Ravens cut Ray Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray Rice brought all of this upon himself,but I believe that the release of this video was done intentionally to embarrass the NFL & to probably force Goodell to resign. If the NFL had treated this right the first time & suspended Rice indefinitely,using the same criteria it used to reinstate Ben Rothlesberger(counselling among other things) after he was suspended for rape charges,this wouldn't have come back to bite them in the arse. Again,Fox News brought up the point of was the NFL trying to cover this up to get Rice back on the field as soon as possible. If the answer is yes,then Roger Goodell is damaged goods & will have to resign. What happened to Ray Rice is collateral damage(again,brought upon by himself),but like I said,this release was to both embarrass & damage the reputation of both the NFL & Roger Goodell. Ray Rice is Roger Goodell's "Willie Horton."

You're probably right but the NFL should be embarrassed by the way they handled this. I applaud TMZ for getting this out there and showing everyone just how bad this was. If the NFL would have done their job correctly it wouldn't have been necessary but since they basically did nothing it had to get out there.

Rice got the shaft dye to social pressure. The nfl saw the tape and punished him 2 games. The end!
Am sure the nflpa will appeal

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I was shocked to see some people on this site defend Rice when this news first broke a few months ago. He is a freak of nature NFL athlete who punched a woman in the face and some people were on board with his self defense excuse. That would be like an average man walking into a playground and punching a 1st grader. After seeing the video it's even more clear that this was not self defense and people are still defending him here.

As far as I'm concerned, Ray Rice is a piece of trash. The discussion of how many games he should miss should have never happened because he should have been in jail.

While this case was clearly mishandled by all involved, I think the bulk of the blame for this fiasco lies with the prosecutor's office in New Jersey.

It's clear that all parties had access to the "TMZ video". Since Rice was severely undercharged by the prosecutor, the NFL's hands were tied when it came to determining their punishment. How could the NFL drop the hammer on Rice when the state was giving him a slap on the wrist??

I feel bad for John Harbaugh. No Ravens management or ownership reps faced the media yesterday to explain their decision. Instead, they send out the head coach....

It boils down to money and public relations.
Do you really think the NFLPA will touch this and paint themselves as supporting domestic violence?
Use some common sense.

And here comes the insults... yeah even my grandmother sounds tough behind a keyboard. :sleepy

A unions mandate is to protect its member....and not be concerned w/ perceived public opinions/relations or whatever.

Stories have surface that the NFL DID see the entire video before banning Rice 2 games ie- Punishment served and rendered.

Video comes out, upsetting the masses then the NFL goes back and "re-punishes" Rice to satisfy social pressure?

If you recall, days following the Rice suspension, Goodell and company released the new suspension guidelines regarding domestic violence (6 games then a full ban). Goodell didnt even follow his own rules made up last week.... so if you really think the NFLPA wont be filing a grievance here....(insert your own insult here).

Cheers, K

And here comes the insults... yeah even my grandmother sounds tough behind a keyboard. :sleepy

A unions mandate is to protect its member....and not be concerned w/ perceived public opinions/relations or whatever.

Stories have surface that the NFL DID see the entire video before banning Rice 2 games ie- Punishment served and rendered.

Video comes out, upsetting the masses then the NFL goes back and "re-punishes" Rice to satisfy social pressure?

If you recall, days following the Rice suspension, Goodell and company released the new suspension guidelines regarding domestic violence (6 games then a full ban). Goodell didnt even follow his own rules made up last week.... so if you really think the NFLPA wont be filing a grievance here....(insert your own insult here).

Cheers, K
not when that member flat out lied in failing to disclose certain facts.

I was shocked to see some people on this site defend Rice when this news first broke a few months ago.

Same here... what he did was inexcusable. However, my beef if with the NFL who punished him after hearing/seeing the evidence then re-punishing him (beyond their own new guidelines) when society has a cow...

Bucking to public pressure seems to be a trend lately that goes far beyond football.

Same here... what he did was inexcusable. However, my beef if with the NFL who punished him after hearing/seeing the evidence then re-punishing him (beyond their own new guidelines) when society has a cow...

Bucking to public pressure seems to be a trend lately that goes far beyond football.
it boils down to dollars, the NFL is not going cause harm or damage its "brand" in PR matters.

While this case was clearly mishandled by all involved, I think the bulk of the blame for this fiasco lies with the prosecutor's office in New Jersey.

It's clear that all parties had access to the "TMZ video". Since Rice was severely undercharged by the prosecutor, the NFL's hands were tied when it came to determining their punishment. How could the NFL drop the hammer on Rice when the state was giving him a slap on the wrist??

I feel bad for John Harbaugh. No Ravens management or ownership reps faced the media yesterday to explain their decision. Instead, they send out the head coach....

Agreed that the prosecutor severely screwed this up. I don't agree with the rest of it so much. Employers are free to hold their employees to higher standards than the law does. Just because the police didn't throw him in jail like they should have it doesn't mean that they couldn't have kicked him out of the league.

This is a fan supported business. Public pressure is pretty much the most important thing to them. If the fans no longer support the NFL they lose money and they aren't going to face that over a low life like Ray Rice.

Reactions: bigjohnok
Granted... I understand why the NFL did it, dont agree with it..however, the NFLPA though will have their say in a few days.

now you are defending domestic violence and the people and organizations that covered it up?
thanks for showing your true colors.
Implied-Facepalm.jpg

Agreed that the prosecutor severely screwed this up. I don't agree with the rest of it so much. Employers are free to hold their employees to higher standards than the law does. Just because the police didn't throw him in jail like they should have it doesn't mean that they couldn't have kicked him out of the league.
I agree the NFL could have thrown the book at Rice, but they would have had to justify why the strong punishment was warranted when the state was being lenient.

Reactions: Rey
Granted... I understand why the NFL did it, dont agree with it..however, the NFLPA though will have their say in a few days.

The NFLPA will not touch this with a 10 foot pole.

The players salaries are tied to revenue, 40% of NFL fans are women. They're not not going to tie themselves to Rice at the risk of losing revenue.

I agree the NFL could have thrown the book at Rice, but they would have had to justify why the strong punishment was warranted when the state was being lenient.

After initially viewing the full video way back when, the NFL shouldve booted Rice on the spot. Seems like their trying to correct their initial mistake.

The NFLPA will not touch this with a 10 foot pole.

The players salaries are tied to revenue, 40% of NFL fans are women. They're not not going to tie themselves to Rice at the risk of losing revenue.

If not tomorrow, then next week but at one point the NFLPA will get involved. Probably going to wait for the heat to die down first. Besides, its Rice's call.. if he says GO, the NFLPA will get involved.

If not tomorrow, then next week but at one point the NFLPA will get involved. Probably going to wait for the heat to die down first. Besides, its Rice's call.. if he says GO, the NFLPA will get involved.
go do some reading on the personal conduct policy
Ray has to wait at least 11 months before he can file an appeal

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/21598/nfl-personal-conduct-policy

Reinstatement:

Any person suspended indefinitely or for at least one year may seek reinstatement beginning one month prior to the one-year anniversary of the suspension. As part of his consideration of the application for reinstatement from a player, the Commissioner will seek the views of the NFLPA, Player Advisory Council, and may consult medical, law enforcement, and other relevant professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)