Openbox X3 first impressions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Openbox X3 first impressions (looks like motor power issues solved from S10...)

No too active on forums but long time experience in electronics, coll degree in electronics, ham radio, programming, 25 years + experience supervising electronics tech team for large corp...anyways

Openbox S10 was ok, had to replace power supply with external one to avoid reboot on HH motor moves. This avoided reboots but, design still had issues with power to LNB-motor (suspect current limit in H/V switching circuit...). Going way down west (lower than 118w) and trying to come back up on my 1.2M + sg6100 + modified bsc621 + scalar - would stall motor...this is oversized but worked on all the arc (approx 58w - 130w for me here) with many other receivers I have used/tried...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/277284-openbox-s10-problem.html

Openbox X3 seems to have resolved these power to LNB-motor issues. On first try, HH motor comes back up from looking at 118W and lower from Montreal, Canada on my oversized setup.

Software is nice, keypresses from remote make box react right away. Menus are nice. Havent checked many other features yet...the rest pretty much acts - reacts a lot like S10...blind scan looks oddly similar in speed and efficiency

For $70 shipped it looks ok for now...

Later

Here are some of the Openbox X3 features:

Dual-Core CPU, 396 MHz MIPS Processor
Support USB Wifi network, GPRS network;
Support CCcam, Newcamd, Mgcam, Avartacam etc;
Support Irdeto, Viacess, NDS CA card etc;
Fully compliant MPEG-4 H.264/AVC Main Profile Level 3 & High Profile
Level 4.1;
Fully compliant MPEG-2 MP@HL & MP@ML;
Fully compliant MPEG-1 Layer I & II & III, Dolby Digital Audio(AC3);
SCPC & MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellites;
Multiple LNB-Switching control
(upports DiSEqC1.0/1.1/unicable/1.2/1.3(USALS) supported)
NIT search supported;
Support MPEG-5;
Support HDMI 1.3;
Support PVR(store in USB disk);
Multimedia files playback(by USB);
Support Electronic Program Guide(EPG) for 7 days;
Teletext and subtitle out through OSD;
Support multi-lingual DVB subtitle and teletext;
Automatic and manual channel scan options;
Automatic service scan
Channel-change time < 1 second
OSD in many languages and skin-support
Multilingual support on screen menu (OSD): English, French, Deutsch,
Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Greece, Portuguese, Finland,
Holland, Turkish, Czech, selectable
LED Display
Multiple display mode: 1080p/1080i/720p/570p/576i/480p;
MPEG-2 / H.264 Hardware decoding
Videotext Decoder
Analog audio output: stereo(L+R);
Digital audio output: S/PDIF by coaxial and optical;
S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
YCbCr available;
1 x Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)
Screen format: auto, 4:3, and 16:9;
Upgrade software through USB2.0 port;
Powerful program management function, parent lock;
CA 1x slot
10/100Mbit Ethernet Interface
Directly bouquet-lists

Yojiatech chinese site has all the software you will ever need for the X3. They have a channel editor, lan tool, and manual for it. There is fw with an American TP list included. I have the skybox F3, which is the same internally as the X3. Haven't had any problems at all with the F3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my OpenBox X3 in early June from Yojia Tech, and after 5 weeks of testing am loving it. It was delivered via DHL in 5 days after my order. Thanks to some great assistance from K4est and Squid385 & others, I now have 18 C & KU Band Satellites Scanned in on the X3 Rx using my 12 foot Mesh Dish. Blind Scan - that is "Accurate Scan" is Best and is fast. Only problem I see so far is it defaults to 50 Hz Mode after a Software Upgrade, - you need to hook it up to a Digital Monitor to get it back to 60 Hz Mode, or else you can't get a picture on a Big Screen TV, and there are some slow Lip Sync problems. So far a great mini HD Receiver, HD Channels are crystal clear, and the X3 is well worth the under $100.00 including shipping price.

The latest software for the X3/Q3 is up in the downloads. I don't think it will help us much here in NA though. If someone wants to try it though and see if you notice anything different or improved, go right ahead.

Got my OpenBox X3 in early June from Yojia Tech, and after 5 weeks of testing am loving it. It was delivered via DHL in 5 days after my order. Thanks to some great assistance from K4est and Squid385 & others, I now have 18 C & KU Band Satellites Scanned in on the X3 Rx using my 12 foot Mesh Dish. Blind Scan - that is "Accurate Scan" is Best and is fast. Only problem I see so far is it defaults to 50 Hz Mode after a Software Upgrade, - you need to hook it up to a Digital Monitor to get it back to 60 Hz Mode, or else you can't get a picture on a Big Screen TV, and there are some slow Lip Sync problems. So far a great mini HD Receiver, HD Channels are crystal clear, and the X3 is well worth the under $100.00 including shipping price.

Hi There- This question is for actually everyone on this thread. I am considering this receiver for a new set up for sat 110, 118, 119 and 129 (in Toronto, Canada) and I am wondering if this receiver will get me all the hd channels? Reading some of the posts above it seems that it does but there isn't a 8psk module built in. If there is a module available that one could install after purchase? And if so, which one would that be? I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts