!!!!! STB Software Update (7.0b) Being Released - Starting Oct. 6th !!!!!

Any update about the update? Has anyone else gotten "upgraded" since October 8? I am happily running 6.20 still, and from what I have read about 7.0B I don't want it. My guess is that after the problems that were reported with 7.0B that Voom has stopped the upgrade until the new lockup issues can be fixed. I would like to hear from someone "inside" about the upgrade.

I have not had any lockups since the frst day, both of which happened when I was surfing through the shannel up/down buttons.

I have only used the program guide since then to change channels and to surf. Using the Favorites, HD Only and All Channels without a problem. Will not just surf with up/down arrows again.

Shelly

No upgrade yet, and not targeted as yet. I've noticed a strange (and very minor) problem. I use the Harmony SST-659, and have it set to HBO when I turn on the TV. So channel 201 comes on by default, and that works fine. If I press 31 to bring up Fox, which is OTA, the channel comes up but there is no sound. Happens every time. All you have to do is channel up, then channel down, and the sound comes back.

VOOM is holding off further 70b updates, pending resolution of some recently reported problems, including the DVI issues. Stay tuned!

Problems with 7.0b have been reported since the 7th...and I have twice reported this problem directly to VOOM (slow changing of channels and STB freezing). I didn't have a single problem with 6.20. I expected my box to be patched or downgraded to 6.20...especially after this long.

Ilya said:
VOOM is holding off further 70b updates, pending resolution of some recently reported problems, including the DVI issues. Stay tuned!
Good idea.. had mine in stand by all week so I would not get it.. I do not want to lose my DVI connection.. How could they not check something as big as that?

I should have unplugged my box that night. Or will it try to update every night?

What is the DVI issue? I didn't see that in this thread. My HDTV is on the way... eager to see this stuff > 480i.

jeremys said:
I should have unplugged my box that night. Or will it try to update every night? What is the DVI issue?
It would try every night, but I think they stopped sending updates for now. The DVI issue is that the box seems to lose the DVI synchronization for a moment whenever you change channels. On some TVs this results in just an instantaneous black-out, but other TVs respond with flickering, blue-screens, etc.

So, to sum up: The new S/W patch has no known problems, as long as you do not change the channel?

good times!

Just wanted to share - the solution to our channel surfing lock-ups (since the "update") was to switch back to component instead of DVI/HDMI cable. Hopefully they will fix the glitch since I can convince myself that there is enough of a difference to justify that pricey dvi/hdmi cable. By the way, service tech was here yesterday to do an antenna upgrade, and thought the lock-ups were because of a bad receiver so will be getting a new one next week!

jorgemelina said:
Just wanted to share - the solution to our channel surfing lock-ups (since the "update") was to switch back to component instead of DVI/HDMI cable. Hopefully they will fix the glitch since I can convince myself that there is enough of a difference to justify that pricey dvi/hdmi cable. By the way, service tech was here yesterday to do an antenna upgrade, and thought the lock-ups were because of a bad receiver so will be getting a new one next week!
jorgemelina, welcome to the forum!

If you are getting lock-ups all the time, replacing the receiver might not be a bad idea. (By lock-up I mean that STB stops responding completely.)

The DVI/HDMI synchronization loss when switching channels is indeed a software problem and it should be fixed soon, as I was told. Switching to component connections might be a temporary solution for those who are experiencing the problem. Note, that not all TVs respond to this with flickering or blue screens. I am running 7.0b and my Sony GWIII just blacks out for a second without any flickering, snow or blue screens. So, I don't bother switching to Component and I am using DVI in 1080i mode. I guess, some TV sets behave differently.

On a positive note, I like being able to see full program title on the Info screen, including the program name in double quotes (e.g. artist's name on Rave). This wasn't available until this version. I also like seeing three-line program description at the top of the PG screen. In the previous version only 2 lines were displayed. Some other minor bugs appear to be fixed, like those that were caused by pressing PgUp/PgDn while on the Info screen.

Again, the purpose of this version release was not so much to fix bugs or to add new features (which will be done later this year, as I was told), but to make some important internal changes, that are required in order to enable future PPV functionality and for compatibility with the upcoming DVR! (sorry, I can't be more specific than that ;))

Ilya said:
Again, the purpose of this version release was not so much to fix bugs or to add new features (which will be done later this year, as I was told), but to make some important internal changes, that are required in order to enable future PPV functionality and for compatibility with the upcoming DVR! (sorry, I can't be more specific than that ;))

"Can't" because you don't know or "can't" because you are under oath not to disclose the goodies? Probably you can't even tell us which "can't" applies here... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts