OTA adapter on the Edision OS MIO 4K

Thought I would ask some OTA related questions here instead of starting a new thread.

I am quite a novice. I read this whole thread, but don't understand a lot of it nor the terminology mentioned. Hopfully this will improve. :)

I ordered a Edision OS MIO today. I want to have over the air channel capability.

From what Brian told me, currently only the Hauppauge USB ATSC OTA tuner model 955Q is compatable for the MIO. I want to order it so I will have it when the receiver arrives.

Is the software preloaded to use this tuner?

Do I have to use the proprietary remote that come with the 955Q ?

Is there anything else I should purchase or need to know?

Also can anyone recommend a good outdoor HD antenna?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thought I would ask some OTA related questions here instead of starting a new thread.

I am quite a novice. I read this whole thread, but don't understand a lot of it nor the terminology mentioned. Hopfully this will improve. :)

I ordered a Edision OS MIO today. I want to have over the air channel capability.

From what Brian told me, currently only the Hauppauge USB ATSC OTA tuner model 955Q is compatable for the MIO. I want to order it so I will have it when the receiver arrives.

The 950 worked on some firmwares but it'll be best to get the 955. You'll have to install the 955 driver because it's not preloaded. Easy-peezy. You won't need the remote that comes with the 955. I just got a Winegard HD8200U outside antenna (yagi) from Amazon but I haven't installed it yet but I think it'll get the job done. It'll probably work better than my hail damaged yagi.

The 950 worked on some firmwares but it'll be best to get the 955. You'll have to install the 955 driver because it's not preloaded. Easy-peezy. You won't need the remote that comes with the 955. I just got a Winegard HD8200U outside antenna (yagi) from Amazon but I haven't installed it yet but I think it'll get the job done. It'll probably work better than my hail damaged yagi.

What I needed to know! Thank You.

Might save a few bucks if you get the Xbox One tuner model 1578. It's the same as 955Q but does not come with the little remote and av cable that you wont need.

Reactions: k.r. and Doorguru

About the antenna, it depends a lot on your location. Some people who are in or near major cities can get a lot of channels with a basic omni-directional antenna. Others might need something a bit stronger. I need amplified directional antennas on the roof. Some people need a tall tower to get anything, and some don't get anything at all. So it's very hard to give recommendations

Check out newark.com, they usually have specials that are really good (right now a 91-element UHF Yagi for $20 - I have it and it's good).

There are some websites that can help you assess your reception and give an indication as to what you need: antennaweb.org, DTV Reception Maps

Reactions: Doorguru
I wish I had known the Xbox one 1578 being compatible with the osmio4k. It would've saved me a few bucks. I might just buy one for my other osmio4k but it's the wife's box and she doesn't watch OTA. Good for a backup though.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I know little on this subject, but I have read the advantages/disadvantages of directional and omni-directional antennas. I am considering an omni-directional antenna to avoid having to use a rotor, due to convenience and cost. Probably a tough question to answer, but based on the map showing the channel locations, would this be feasible or should I go with a directional antenna? Maybe it's possible to point the directional antenna south east to get the moderate channels and still receive the channels east of me (?) or it may be something I will have to find out the hard way. Maybe dual directional antennas?? Any thoughts?

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
If it was my installation, I would use a directional antenna. It's a hassle having to move the antenna but it would give you the best performance. You could get a networked antenna controller to make moving the antenna more convenient but it won't be cheap.

Just like Johnny says.
A directional antenna will pull in the distant ones. But they also have side lobes. Means that a yagi doesn't 'see' only in front.
Looking at your map and comparing a beamwidth spec. page you can pretty much see that indeed it's possible to get signal out on the sides of where you're pointed w/o having to turn the antenna. Please take the generic attachment very lightly. The more elements a yagi has, the more directional it is.
antenna.jpg

*WPEC, WPTV, and WFGC are VHF High which complicates matters*

Not knowing the signal strength/distance on those yellow UHF stations... But, I doubt an omni antenna would receive them.

A multi-directional antenna similar to a DB4e (4 bowtie , UHF) should get all your green channels except possibly WPEC and WPTV. But they look strong enough to receive as well. That's with it facing NE-E. Some adjusting needed to find the sweet spot, of course.

Then point a 91XG (or similar) toward those stations to the SE. Use an A/B antenna switch to change between antennas. No rotor or rotor cable needed. You probably will not receive WFGC though. So decide if the programming on WFGC is important to you.

The 91XG needs to be mounted outdoors. The DB4 MIGHT be ok in an attic, but better outside as well.

You might experiment with only the DB4 first just to see what results you get before adding the 91XG later if desired.

Just my 2 coppers worth. Good Luck!

I know little on this subject, but I have read the advantages/disadvantages of directional and omni-directional antennas. I am considering an omni-directional antenna to avoid having to use a rotor, due to convenience and cost. Probably a tough question to answer, but based on the map showing the channel locations, would this be feasible or should I go with a directional antenna? Maybe it's possible to point the directional antenna south east to get the moderate channels and still receive the channels east of me (?) or it may be something I will have to find out the hard way. Maybe dual directional antennas?? Any thoughts?

View attachment 142705
From that picture you are living were I was born and lived 50 years. Anyway, been gone 11 years, but I had to choose between Channel 5 or 12, could not get both. All others were fine.

Thanks for the info guys! I ordered the 1578 tuner and will decide on the antenna configurations mentioned. I hope my old mast is lying out in the yard, but I might have chopped it up and threw it away years ago before the digital conversion thinking "I'll never need this.. I got satellite!" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info guys! I ordered the 1578 tuner and will decide on the antenna configurations mentioned. I hope my old mast is lying out in the yard, but I might have chopped it up and threw it away years ago before the digital conversion thinking "I'll never need this.. I got satellite!" :rolleyes:

10ft Chainlink fence "Top Rail" posts are 1-3/8" and make great tv antenna mast pipes. They are swaged also, so you can fit multiples together for taller height. Just be aware that every 10ft needs to be supported. The first 10ft can use brackets at your eves. Every 10' above that can use guy wires and turnbuckles. You only need 3 guy wires in a tripod style arrangement. You then tension them tight around with the turnbuckles.

Good idea
10ft Chainlink fence "Top Rail" posts are 1-3/8" and make great tv antenna mast pipes. They are swaged also, so you can fit multiples together for taller height. Just be aware that every 10ft needs to be supported. The first 10ft can use brackets at your eves. Every 10' above that can use guy wires and turnbuckles. You only need 3 guy wires in a tripod style arrangement. You then tension them tight around with the turnbuckles.
Good idea for the mast source. Thanks! My old mast was 30 feet and telescopic, very easy to lower for hurricanes. I used black #12 electrical wire for the guy wires.

Just an update..

I'm still deciding on an outdoor antenna, but in the meantime, I found an old indoor antenna in the garage and tried it.. Receiving 18 channels.. all the local ones, all viewable. I was quite surprised! My only complaint, they are out of order..

20200111_224120.jpg

20200111_224055.jpg

20200111_224115.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)