PQ has improved it seems or did it?

I don't know what you guys are seeing, but I've been watching VOOM for 3 hours tonight and I saw a significant improvement in PQ! What bothered me most over the past couple of weeks, was constant pixelation and washed-out colors on most of HD channels, especially on Cinema-10. Something that looked like an over-compressed signal to me. Tonight - a completely different story. I've been watching Discovery HD, Cinema-10, Epics, and other VOOM exclusive channels without being distracted by those compression artifacts all the time. I only noticed pixelation on HBOHW during thunderstorm scenes in Basic and on Bravo HD+ during the Varekai commercial (this commercial seems to be always pixelized). I'll be watching more VOOM tomorrow, but so far, I like what I see!

GeneWildershair said:
But I do notice audio stutter on showtime hd west. Anyone else? I am happy that I no longer see micro stutters though. :)

I called them and reported the stuttering audio and breaking up video on Showtime HD West around 7:50 pm Eastern Time. The CSR checked and said the feed they were receiving was messed up and he would report it. A while later, I watched Novacane which was the next movie on. Through the first part of the movie there was a bunch of frame skips and video stutters and some audio dropouts. Towards the end of the movie all the problems went away. I don't know if this was a Showtime problem once Novacane came on or if it was a VOOM problem.

Many of the shows on discoveryHD often looked Soft to me on D*. They will appear the same on V*. Wait for Insectia or something like that to study the resolution of the picture and then compare. Beach resorts on V* looked great to me.

No one has jumped the gun. The picture quality has increased dramatically.
Anyone running their RG6 cables through surge protectors? Make sure they are Sat and UHF rated. Just had a friend that was gonna swap a box out over losing starz. When all it was a surge protector problem.

vurbano said:
Many of the shows on discoveryHD often looked Soft to me on D*. They will appear the same on V*. Wait for Insectia or something like that to study the resolution of the picture and then compare. Beach resorts on V* looked great to me.

No one has jumped the gun. The picture quality has increased dramatically.
Okey Dokey-if you say it so-it must be true-my mistake!

eschu97611 said:
Okey Dokey-if you say it so-it must be true-my mistake!
eschu, all I am saying is compare the same shows on the two systems for Petes sake. You know Insectia is very crisp on D*, use something like that.

Well, after the rain quieted down I stopped seeing pixelation. I also had a couple moments durring the worst when it locked up completely. I normally have a signal of 95+, but with the rain it was in the low 70's. Every time it hit 70 or below I lost the bird. Might have to look into a bigger dish.

-MP

PQ seems pretty good to me now

I have had Voom for a week now. The biggest problems with PQ I have noticed (over the last week) were the random stuttering of the picture on all channels and the HBO and Showtime HD West feeds pixelating more then other channels. From my viewing last night and this morning, I have not noticed the stuttering at all and almost all the channels have a nice PQ to me. Watching the movie 'Basic' on HBOHDW, I could still see noticeable pixilation. Not sure if it's the movie, or the west coast feed thing.

Since I am new to Voom, I can't compare the PQ back to the "good ole days" like most others here can. I have had OTA HD on my built-in digital tuner of my 65" Sony XBR for about a year now. The PQ (through my eyes at least) on Voom is "pretty close" to most of the OTA HD programming I have watched. Please note, my CBS-HD reception OTA is pretty spotty, so I don't get to see many sporting events there to compare to, which I understand are usually visually stunning.

Many of the SD stations are better PQ, Gross Point Blank on TBS last night looked pretty decent and the HD stations, some are better, some aren't but that might have more to do with the signal they are receiving.

Not a bad fix and I am sure they will continue to tweak it up and improve it.

I'm new to HD and have only had VOOM a week so my eyes aren't as trained as some of yours, but I have to say I thought Ice Age looked phenominal. I can't wait for Nemo on Saturday.

I went through every single channel:

DiscoveryHD was off air, all I got was a black screen, but it was available on Dish. (During Over BC was the only time I checked)

Most of the SD channels look pretty good but Bet, Travel and several others are still awfully soft looking. AMC and TMC look awesome.

A lot of SD channels still have the lines (sparklies?) that show up on reds.

On the HD channels, they were all solid for me, I can't evaluate the true PQ since I don't have my projector right now.

I agree some of the sd channels have those short lines/sparkles and the HD is solid I think. But ya know what? I was over Pops house the other day and saw sparkles on COx cable on a 36" sony flatscreen. Just not as pronounced but they are there.

Seems to me that the sparklies in the reds is oversaturation. A problem in either the tv or STB. Have not seen this myself since I used the big C-Band dish exclusively.

Like everybody else I did my test last night and noticed significant improvement over what I saw last week. I agree with the same observations made by others. For example, I got the impression that DHDT is still softer than what I remember it a couple of weeks ago.
Bottom line: I'm happy with the improvements but I hope it doesn't stop where it is now, instead I wish the y keep improving.
Does anybody know for sure that they will continue the improvement? or is what we have now the best we can expect? I don't remeber Wilt mentioning that they will continue working on PQ improvements now.

Walter L. said:
Does anybody know for sure that they will continue the improvement? or is what we have now the best we can expect? I don't remeber Wilt mentioning that they will continue working on PQ improvements now.
Posted less than an hour ago (?):

Update:
We think we've got the PQ thing nailed and will be making, if allowed to, some changes this afternoon before 5pm.
I'll let you know if anything changes that and/or when it's done.
Wilt

Edit: Ignore that! It looks like the above posting was actually sent yesterday, but it only arrived now... Strange YahooGroups !!!
Sorry for misleading you guys...

Walter L. said:
Like everybody else I did my test last night and noticed significant improvement over what I saw last week. I agree with the same observations made by others. For example, I got the impression that DHDT is still softer than what I remember it a couple of weeks ago.
Bottom line: I'm happy with the improvements but I hope it doesn't stop where it is now, instead I wish the y keep improving.

This is really strange to me. How can you guys say PQ has greatly improved? I have same source material on 2 different Satellite systems, (D*, and VOOM) and I can see that VOOM's is still softer than D*'s feed on HBOHD, and DHD! Both hooked up via component, and both properly calibrated for my tv. VOOM's feed was on par with D*'s a few weeks ago. I could then *NOT* tell a difference. Today I can see a difference, again VOOM's is softer. I'm really not trying to argue here, but the difference is clearly visible between VOOM, and D*.

Jay,
As I mentioned before, my observations are relative to the PQ I saw last week on VOOM (I don't have D* to compare). Now, I agree with you on the "softtness" of some of the channels and that's the reason I said I would like to see VOOM keep working on improvement. Like you I'm worry that they may call it done with PQ improvement.

GeneWildershair said:
This is really strange to me. How can you guys say PQ has greatly improved? I have same source material on 2 different Satellite systems, (D*, and VOOM) and I can see that VOOM's is still softer than D*'s feed on HBOHD, and DHD! Both hooked up via component, and both properly calibrated for my tv. VOOM's feed was on par with D*'s a few weeks ago. I could then *NOT* tell a difference. Today I can see a difference, again VOOM's is softer. I'm really not trying to argue here, but the difference is clearly visible between VOOM, and D*.
Softness is there-I have compared with D* as well-those who didn't have Voom when the pq was at its best don't have anything to compare it too, thus pq looks "great" to those subs.

I dont think it will return to its "best" until after Mpeg4. Its added too many HD channels for that I think. I would like to see it get sharper on a couple of channels, but overall this is dramatic improvement over Sunday and Monday's verions of voom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts