PS4 Owners Thread

Hey guys, I got my third referral last week so I'm expecting to get my new PS4 sometime around Christmas or soon after. What game or games do you suggest I should get first. I might ask to get a game for my Christmas present.

Reactions: king3pj
That depends on what kind of game you are in the mood for. Things are a bit different than they were a year ago. Now there are enough games for the new consoles that you can be a bit more picky about what you want to play. There aren't a ton of PS4 exclusives yet but you can probably get a pretty decent price on inFamous Second Son or Killzone at this point. I really liked inFamous but yourbeliefs and meStevo weren't as high on it as I was. Luckily the third party studios have started to step it up recently.

The very first thing I suggest you do is get a PS Plus subscription and start adding all the free games to your library every month. You can do that from the Sony web store before you actually have your PS4 here. That way you will have a decent selection of games from day one.

The PS4 game I have been going back to for the longest is still Diablo 3. It's one of the better bang for your buck games if you are into loot driven RPGs. It's not really the game to show off the power of your new PS4 though. It looks fine but it doesn't have that wow factor that some of the other games have.

If you are into RPGs with a little more visual flare Dragon Age: Inquisition came out today and got very positive reviews. This is another bang for your buck game. IGN's reviewer mentioned that he put 90 hours into his first playthrough.

If you are into shooters there are a lot more choices. Far Cry 4 came out today and I highly recommend at least checking out a video review. There is so much to do in the Far Cry games and I'm really looking forward to this one. Simple things like taking out an enemy outpost are fun because there are so many options for getting it done. You can lure a wild bear, tiger, etc into the camp to take the guards attention off you, you can take them out one by one with stealth and sabotage the alarms, you can set up outside the camp and pick them off 1 by 1 with a sniper rifle, you can cause a fire to trap them, you get the point.

In Far Cry 3 just about everything was fun to me. I never even finished the game because I spent so much time doing side missions and hunting animals to get the specific skins I needed to craft items. Exploring the world was fun enough that I didn't always feel the need to go to the next mission. Some of the animals are tough to take down and it can get pretty dangerous. The sharks in particular are pretty scary. I think Far Cry 4 would be a good place to start. The only reason I rented Dragon Age first is because I want to buy Far Cry 4 when it goes on sale and not have to worry about how long I keep it. Although, Dragon Age is huge enough that I might end up buying that before I finish it too.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is a good choice if you want a mix of campaign and solid multiplayer. Wolfenstein has a good campaign but no multiplayer. Then there is Destiny which could easily be the only game you play for months. It's got the solid shooting mechanics of a Halo game with the loot drive of Borderlands. Temporary events are always being added to give people a reason to stick with it.

The good part about waiting a year after a console is out is that you have lots of good choices now. There were months where I basically played everything that came out because there wasn't much available but we are past that now. I would watch the video reviews on IGN for some of the games I mentioned so you can see some gameplay in action and just pick what looks most appealing to you.

Edit: There is also GTA V if you didn't play it on PS3. That was a great game and the upgrades they did for PS4 look pretty awesome.

Hey guys, I got my third referral last week so I'm expecting to get my new PS4 sometime around Christmas or soon after. What game or games do you suggest I should get first. I might ask to get a game for my Christmas present.
It's sort of hard to recommend games simply because as King said there are so few exclusives. Nearly everything is multiplatform nowadays, and many other games are simply rereleases. Still, if you haven't played a bunch of games here's a few I would suggest.

Open World: Infamous: Second Son (If you can find it for <= $20), Saints Row 4: Re-Elected Edition, GTA V, AC: Unity (assuming they fix it)

FPS: Wolfenstein, CoD: AW

Other: Alien: Isolation (If you're big into Stealth Games)

And as King mentioned, get a PS+ membership because of all the free games, not to mention you can't play online without it.

I don't need it to be an exclusive. I'm just looking for a great game since I needed to get started with new ones. I didn't realize that I needed a Plus membership to play online which is a must.

Games I was thinking of starting with are CoD:AW and Madden 25. I don't need much to start with since I don't have much time at with the baby and all. I've always enjoyed the CoD franchise with their campaign and multi-player modes. I remember when it first came out Battlefield 4 was the game to get, is that any good yet?

I don't need it to be an exclusive. I'm just looking for a great game since I needed to get started with new ones. I didn't realize that I needed a Plus membership to play online which is a must.

Games I was thinking of starting with are CoD:AW and Madden 25. I don't need much to start with since I don't have much time at with the baby and all. I've always enjoyed the CoD franchise with their campaign and multi-player modes. I remember when it first came out Battlefield 4 was the game to get, is that any good yet?

I never had as many problems with Battlefield 4 as most of the reports would have you think there were. For the most part it worked for me. Certainly much better than Halo currently does.

If you are looking for a military shooter I would recommend Advanced Warfare instead though. It has a better campaign and the multiplayer community is thriving since it's brand new. BF4 is a year old now and I'm sure you will find plenty of people to play with but Battlefield Hardline is only a few months away so I would hold off unless you find a great deal. Of course, if you are interested in crazy 64 player matches with lots of hectic vehicle action that's something you can only get with Battlefield.

In addition to the various reviews and YouTube videos you can check out for games you might be interested in, you can also check out the Live from Playstation app, which allows you to watch live gameplay of certainly the games you mention in addition to many others. When I'm bored watching whatever sports are on TV, I'll fire up the app on my Vita to watch top Madden 15 players duke it out. Speaking of which, if you are interested in Madden, get 15 (this year's release) rather than 25. They made a lot more current gen enhancements in this year's release and there will be a lot more people playing online, if that's something you like to do (not to mention you'll have another year before EA shuts down the servers).

In addition to the various reviews and YouTube videos you can check out for games you might be interested in, you can also check out the Live from Playstation app, which allows you to watch live gameplay of certainly the games you mention in addition to many others. When I'm bored watching whatever sports are on TV, I'll fire up the app on my Vita to watch top Madden 15 players duke it out. Speaking of which, if you are interested in Madden, get 15 (this year's release) rather than 25. They made a lot more current gen enhancements in this year's release and there will be a lot more people playing online, if that's something you like to do (not to mention you'll have another year before EA shuts down the servers).

There is that or just Twitch in general. I think that's where all the live from Playstation stuff comes from anyways. Twitch lets you search by game and there are lots of live streams available for just about any game you can think of. You can also search by streamer and follow the ones you like. If you follow someone you get a notification every time they go live. You can watch twitch on computers, PS4, Xbox One, iPad, and I'm sure they have an android app.

I check it out from time to time. Traditional reviews can be helpful for a lot of reasons but I can usually get a better idea of whether I will like a game or not by seeing some gameplay footage. I usually go to IGN's video reviews because then I can see footage and hear the review read to me at the same time without worrying about too many story spoilers. If IGN doesn't have a video review then I turn to Twitch or youtube.

Question to all veteran PS4 users: Just got one for a present the other day, and bought a PS-Plus sub thru Amazon because it was less than going thru Sony. How do I get the PS4 to recognize this? If I go thru the Playstation Store it asks me to buy another subscription. Thanks for the help in advance!

Question to all veteran PS4 users: Just got one for a present the other day, and bought a PS-Plus sub thru Amazon because it was less than going thru Sony. How do I get the PS4 to recognize this? If I go thru the Playstation Store it asks me to buy another subscription. Thanks for the help in advance!
Did they give you a redemption code? You should just have to enter that.

Try looking here.

Last edited:

The Playstation store on the system is just bad. I am a long time PS Plus member and I know exactly what you are talking about. If you go to the PS Plus section on the console it shows you pricing info for buying a subscription instead of the available free games even if you already have an active subscription. It doesn't make a ton of sense.

What I do to avoid that mess is access the PSN store through their website instead of my console. Once you're logged in you can then click Playstation Plus from the left side of the screen and then click free games. From there you just add them to your cart and hit checkout. If you put your system in "rest mode" instead of shutting all the way down you can even start the download from your computer so it's installed and waiting when you get home from work. Here is a link to the web store.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/home/games

Edit: or this. If you haven't redeemed the code yet you would have to do that first.
Did they give you a redemption code? You should just have to enter that.

In order to avoid spoilers (I'm normally on a media blackout for Uncharted games ever since the 15-minute E3 demo totally ruined one of the best set pieces in U2 for me), I watched a sample three-minute clip from the middle of the video, where he's platforming and fighting a few enemies in a jungle setting with steep cliffs. If I had seen this same video without any context or information about where it came from, I would've thought it was from Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which I've played beginning to end three times. I've also heard this demo is only running at 30 fps and Naughty Dog said they were going for 60 fps for the next Uncharted release. I guess the good news is, if Uncharted 4 gets ported to PS3 or Vita, I'll be able to skip the PS4 generation entirely. Or simply wait for a PS5 port. :p

In order to avoid spoilers (I'm normally on a media blackout for Uncharted games ever since the 15-minute E3 demo totally ruined one of the best set pieces in U2 for me), I watched a sample three-minute clip from the middle of the video, where he's platforming and fighting a few enemies in a jungle setting with steep cliffs. If I had seen this same video without any context or information about where it came from, I would've thought it was from Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which I've played beginning to end three times. I've also heard this demo is only running at 30 fps and Naughty Dog said they were going for 60 fps for the next Uncharted release. I guess the good news is, if Uncharted 4 gets ported to PS3 or Vita, I'll be able to skip the PS4 generation entirely. Or simply wait for a PS5 port. :p

Ha! I think it's safe to say that Uncharted 4 will be PS4 exclusive but they kind of surprised me with some of their other games recently. LBP3 got a PS3 version and the trailer that just came out for MLB The Show 15 says there will be a PS3 version for that one too. I find it surprising that Sony isn't limiting these first party exclusives to PS4 even if it means the games won't sell as many copies. It seems like they would be pushing PS4 exclusivity to try and get people who are holding out like you to make the upgrade.

Where did they say they were targeting 60fps BTW? Hadn't read that, just that the demo is a stable 30.

From Naughty Dog's blog at the time of the E3 demo:

"All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine. That’s Nathan Drake rendered in 1080p full glory using the power of our PS4 engine. All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine. We’re targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and as you can see the visual fidelity for our character models will reach new heights."

This video pretty much sums up my feelings about this gen so far:

I know that this is a big deal for some but in actual gameplay I honestly can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps as long as it's steady. I know from my experience with PC gaming and being able to see the exact fps in the corner of my screen that I would rather have a constant 30fps than something that varies from 45-60fps.

I've been playing Shadow of Mordor on PC recently and that game is a perfect example of this. I'm able to play with everything turned up and hold at 60fps about 85% of the time. However, my machine isn't beefy enough to hold that 60fps in all scenarios. If there is a lot of stuff on screen or if I turn my character around in a circle it will sometimes dip down to about 45fps.

This is very jarring to me so I originally started dropping things like tessellation and dynamic shadow details down to more modest settings until I could hold a constant 60fps. The game still looked good and I will still able to play with high textures but it didn't look as good as the settings I had just been using with mostly steady framerates.

Because I wanted the full PC graphical experience with this game I went back to the settings and put everything back to high. I turned on V-sync which locks the framerate at 60 if your PC can handle it 100% of the time. If it can't handle a constant 60fps it locks the framerate at 30. I am much happier having everything else maxed out with a perfectly steady 30 than a couple things turned down and a steady 60. By that same token I would rather have Naughty Dog max out those graphics at 30fps than compromise on the visuals to try and hit 60fps.

To be clear, I can tell the difference in things like The Last of Us Remastered's cutscenes. I just honestly don't see the difference in most gameplay between 30fps and 60fps.

There is a definite difference. Sometimes you get so "used" to it that you don't realize it. One good way to tell is to play MCC, and then record it in the One and then compare how it looks (the recorder only uses 30 fps.)

Here's a website dedicated to the difference: http://30vs60.com/

There is a definite difference. Sometimes you get so "used" to it that you don't realize it. One good way to tell is to play MCC, and then record it in the One and then compare how it looks (the recorder only uses 30 fps.)

Here's a website dedicated to the difference: http://30vs60.com/

I'm not saying there isn't a difference. I just don't personally notice it when I'm actually playing a game. Graphics can be pushed further when they don't have to render twice as many frames every single second too.

All I'm saying is that I can see the difference in increased graphics quality more than I can see the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Given what I can see I'd rather companies like Naughty Dog try to push for the best possible graphics rather than trying to hit 60fps.

That being said, I do want all games to have at least a steady 30fps. When it starts to dip below that or when the framerate fluctuates I can see the choppiness and that's very annoying.

Facepalm thread

VR and AR on Facebook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)