spot for a cheap, new dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
didnt think birdview made 6 footers

8 9.5 and 10 i thought is all the made

and this was in lincoln IL

i think $150 is a good price, it has a brand new arm, which was $150 new, and the dish is only 5 years old when most finds are 15+

I'd slap a DMX741, CK2, or BSC621 on your existing Dish and call it a day.

A 7.5' dish has about 60% the surface area of a 10', and is not 2 degree compliant.

This^!

TechFizzle, your dish is in MUCH better shape than my 10' Perfect 10, you should just go with what you got.

Attachments

• Satellite Dish 03-02-08.JPG
    Satellite Dish 03-02-08.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Satellite Dish 03-02-08b.JPG
    Satellite Dish 03-02-08b.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 130
i will have to do some thinking about it

all the dents will bounce signals into another part of the reflector, or away from it causing some major signal degreagration

i will have to do some thinking about it

all the dents will bounce signals into another part of the reflector, or away from it causing some major signal degreagration

You are correct, a dish with a lot of hail dents and holes (like mine) is not going to be as efficient as the same dish that is pristine....but that being said I get anything and everything I try for with that old beatup POS. :cool:

The keys to mine doing as well as it does are the size (10') and it is very well aligned, you could do the same (or better) with yours, I'm sure. :)

im thinking the reflector is warped.

I bought this dish at the auction it was in 4 peices with the h-h and mount SITTING on the dish, and I put it together

if i peak the dish one way, pbs x and the buena vista feed on g-16 come in loud and clear with to sparklies
if i peak it another hsn and other channels come in, put no pbs x or buena vista

and some channels dont come in any way i peak it

i cant get sheppards chappel at all, which was being picked up fine on the 6 foot unimesh ( i junked it because i was going to put it on the pole, then it slipped on the pole gorged the dish)

If i can get it for $150, isnt that a good price? brand new acuator, the dish is about 6 years old.

also will an acuator track better then a h-h

another reason i hate this dish is becuase i burnt up the reed swithches

not exactly what i meant
i had it peaked on my true south

also is an acuator better then h-h for acuracy

Have you tried doing a string test to see if your dish is warped?

And, generally speaking a good H-H is probably more accurate than a linear actuator...but for C-band only it doesn't really matter, you can get "close enough".

techfizzle said:
another reason i hate this dish is becuase i burnt up the reed swithches

i think we can repair the reed switches if you can take a picture of it
also a H To H motor & mount is way more accurate than a actuator, it usually allows you to view more of the arc.

and still no one has asnwered this question

is $150 a good deal for a 5 year old dish?

That's because everyone here feels that your current dish is fine. That being said even if your just looking to add another dish to the farm I wouldn't pay a red cent for a used dish that I have to dig up.

hmmm cost of fixing a reed sensor $2 - $20
cost of adjusting and fine tuning the dish you have = $0 (just your time)

cost of other smaller dish = $150

That's because everyone here feels that your current dish is fine. That being said even if your just looking to add another dish to the farm I wouldn't pay a red cent for a used dish that I have to dig up.
no digging for the $150, the guy would be delivering it to my house.

i just want a smaller dish

10 foot dish with two huge gashes, several large dents and innumerable hail dents, bad reed switch, misaligned support arms

VS

a pristine 7.5 foot perfect 10 with new acuator

and if i scrap my current dish, and offer the guy $125, the dish will probaly end up costing me about $100

Monty Hall likes door number 1. But hell no one is stopping you from getting a smaller dish, we just all think we could make that 10 footer perform the way it should with a little tweaking. It's your money, if you want the other dish go for it.

no digging for the $150, the guy would be delivering it to my house.

i just want a smaller dish

10 foot dish with two huge gashes, several large dents and innumerable hail dents, bad reed switch, misaligned support arms

VS

a pristine 7.5 foot perfect 10 with new acuator

and if i scrap my current dish, and offer the guy $125, the dish will probably end up costing me about $100
My bet is on the support arms. My father and I pulled the buttonhook arm out of ours 2 weeks ago and re-straightened it.

Poor thing had a limb hit the arm the first year and took another one last winter.
It had a wonderful dent/rib where the arm rested on the mount
The LNB holder was 3-4 inches SSW of bore-sight.

5 point gain on C-Band (meh, most stuff was above 70 anyway) but that's what it took to get my Ku-band back in alignment and nothing below 65 (up from 40 on the strong TP's)
Note: Geosatpro meter, not coolsat meter

At the same time it sounds like you just want another dish. $150 Delivered, take it!

Don't scrap your 10 footer if it's C-band only. A little TLC on the actuator and it'll run great.

when i bought the dish the support arms were bent straight up. it is very hard to restraighten bent aluminum bent near a 90 degree angle

a buddy of mine is giving me a bsc621, is it worth putting on a dish? i hear they were not a good performer on linear ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts