!!!!! STB Software Update (7.0b) Being Released - Starting Oct. 6th !!!!!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
VOOM is planning to release a software update this week! Approximately 10% of customers are expected to receive it tonight or tomorrow morning. Others should receive it within the next few days.

This is a maintenance update (Nep. 7.0B). No new noticeable features expected. Most changes are internal, that had to be done in order to enable future PPV functionality and for compatibility with the upcoming DVR. Certain previously reported bugs are fixed, but not all of them. Further software updates are expected within the next month or two. We'll be posting new information at VOOM.SatelliteGuys.US as it becomes available.

Based on how previous updates were done, once the update is authorized, you should be able to see whether your STB is targeted or not in System Status. And make sure to leave the STB off (in Standby mode) overnight!

Ilya.

MasterFX1 said:
Any speculation as to wether the STB will now require a land-based phone line? I'm assuming it will for PPV, but what about non-PPV viewing?
No word on that. They can enforce the phone line requirement whenever they chose to do so. This is more a political decision, rather than technical...

The other day I noticed my STB tried to phone home the evening of 9/27 - it didn't work since the phone line was disconnected. Anyway, I called the 800 number listed in the reportback and it rings endlessly...no modem on the other end.

I would assume PPV will require a dial tone (land land/VIP) to order these events. Of course, you should also be able to pick-up a cell phone and have a VOOM CSR take your order.

I'll have to force my download again, I can't leave mine off, I record too many programs and since I can't rely on the "Power On" feature to work, well, there you have it. Hey, maybe they will make "Power On" the default?

DarrellP said:
I'll have to force my download again, I can't leave mine off, I record too many programs and since I can't rely on the "Power On" feature to work, well, there you have it. Hey, maybe they will make "Power On" the default?
What is a forced download? Also, would the new software download if one were to perform a factory reset and have the box reauthorized this evening?

riffjim4069 said:
What is a forced download? Also, would the new software download if one were to perform a factory reset and have the box reauthorized this evening?
In some cases it is possible to force a download (last item in the Installation Wizard). However, this only works if your STB is targeted and if the new software is being sent through the satellite.

And I wouldn't do factory reset tonight, if I were you. Why would you need a factory reset anyway?

Ilya said:
In some cases it is possible to force a download (last item in the Installation Wizard). However, this only works if your STB is targeted and if the new software is being sent through the satellite.
Ilya,

Just curious...my box originally came with 5.68. If I were to perform a factory reset, would the box go back to the version 5.68 (original) or has it been permanently replaced by 6.2? Also, it seems to me that any box having been recently authorized would get first crack at the firmware update. :confused:

Why would you need a factory reset anyway?

Ilya said:

And I wouldn't do factory reset tonight, if I were you. Why would you need a factory reset anyway?
Why not? Are we getting some kind of surprize? Are we going to wake with some very impressive changes? Who? When? What? If? How? I won't ask why.

Ilya said:
I'm in no hurry for the firmware upgrade. The only reason I would need to perform a factory reset is because of curiosity. Also, I feel as though I have been neglecting my VOOM STB since the arrival of the cable HD DVR. :confused:

riffjim4069 said:
Ilya,

Just curious...my box originally came with 5.68. If I were to perform a factory reset, would the box go back to the version 5.68 (original) or has it been permanently replaced by 6.2? Also, it seems to me that any box having been recently authorized would get first crack at the firmware update. :confused:
It's been long time since I tried a factory reset myself, so I am not sure how it works in the latest version, but I don't believe it can restore an older software version. What Factory Reset does it erases some important parameters, like your OTA and satellite maps, time zone, etc. The danger of doing Factory Reset when the satellite reception is not stable or when there are problems with the PG info, is that you may end up with a non-operational STB (at least temporarily). Also, I am currently not aware of any problems that can be solved with a factory reset, that's why I am not recommending it. (Do it on your own risk, if you really want to ;))

I was targeted, so I downloaded and installed the update. I am noticing no differences in this update.

runz22 said:
How do you check if you're targeted??
Here is one way of doing this: Press HELP, INFO, OK.
Scroll Down to the next page (if I remember correctly).
It will show you Current Version and Target Version.
If the Target version is missing, you are not targeted yet.

The update downloaded and rebooted my STB last night - nothing new, but I did notice the VOOM channels (100-999) seem to pause a second longer while changing channels. Also, the audio comes in-and-out twice about quarter second before the picture and audio "lock" and the picture is displayed. All OTA channels changed quickly (no difference) and without the audio "stutter" I experienced with changing channels 100-999.

Channels 100-999 were "locking" much smoother with 6.20 IMO. Anyway, it's not a huge deal but I certainly noticed a difference...just wondering if anyone noticed this as well?

Riff...