brings up a satellite list. Very handy when you want to move your motor directly to a satellite, without having to wait for it to stop at every other satellite as you scroll by it on the channel list. (It still takes time to move, of course, but you don't have the jerky updating of the list, you can select the satellite you want directly and do something else while you're waiting rather than holding down the key, watching the list, and hoping you don't overshoot.)

I don't remember hearing about any other command changes. The added info screen (useless for most channels) should work with any version of the remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)