Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

Why don't they just use the existing network?

It would give their support managers nightmares. They probably don't want to support thousands of different potential network configurations. Do you have a real cat5 cable or a phone cable? Are there any mac filters on the router? Are you plugged into a LAN or WAN port? Etc, etc, etc. If it truly is restricted to MoCA only, then they have a reasonably homogenous system to support.

I would hope in the end they open it enough that you have the option of using standard ethernet at your own risk. With both the 813 and 110s having connections, I think it will probably happen (but have absolutely no basis for that belief).

Dish Customer Support already supports ethernet connectivity issues for a number of their STB's, including Sling streaming.

Why would this be more of a nightmare? (If it works as advertised, of course, which is a HUGE "if" when discussing Dish HW.)

Dish Customer Support already supports ethernet connectivity issues for a number of their STB's, including Sling streaming.

Why would this be more of a nightmare? (If it works as advertised, of course, which is a HUGE "if" when discussing Dish HW.)
support? you're kidding right? allow to be used? offer the most basic of solutions (power cycle, power cycle, power cycle) and beyond that many are *clueless* with networking.. as are they with their own error codes (or I should qualify that as Sling's error codes that Sling didn't seem to share with Dish as openly)

Key to any technology is making it idiot proof .. and dish does try (often misses the mark though).

Right now if the network is flaky, the core service still works - you can still watch TV. If you fail some basic connectivity tests Dish is perfectly reasonable telling you to call the ISP, nerd herd, or the neighbor's kid to debug the network.

If anything close to a standard install involves non-dish components and the kids can't watch Sponge Bob, Dish will get blamed even if the real fault is the $15 overheated, dust encrusted walmart router that's fallen behind the bookcase.

And here is the user manual for the XiP 110. I like the screen shots (although a few of them are from the 922) :)

Attachments

• XIP110 Manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,123
Interesting reading here, and shows how they test these boxes at the FCC... Lots of neat pictures too...

Attachments

• XiP110 FCC Report.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 408
Sorry for asking (I'm sure this is the 100th time somebody has had this question): Any ETA on this thing?

Cool, it won't be long now. So I noticed that where it was talking about PiP, it said "Not available at this time." So is there a different model coming eventually?
Probably won't be enabled when the system ships and will be added later via software update. Probably a lesson they learned from doing 922 development - aim expectations low. :) Less people to disappoint and turn against you.

EDIT: Were these two docs not put up at first? I could have sworn I saw these already.

Looking at the "fees" section there is a $5 fee for not having TV2 connected to a phone line. Looks like there may be some boiler plate copying from previous manuals.

I'd love for this box to work with the sling adapter as well as the XiP 813 receiver. That would be really nice.

Miner

Looking at the "fees" section there is a $5 fee for not having TV2 connected to a phone line. Looks like there may be some boiler plate copying from previous manuals.

I'd love for this box to work with the sling adapter as well as the XiP 813 receiver. That would be really nice.

Miner
Yeah I saw that too. They must have copied it from some older manuals because most of the fees have either been updated or replaced.

Miner

I'd bet they're bringing the 5 dollar tv2 fees back since the XiP813 has 3 tuners and it can run a whole home. It's also the best incentive they ever had for connecting boxes.

Sling adapter is being put out to pasture with this new system. It's gonna have a MoCA bridge with ethernet being delivered through coax. The external power supply wouldn't let the sling work anyway. Should prove to be much more reliable and universal. So many homes have funky electrical that doesn't let the Sling adapters work throughout the home, it was a total crapshoot getting those things to work.

Last edited:
I wonder how far the coax run can be using this unit running from the receiver to this unit vs. satellite receivers currently in use from the satellite dish to the receiver.

That has to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen! Seems to resemble a bar of black soap.

Has anyone have a sense of esthetics anymore? Anyway I am not excited about

the 110 and all its gimmicks which I have no use for.

:p