osmio4k won't boot

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I just did a software update on OpenPli and now my box won't boot. I can' even get a boot menu to try to boot to a different image. I can't telnet into the box either. All I get is an Edision splash screen. Doesn't anything work RELIABLY? I had other issues before this happened - like losing 113W and 117W and the video was all messed up on 105W even though I had 10.8 dB C/N on Cozi and Publimax (minimum required is 7.9 dB). I was going to attempt a dish alignment last night just before sunset and before I could start 113W and 117W suddenly disappeared - the services on all other programmed sats were still present.

Yes, you certainly have had a knack for problems finding you.... Fortunately, history shows that these mistakes have been easily corrected. I understand that you like to toss stuff out there and see what sticks to the wall, so here we go...

How was the OpenPLI image updated Online/ USB? What slot was OpenPLi image installed in and provide the steps you performed to upgrade and to what release version?

A splash screen indicates a working bootstrap, but no image is loading. This would point to a failed update. Telnet is possible once an image is loaded. No IP address is established until OS loads.

Tried repeatedly pressing the RCU Menu button while repowering the STB?

Have you attempted to install a new image in slot 1 via USB (i.e. change text file name from "noforce" to "force")?

Reactions: primestar31
I got it fixed. Not only was this yet another problem to fix, but I've mentioned that the remote control doesn't work properly but no seems to care. Pressing the arrow button once and having it move through the menu entries 3 or 4 times before stopping isn't normal. Also, I had done backups with the backup suite but it seems the backups aren't labeled as to which file goes with which image. When I did find a backup to restore, I got cryptic messages as to why the restore failed to work. Frustrated, simply frustrated. It's not just the osmio4k, it's electronics in general. I'll keep plugging along because nothing is going to get fixed 100%.

Here is an idea... Let's make this a learning thread...

How did you resolve the OpenPLi update problem?

As far as the remote skipping multiple items... I recall a previous thread that WebIf was in use or open and that it didn't happen when WebIF was not active? Additional info available?

Backup labeling: Why not save / sort backups into named image folders? I make a back-up onto a dedicated USB drive for the specific image.

Here is an idea... Let's make this a learning thread...

How did you resolve the OpenPLi update problem?

I installed a usb stick with an osmio4k directory and rebooted and reinstalled tnap.

As far as the remote skipping multiple items... I recall a previous thread that WebIf was in use or open and that it didn't happen when WebIF was not active? Additional info available?

I didn't close WebIF so maybe that was the problem. I'll have to check into that. If that's the cause then it has been a long standing issue that never got fixed.

As for the 113W and 117W issue, I have no idea what caused that. Since I'm manually restoring the satellites, it'll be a while before I get back to you on that. Maybe re-installing the image fixed it? Really strange to have 10 dB C/N and then suddenly lose all the services on those 2 sats but not the others. Panning the dish with the actuator couldn't find those services.

Opening WebIF application places the STB into remote control operation. Operating the local RCU while also operating WebIF will create conflict. This is not and never been considered an open issue. Possibly, I did not state this explicitly in the last thread. As we have discussed in past threads, leaving the WebIF open on a 3rd party device will affect local operation.

Carrier and Signal to Noise ratios are only a part of the decoding and display process. Without proper diagnostic tools, one is left to guess and eliminate variables.

I had a similar problem with openpli software update a couple of days ago
openpli was installed on slot 2, after the update and reboot it got stuck on the openpli boot logo
it was like someone had pushed the pause button and it froze there
the remote was useless, nothing I tried would work
so I downloaded the openpli image (openpli-7.3-release-osmio4kplus-20200715_multiboot.zip)
and put it on a flash drive, I tried to use the usb slot (tried back and side) to load it into the mio
nothing would work?
So I put the TNAP 3.2 on the flash and it took the first try (usb.zip version) and it loaded straight to slot 1
I think the TNAP must be the only image I had without a backup made (now I have one)
So, I had to reprogram the whole image from scratch, but at least the other 3 images were still there
including the openpli image, which I was afraid to try and boot to?
So, I used ftp and put #openvision-unoffical-osmio4kplus_multiboot_ofgwrite.zip into folder #downloaded_images, then used the remote and went into the Flash folder and loaded openvision onto slot 2, and it's working just fine

I don't use WebIF, so it had nothing to do with my problem
apparently it was just a bad update?
But, ALL is WELL now!!!!!!

This is enough venting for now, time to sit back and enjoy this mio, until the next time I break it
Only time will tell when.......?

Al

Edit:
above in red, I changed telnet to ftp
I didn't use telnet to import the image, I used ftp

Last edited:
RunnIng WebIF has nothing to do with a failed OpenPLI update. Was addressing Johnnynobody's comment regarding sluggish local RCU key response while he is also running WebIF (remote operation) on a 3rd party device. Sorry for the misunderstanding as this thread is covering several issues and replies may appear to be word salads...

Sounds like OpenPLI may have had a bad build release. I rarely update any image. If it aint broke...

I had the same issue as well. Was a bad update on their server I’d imagine. I did a full reinstall off of USB and then an auto-restore on boot up. I am running OpenPli 7.2 and then did a online update to the new 7.3 version and all is working well now.

I just did a software update on OpenPli and now my box won't boot. I can' even get a boot menu to try to boot to a different image. I can't telnet into the box either. All I get is an Edision splash screen. Doesn't anything work RELIABLY? I had other issues before this happened - like losing 113W and 117W and the video was all messed up on 105W even though I had 10.8 dB C/N on Cozi and Publimax (minimum required is 7.9 dB). I was going to attempt a dish alignment last night just before sunset and before I could start 113W and 117W suddenly disappeared - the services on all other programmed sats were still present.
OpenPli 7.3 release is now in the feeds so if you were running 7.2 release you can't run a sftware update.Old drivers and kernel.The drivers and such will clash. You will have to flash the 7.3 release to upgrade. TNAP 3.2 Is openPLi based and has all the up to date drivers and such so I haven't tested OpenPLi 7.3 release .

Reactions: Titanium
Back to "reliably works", I got 113W (except for 4040V) and 117W back but lost a couple of services on 97W (i.e. Bounce and Laff) and now the ABC feeds (@12.3 dB C/N) came back on 99W. I didn't make any dish adjustments so go figure. I just can't rely on this stuff to work and I spend way too much time keeping this stuff and computers working. Not to mention that I've never been able to get the actuators to land at the same point on either antenna - I'm constantly re-peaking the dish everyday. I don't know if replacing the reed switches with some kind of opto-isolated pulse counting device would help.

OpenPli 7.3 release is now in the feeds so if you were running 7.2 release you can't run a sftware update.Old drivers and kernel.The drivers and such will clash. You will have to flash the 7.3 release to upgrade. TNAP 3.2 Is openPLi based and has all the up to date drivers and such so I haven't tested OpenPLi 7.3 release .

I already had OpenPLi 7.3 installed before doing the software update.

So do I have to uninstall and re-install drivers like the ones for the 955q?

I need to research on doing full backups because my backups using the backup suite plugin hasn't worked out well for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)