STRANGE OCCURANCE

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
I have my Traxis 3500 set up for Ku Band Ant 1 and C Band Ant 2 to scan for channels I want to store. I also have Ku Band Scan and C Band Scan set up for feeds and scans that I do not want to keep.

So.... I have the EchoStar ID card on AMC 15 at FR 12128, SR 3972 stored in Ku Band Ant 1 so I can find the satellite when I want it. Today when I went there I got "no signal." I figured they changed the FR or SR, so I went to Ku Band Scan and did a blind scan. I figure I can edit the new numbers in on Ant 1. But, the numbers were the same as the above mentioned. Now I am confused, it will come in on Ku Band Scan but not on Ku Band Ant 1. I decide to delete Ku Scan and scan on Ku Ant 1. It scans in perfect on Ant 1, but here is the strange part, it scans in with a 4 diget FR number, the FR and the SR are the same, 3972. I went to the C Band Scan and entered 3972 for the FR and SR and didn't get any signal. Let me remind you that this is on the Ku side. Why would it scan in with a C Band four diget FR? I am looking at my Ku Band Ant 1 channel list that has all 5 diget FRs except this one. Why would a C Band FR show up un the Ku Band side, any ideas?

Last edited:
Wrong LO?

What's in your setup menu for the satellites? Bad switch? Got a coax crossed somehow?

I am not familiar with the traxis enough to understand the Ant1/Ant2 issue...:confused:

Keith,

You nailed that one. I had checked the LO to see what i had to answer a question for another member. I switched it from standard to user, flipped it back to standard and everything fine. Thanks, Buddy. :up

stogie

since Jim is slaving the Traxis there is no need for all the sats to be put in. He has 2 sats (one C-Band one KU)....that is how my Quali is set up

satellite 1 C-Band
satellite 2 KU Band

doesnt matter the name as its for any KU or C-Band sat

stogie

since Jim is slaving the Traxis there is no need for all the sats to be put in. He has 2 sats (one C-Band one KU)....that is how my Quali is set up

satellite 1 C-Band
satellite 2 KU Band

doesnt matter the name as its for any KU or C-Band sat

Oh. :eek:

I don't do that. I have full satellite/Channel lists on ALL my receivers, slaved or not. I guess I am just anal...LOL

The important thing is we got Brother Jim straight. :up

Beside the fact that I screwed up the LO. I had AMC 15 IDed with the KC tile on the 922 for quite sometime. I had changed it to K1. I went to KC and wasn't even close to AMC 15. When I figured that out I went to K1 and the EchoStar card came right on. This whole mess was for nothing. Sheeeeeeese, what a case of RED FOREMAN syndrome.

It's gone.

Jim, are you saying the analog Dish testcard is gone on 105W?

On Lyngsat they are showing a digital and an analog testcard on 85W & 105W, and those are the only 24/7 Ku analog signals I could find.

Reason I ask is I was going take an analog box and my Coolsat out in the yard and see if I could lock one of those testcards this weekend, I've never tried for Ku analog before. If they are gone I'll need to get info for a feed to attempt it, thanks.

Here is a comparison of the analog color bars vs. the digital color bars on AMC 85.0°W AMC 16 Ku.

Attachments

• AvsD.JPG
    AvsD.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 156
The spectrum scan is from my BLSA. The digital image is from my Twinhan PC card and VLC. The analog image is from my Toshiba TRX-2220 S-Video to my ATSC Tuner card that has S-Video and then I used VLC to get the screen capture.

The spectrum scan is from my BLSA. The digital image is from my Twinhan PC card and VLC. The analog image is from my Toshiba TRX-2220 S-Video to my ATSC Tuner card that has S-Video and then I used VLC to get the screen capture.

thanks for the info, I've done just enough reading in the PC DVB forum to know what most of those acronyms mean, that equipment takes this hobby to a whole other level. :cool:

Here is a comparison of the analog color bars vs. the digital color bars on AMC 85.0°W AMC 16 Ku.

Interesting!

The analog signal seems to have better definition on the number edges, and lower color saturation, to my eyes.

I suspect the analog image is "better", but then again it takes up quite a lot more bandwidth than the digital channel?

Is it just me?

Look at the lower right section of each picture, where various shades of dark grey to black are displayed. I can make out much more detail on the analog side. Am I just imagining this, or has some of the fine shade detail been "compressed out" of the digital image?

Its no secret that 4X3 analog is MUCH more pleasing to the eye than digital.
Those of us that remember the heyday of analog c-band remember stellar PQ was a selling point (ah, memories......)

Analog just isn't all that efficient with TP space. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts