SES2 AMC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is anyone missing the channels I mentioned earlier? (Me TV, This TV) or is my dish hosed again?!

Seems like I am getting a lot more vertical transponders then horizontal, but I am getting a few H transponders (such as NASA)

This TV / signal 93/quality 99, same on ME
NASA 94/99
Roberts horse racing schedule tp (opp polarity) 94/99
Maybe you have a giant cloud over head Scott.

Is anyone missing the channels I mentioned earlier? (Me TV, This TV) or is my dish hosed again?!

Seems like I am getting a lot more vertical transponders then horizontal, but I am getting a few H transponders (such as NASA)

I couldnt get ThisTV this afternoon
MeTV was lower quality

Well I've got PBJ and all the stuff on 4080 again.

I "bumped" the dish a little and it came back.

I think I need to do some more physical tuning on my dish. It's just so extremely difficult to get to the LNB way up there.
I need like a platform that I can walk out on so I can get into the dish. Like a diving board.
Standing on a ladder, I can just barely reach the LNB. It's not so much the height, it's that the dish is so big around it's hard to reach that far into it. :(

Maybe my dad can help me build something for my John Deere that I can drive up to the dish then walk out into the middle of the dish.
There are definite disadvantages to having a 10' dish. I don't know how one can possibly work on 12' or bigger dishes..

Attachments

• pbj-ses2.jpg
    pbj-ses2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 184
I can't work on my 10' unless I drive it down to 123 or 125 , without fear of either falling into the dish or falling off the ladder. When I had that old 12' thing up, had to take it over to 135 or so or never reach the lnb at all.

I can't work on my 10' unless I drive it down to 123 or 125 , without fear of either falling into the dish or falling off the ladder. When I had that old 12' thing up, had to take it over to 135 or so or never reach the lnb at all.

But how would you adjust the LNB for channels in the middle?
I know that the THEORY is that you adjust it on any one satellite and it will work right on all of them but I have NEVER found that to be true, at least in my limited experience. I usually end up aiming at the one satellite I want the most and try to adjust it to that one, and more specifically, adjust it to the channel I want.

Case in point: You can have the LNB taped to the neighbor's tree with scotch tape and aimed at his dog house and you will still get NASA on 87. But it's always been very hard for me to tune in the good stuff like Me, This, RTV, etc..

Same thing on 123. I could hold the LNB in my hand away from the mounts and get several of the religious channels on there but getting FSTV was a true nightmare.

I was thinking back to a long time ago, back when I was married and we had an old C-band dish. At that time I had absolutely no knowledge of it's mysterious workings. We had a subscription and we got a big FAT TV guide in the mail every month. They pictures were always fuzzy and static filled, I think we called them sparklies or twinklies or something like that. There was a knob on one of the tuner boxes you could turn to help clear it up, sometimes.

In retrospect, I'm thinking that it might have been a skew controller. I sure with there was something like that for these new dishes. It sure would make life a lot easier if you could just turn a knob in the house a little rather than go bumbling around on a ladder and break your neck..

Well, for me, 3800 has gone up in Q by 2 points(72-74 to 74-76), while 4080 has lost! Was 68-70, now no better than 48-53. Not enough to scan in channels.:mad: (Yes, I did recheck dish tuning, no improvement) All other TP's show an improvement in Q from 0 to 2 points.

Interestingly it seems as though there is no signal on the C band side of this bird in Hawaii. SES.com shows a spot beam for the ku side, but nothing for the Ku side. I seem to have lost NASA. Oh well, with the demise of the shuttle, and a space program going nowhere, I guess I do not need to see it..

Interestingly it seems as though there is no signal on the C band side of this bird in Hawaii. SES.com shows a spot beam for the ku side, but nothing for the Ku side. I seem to have lost NASA. Oh well, with the demise of the shuttle, and a space program going nowhere, I guess I do not need to see it..

Maui,

What do you get in Hawaii that we can't see from the CONUS?

Well I've lost 4080. Again.
Me thinks some big kid is playing with buttons and switches in Mission Control somewhere in Tennessee.
Like a kid playing with a light switch. :(

Please. Stop..

edit: On the other hand, 3800 is stronger now than I have EVER seen it! Rock solid!

The signal holds steady at 87% SI / 72% SQ. It no longer fluctuates like it used to. I could not ask for better.EVERYTHING on 87 is coming in really, really strong now. However, 4080 is "NO SIGNAL" for now. And that is a bummer because PBJ is only on 4080, it is not on the 3800 transponder.

And where I am, in flat land with idiot neighbors that let useless Chinese Tallow trees grow like weeds, there is no way possible I would ever be able to pick up the Alaskan satellites. I would have to cut down every tree for a 1/4 mile then put the dish on a 30 foot pole. Not gonna happen..

Come on Mr. Luken, turn 4080 back on. PLEASE?????? :cry:

Attachments

• wbay-s2-rtv-87w-3800.jpg
    wbay-s2-rtv-87w-3800.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
If anyone cares I am getting NASA on the 4 footer now :cool: All of the channels are perfect even in the snow ! The signal is not strong but its stable.

That RTI 1 channel from the Ivory Coast seems to be on 89w as I bumped the dish a little east for NASA and its not watchable now. I was suspicious because the transponder is labeled "Intelsat TMT" and 87w is SES owned. It was funny to see an episode of Family Matters on with Steve Urkel speaking french. :p

Much better signal on everything on 87W for me today. All the RTV stuff is at 70% on the SSO receiver. I usually only got the one RTV Tp. Car TV looks pretty decent to watch. Wish I had a couple of those nice cars....Blind

Maui,

What do you get in Hawaii that we can't see from the CONUS?

There is some potential to receive stuff from Australia on intelsat 5 and possibly some chinese stuff on intelsat 8 but in order to get those I would have to have an H2H mount.

The American satellites are so low to the east that when viewing the former AMC 3, the dish looked like it was pointing at the ground. It was the farthest bird east that I could see. When pointing at AMC 8 the dish is still short of getting to the flop over point.

I would need to get past that "flop over" point in order to see out to 166.o E.

There is some potential to receive stuff from Australia on Intelsat 5 and possibly some chinese stuff on intelsat 8 but in order to get those I would have to have an H2H mount.
I would need to get past that "flop over" point in order to see out to 166.o E.

Picking up some Aussie stuff sounds exciting and presumably in English.
How about putting up a second dish?

Picking up some Aussie stuff sounds exciting and presumably in English.
How about putting up a second dish?

To be truthful I have a spare paraclypse 12 foot dish with a H2H mount, but it is in storage under the house for that rainy day when my current paraclypse dish is finally gives out.

I do not anticipate that happening anytime soon, but I just do not need to have two dishes out there at the same time. Maybe someday I will get ambitious, and change the dish so that I can check out the asian satellites, but for now the one is providing me with all that I want to see, and as long as it works I know I can replace it when the time comes...

Hey gotta ask...if you can see both RTV muxes

Did they move the HD feed (WHDT) to 87W? It use to be on 137W but Saturday it now says "channel available" and a Luken slate under that channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Manhattan Update 3.3 thread

Signal Loss on C\KU Bands Setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts