Tek2000 and their 12ft dish.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stoker

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
Chino Valley AZ
Since this is about their 12 foot dish, I decided to make a new thread for it apart from the 10ft. thread.

I bought the 12 foot dish, I ordered it May 31 (or June 1st) after waiting for them to "get them in stock", and it took a month and a half or more to receive it. They kept telling me it was shipped, then it will be shipped and shipped in a few days and then one day they gave me an actual link to track the shipment. I had to open a complaint through paypal to start addressing the issue as I had prepaid for it.

Meanwhile this customer was asking where there dish was, getting all bent out of shape that I didn't have it. But then once I got it, I had to wait on them to allow me to install it. They were waiting for the station to become available. Last week I went down to install it. (The week before I went down to plant the pole.)

Yeah, this dish doesn't have instructions, and what I saw online seemed a little ridiculous, and I did it the way I have always done it- on the ground. Actually, some against a fence. Once you put the bolts on, hold your flat edges level and snug them up, but not too tight. Do the tip, then work out to the edge, keeping the flat edges level with each other. First I did sets of twos, then fours (to make two halves), then the two halves last (on the ground).

It seemed to take me longer than I expected and I didn't finish. I had to make another trip.

One issue I still had to work out is the focal distance. It calls for 51" on the paper they give you, using the 63" rods. It says to use the holes 20 inches from the rim. However the scaler measured 48 inches, leaving me short by 5 1/4". So in my efforts, I had to do the old formula of verifying it is supposed to be 51" and then figure out where to drill some new holes. I'm horrible at math but did a half-brain calculation they will be at 26.2" based on the other sizes and numbers given.

I had searched Google over and over looking for someone who had this issue to no avail. Seems this place had the most recent posts, so I thought I'd come in to say "Hi" and add my two cents. I couldn't remember my login here from years ago, so I just signed up again. I didn't take pics, but did for the final return.

Here is my update...
The pipe sleeve part of the mount is very poor.
Tek2000_12ft_mount1_zpshlfqe1jy.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount2_zpsifzb0ex8.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount3_zpscb1wsl0l.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount4_zpsm8h0ulxu.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount5_zpsf0cagw9x.jpg

Now about the focal length.
The Tec2000 12 foot dish came with 63" poles that you have to bend for yourself. I used a feedhorn scaler ring to do mine. One end has two holes to give you some adjustment.. One of the rods wasn't set in the press correctly and it wasn't centered on the pole, but I made it work. (Not pictured.) I bolted the inner hole to the feed and bent it to a 45 degree angle (guesstamate).

The single page of information stated that the 12ft dish has 63" poles, and to bolt them onto the panels in the pre-drilled holes at 20 inches in. (You have to re-drill through the mesh.) Then it gave a focal distance of 51 inches. Well, using what they give you, the focal distance to the scaler was 48 inches... a whole 5 inches short.

I verified the focal distance by using a conversion of inches to centimeters, ran the string across the dish to measure depth and found this handy tool to do the math right here.
(Yes, it's 51 inches.)

I used some wire to tie the rods down to the mesh close to the ribs and adjusted until I got where I got to where I wanted it. I did two sets of holes (JIC), one at 23 3/4" and one at 24". For me, it turned out that the 24" holes gave me the 51" focal length I needed.

Tek2000_12ft_Feed-holes1_zpsmn49r52t.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_Focal-length1_zpszozns8ll.jpg

(Yeah, I spelled rivets wrong.)

Since this is a stationary set-up, I didn't need to track the belt, so I do not have anything to comment about how it "drove". It did seem to swing well, but I had very little declination to worry about. I did still have to bend the 90 degree plate for what little declination I did have. (So prepare to bend it when you put one together.)

The panels seems okay with some "not perfect" factory riveting making the mesh bow some in places, that I tried to flatten without getting all gung-ho about it. There were lots of rubbed areas and some bent corners. It surely isn't the really nice build that Unimesh used to do. (I miss them.)

Tek2000_12ft_Dish1_zpsh69famz3.jpg

The mount came packed full of Styrofoam peanuts. What a pain in the butt to keep them from flying everywhere when unpacking the mount. They didn't stop one of the ring support struts from bending in a tad. Measure the distance between opposite struts to make sure they are equal before bolting down the reflector. I can't say I'm impressed with the support bar assembly, but it's better than nothing.

And here is the final pic.

Tek2000_12ft_Dish2_zpsqwzhofrb.jpg

If you are curious, I wasn't using both polarities on the satellite, so I popped on a cheap LNB to act as a hole cover on the feed.

Final assessment: YOU WILL NEED TO BUILD YOUR OWN PIPE MOUNT!
I have plans to re-do the pipe mount using quarter inch steel.
I do not feel this mount will last in big winds and I have to address this very soon. I will post a pic of my final product when it happens.
I hope this helps anyone getting the Tek2000 12ft dish.

Stoker,
I have a KTI 12' dish and the mount of that puts this one to shame. With those bolts braking off I'd have concern that the welds could fail on the mount itself. If that mount is built anything like my Chinese office chairs I've went through, the base material cracks when it's welded and only gets worse if it's rewelded. The metal is too tempered or to much carbon and don't weld well, also it's too thin.
It sounds like you're going to address the issue. Besides the focus support holes being off the reflector looks pretty good.
For what you paid for that.... That's a shame. WOW. Thanks for the info.

What is the calculated FD (Focal Diameter ratio)? What is the calculated FL (Focal Length)?

Your photo shows the Focal Length measurement taken to the scalar ring. To measure the FL, set the scalar ring to the correct FD ratio marks on the feedhorn then the FL length measurement is taken from the center of the dish to approximately 1/4" inside the feedhorn throat.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
my 12 ft dish comes on the way
and according to tek2000, it is not necessary to drill new holes for teh rods
this problem is not only in 10 ft?
if I have to drill new holes in 12ft?

I'm going to use it for the arch that plate is the one that will have to bend 90 degrees?

Last edited:
What is the 90 degree plate that I have to bend, if I use it to have the full arc?
can you tell me what is the depth of the, 12 ft dish tek2000

Last edited:
Hi ya'll,
Titanium- As you can see, the scaler ring is at 51 1/4 inches. The f/d is .37, which comes to about 1/2" out to the opening of the wave guide. So it comes to 1/4" inside. So I believe I am exactly correct. (Spent some time checking this.) I wasn't quite level with the camera.

Espaun- Yes, prepare to drill new holes at 24" from edge. It doesn't hurt to have extra at 23 3/4 and 24 1/4 for adjustment. Mind you, you do have the second set of holes on the feedhorn side to use. (The depth I got was 58 cm.)

The 90 degree plate is for declination, at the top of the mount. You will know it when you see it. Once you bolt it on, use a couple of adjustable wrenches to bend it down for your area. (It's no big deal, but should be done.)

Goes- Yes, KTI was a very good company for dishes, as well as Unimesh. In fact, I like KTI very much. I do have plans to rebuild the mount, but it's not going to happen until after this holiday. I hope no heavy winds come up in the meantime. I sold them my KTI 10' dish for another channel, and it was better than the SAMI I kept for myself. (Regret.)
----
Interesting that Tek2000 sent me an email. (They quoted my post here.) They say I "may have gotten one of their older model dish panels". Really? Like how old is two months? Also- "We have since improved the mount and dish collar. These are backyard dishes and not intended for commercial applications. They are priced accordingly" (Commercial dishes are more expensive.)

Yeah, no duh. The fact is that commercial applications are phasing out in lieu of internet feeds. There will be an end to this type of delivery in the future... someday. Low budget TV stations can't spend 5 to 10 grand on a commercial dish, so they have to improvise. That is what is what is happening here. But I do appreciate Tek2000 for having a cheap dish and thank them for the dish. I'm just talking straight with the dealers here.

Hey, look... I know the dish is cheap, I'm just letting folks know what they have to deal with and what they need to do to make this work. The mount sucks, and we need to make a new one. The focal length is wrong, here is where you need to drill new holes. (As nobody has posted that anywhere Google search can find. Hopefully I have changed that.)

Thanks for your review. The dish is what it is. If you want new and don't have several thousand to spend your going to get a Chinese dish and Tek has capitalized on that market niche. These dishes are better than the first few generations and the dish panels themselves are pretty darn good..at least my 10' is. My mount also has the tack welded nuts and pretty thin saddle. I've had one good wind storm but I rotated the dish to be perpendicular to the wind and locked it down and it came thru o.k. In addition I've had a few wet snowfalls and I don't let more than a few inches accumulate on the dish so one needs to be proactive which of course a radio station won't. But for a low budget station using one of these for the 105 feeds with IP backup (in mild winter conditions) it works just fine and the price is right for them as well as the hobbiest.

Hi ya'll,

Espaun- Yes, prepare to drill new holes at 24" from edge. It doesn't hurt to have extra at 23 3/4 and 24 1/4 for adjustment. Mind you, you do have the second set of holes on the feedhorn side to use. (The depth I got was 58 cm.)

The 90 degree plate is for declination, at the top of the mount. You will know it when you see it. Once you bolt it on, use a couple of adjustable wrenches to bend it down for your area. (It's no big deal, but should be done.)

Interesting that Tek2000 sent me an email. (They quoted my post here.) They say I "may have gotten one of their older model dish panels". Really? Like how old is two months? Also- "We have since improved the mount and dish collar. These are backyard dishes and not intended for commercial applications. They are priced accordingly" (Commercial dishes are more expensive.)
Thanks
sure, all your antennas 12ft come with the focus wrong,and I will have to drill

the good thing that in my city the winds are almost null there is not
and when there are, they are not so strong

you can mark me in the image the part that I will have to fold,to get the whole arc
I do not know, if it's where I put the mark on the image

polar.jpg

Attachments

• polar.jpg
    polar.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I bought one of these a few years back.. During a winter storm, the metal mount bent and sheered (ripped the metal like it was paper) and by the end of the storm the dish was laying on the ground. I ended up finding a used mount and Frankenstein'd it in, and threw out the Tek2000 junk mount. This last summer i replaced the 3 bad panels, and i have the dish in tip top condition again.

From those pictures you posted it still looks like their beefed up dish is not beefed up enough! My dish tore itself apart in about 30 mph gusty winds. I would highly suggest welding the heck out of it if anyone is going to keep the original mount unless your dish is completely protected from winds.

The picture below is the Tek2000 dish with my hacked in mount before i painted and cleaned it up.
DSC_0036.JPG

Here is a failure picture of the original Tek2000. Note, that it is the cap plate that tore off from the pipe sleeve that slides down on the pole. .. It wasn't thick enough, and from those pictures, it doesn't look like they addressed that.

DSC_0058.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: madmadworld
Since this is about their 12 foot dish, I decided to make a new thread for it apart from the 10ft. thread.

I bought the 12 foot dish, I ordered it May 31 (or June 1st) after waiting for them to "get them in stock", and it took a month and a half or more to receive it. They kept telling me it was shipped, then it will be shipped and shipped in a few days and then one day they gave me an actual link to track the shipment. I had to open a complaint through paypal to start addressing the issue as I had prepaid for it.

Meanwhile this customer was asking where there dish was, getting all bent out of shape that I didn't have it. But then once I got it, I had to wait on them to allow me to install it. They were waiting for the station to become available. Last week I went down to install it. (The week before I went down to plant the pole.)

Yeah, this dish doesn't have instructions, and what I saw online seemed a little ridiculous, and I did it the way I have always done it- on the ground. Actually, some against a fence. Once you put the bolts on, hold your flat edges level and snug them up, but not too tight. Do the tip, then work out to the edge, keeping the flat edges level with each other. First I did sets of twos, then fours (to make two halves), then the two halves last (on the ground).

It seemed to take me longer than I expected and I didn't finish. I had to make another trip.

One issue I still had to work out is the focal distance. It calls for 51" on the paper they give you, using the 63" rods. It says to use the holes 20 inches from the rim. However the scaler measured 48 inches, leaving me short by 5 1/4". So in my efforts, I had to do the old formula of verifying it is supposed to be 51" and then figure out where to drill some new holes. I'm horrible at math but did a half-brain calculation they will be at 26.2" based on the other sizes and numbers given.

I had searched Google over and over looking for someone who had this issue to no avail. Seems this place had the most recent posts, so I thought I'd come in to say "Hi" and add my two cents. I couldn't remember my login here from years ago, so I just signed up again. I didn't take pics, but did for the final return.

Here is my update...
The pipe sleeve part of the mount is very poor.
Tek2000_12ft_mount1_zpshlfqe1jy.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount2_zpsifzb0ex8.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount3_zpscb1wsl0l.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount4_zpsm8h0ulxu.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_mount5_zpsf0cagw9x.jpg

Now about the focal length.
The Tec2000 12 foot dish came with 63" poles that you have to bend for yourself. I used a feedhorn scaler ring to do mine. One end has two holes to give you some adjustment.. One of the rods wasn't set in the press correctly and it wasn't centered on the pole, but I made it work. (Not pictured.) I bolted the inner hole to the feed and bent it to a 45 degree angle (guesstamate).

The single page of information stated that the 12ft dish has 63" poles, and to bolt them onto the panels in the pre-drilled holes at 20 inches in. (You have to re-drill through the mesh.) Then it gave a focal distance of 51 inches. Well, using what they give you, the focal distance to the scaler was 48 inches... a whole 5 inches short.

I verified the focal distance by using a conversion of inches to centimeters, ran the string across the dish to measure depth and found this handy tool to do the math right here.
(Yes, it's 51 inches.)

I used some wire to tie the rods down to the mesh close to the ribs and adjusted until I got where I got to where I wanted it. I did two sets of holes (JIC), one at 23 3/4" and one at 24". For me, it turned out that the 24" holes gave me the 51" focal length I needed.

Tek2000_12ft_Feed-holes1_zpsmn49r52t.jpg

Tek2000_12ft_Focal-length1_zpszozns8ll.jpg

(Yeah, I spelled rivets wrong.)

Since this is a stationary set-up, I didn't need to track the belt, so I do not have anything to comment about how it "drove". It did seem to swing well, but I had very little declination to worry about. I did still have to bend the 90 degree plate for what little declination I did have. (So prepare to bend it when you put one together.)

The panels seems okay with some "not perfect" factory riveting making the mesh bow some in places, that I tried to flatten without getting all gung-ho about it. There were lots of rubbed areas and some bent corners. It surely isn't the really nice build that Unimesh used to do. (I miss them.)

Tek2000_12ft_Dish1_zpsh69famz3.jpg

The mount came packed full of Styrofoam peanuts. What a pain in the butt to keep them from flying everywhere when unpacking the mount. They didn't stop one of the ring support struts from bending in a tad. Measure the distance between opposite struts to make sure they are equal before bolting down the reflector. I can't say I'm impressed with the support bar assembly, but it's better than nothing.

And here is the final pic.

Tek2000_12ft_Dish2_zpsqwzhofrb.jpg

If you are curious, I wasn't using both polarities on the satellite, so I popped on a cheap LNB to act as a hole cover on the feed.

Final assessment: YOU WILL NEED TO BUILD YOUR OWN PIPE MOUNT!
I have plans to re-do the pipe mount using quarter inch steel.
I do not feel this mount will last in big winds and I have to address this very soon. I will post a pic of my final product when it happens.
I hope this helps anyone getting the Tek2000 12ft dish.

At one time, I considered a dish from these characters, but then I discovered they didn't publish a phone number. I looked all over their website, and no number. I don't deal with anyone who doesn't give their customers a number to reach them. On the other hand, I've read too many complaints about missing pieces, bent or broken parts. holes drilled in the wrong place or poor welds and flimsy construction.

I'd rather pay a thousand dollars for a quality dish than purchase one I'd have to fight all through the installation process. Besides that, there are too many quality dishes in my area to be had for nothing. If issues like the ones you mentioned turns off people who have performed installs, imagine how unhappy a newbie would be. I am not impressed by the company or the dishes they sell. Good luck with yours.

That part that I mark, I see that they place it in two ways, as it is in the image that I mark, or towards the front, what would be the correct one?

polar-mount-declination_zpsj7pxgvsu.jpg

I can't say this will "get you the full arc". This is for modifying the arc needed for your area. Bending the plate just makes it easier to work with. If you don't, you'll have a hard time putting the bolt through the next plate as it will sit high, causing you to loosen the two bolts to give you the leeway to get it in line.

That part that I mark, I see that they place it in two ways, as it is in the image that I mark, or towards the front, what would be the correct one?
The orientation of the "circled" plate is really backwards. Why? Because you want to lessen the strain on that bolt by turning it around and shortening up the bolt's exposure to stress. (That was a good question.) I didn't really show it, but on my first pic, I have it reversed (the right way).

I'd rather pay a thousand dollars for a quality dish than purchase one I'd have to fight all through the installation process. Besides that, there are too many quality dishes in my area to be had for nothing. If issues like the ones you mentioned turns off people who have performed installs, imagine how unhappy a newbie would be. I am not impressed by the company or the dishes they sell. Good luck with yours.

Expect to pay more than $2000 for a 12 footer. My last 12 footer cost me $2200. I can't find any others for less than $3000 now (other than this TEK model).

I was in the market for a new dish for a couple of years after finding that most of the used stuff around me was junk after sitting on the pole and rusting away in the harsh Michigan winters for years. I researched what was available new in the U.S. and there was really only one or two sources as well as a couple that had some old stock. Found a couple of solid spun one piece dishes which would cost almost as much for shipping as buying them and looking at either an 8' or 10' I came to the same conclusion of about $1500 plus shipping. And then you still had to do the install and purchase a receiver, ect.

I had remarked on their forum that if your in the market for new you either have to go with a Chinese dish or expect to pay major dollars for something made in the U.S. and for most hobbyists that is out of reach today. Several years ago one of the old mesh manufacturers [forget the name] sold out of everything and there was a guy talked about on the forums looking at manufacturing them again but come to find out the jigs and everything were busted so that never got anywhere. I'd like a U.S. manufactured product and I'd like something a little heavier duty but it is what it is. I only installed mine back in June and have had only one good wind storm and a moderate snow storm but so far so good.

Like a lot of things in life there is a trade off involved. You have the benefit of new equipment at a price point most of us can afford but the downside is that it isn't going to be built like a tank like many of the old U.S. dishes were. I'll see how mine makes it through a severe Lake Superior winter and we'll see what happens.

I was in the market for a new dish for a couple of years after finding that most of the used stuff around me was junk after sitting on the pole and rusting away in the harsh Michigan winters for years. I researched what was available new in the U.S. and there was really only one or two sources as well as a couple that had some old stock. Found a couple of solid spun one piece dishes which would cost almost as much for shipping as buying them and looking at either an 8' or 10' I came to the same conclusion of about $1500 plus shipping. And then you still had to do the install and purchase a receiver, ect.

I had remarked on their forum that if your in the market for new you either have to go with a Chinese dish or expect to pay major dollars for something made in the U.S. and for most hobbyists that is out of reach today. Several years ago one of the old mesh manufacturers [forget the name] sold out of everything and there was a guy talked about on the forums looking at manufacturing them again but come to find out the jigs and everything were busted so that never got anywhere. I'd like a U.S. manufactured product and I'd like something a little heavier duty but it is what it is. I only installed mine back in June and have had only one good wind storm and a moderate snow storm but so far so good.

Like a lot of things in life there is a trade off involved. You have the benefit of new equipment at a price point most of us can afford but the downside is that it isn't going to be built like a tank like many of the old U.S. dishes were. I'll see how mine makes it through a severe Lake Superior winter and we'll see what happens.

I located a dish that measures 12'6" this summer, but due to having surgery on a toe, I never got a chance to get it. It will still there so I'll get it in the spring. This dish is in pristine condition and built like a tank. I've had good luck locating dishes in this area. I was surprised, this dish didn't have a ding or dent in the mesh at all. All the dishes in my profile picture were discoveries close to here. The 2 in the middle are 12 footers.

Heh..

I thought I had sourced a great mesh dish a few years back. The people had a 10' Paraclipse running an analog receiver [older couple] and decided to get DirecTv. They had the dish mounted on a 10' pole and it had been up there for years. The installer took the c-band dish down and put his small dish on top of the pole. I asked the old gent if I could have his dish and he was glad to get rid of it. He had a good pickup and we loaded the dish up on it and was making the 10 mile drive back to my place. He was in such a hurry because he was afraid that a cop was going to stop him for having that big dish on the back of his truck that he was going too fast and didn't tie the dish down very good. You can guess what happened. Pretty nerve wracking to see that beautiful dish become a kite and crash down to the highway. I had looked at dishes around here now and then but between missing panels to having everything rusted right to the pole I wanted to source new equipment.

Reactions: wvman
Heh..

I thought I had sourced a great mesh dish a few years back. The people had a 10' Paraclipse running an analog receiver [older couple] and decided to get DirecTv. They had the dish mounted on a 10' pole and it had been up there for years. The installer took the c-band dish down and put his small dish on top of the pole. I asked the old gent if I could have his dish and he was glad to get rid of it. He had a good pickup and we loaded the dish up on it and was making the 10 mile drive back to my place. He was in such a hurry because he was afraid that a cop was going to stop him for having that big dish on the back of his truck that he was going too fast and didn't tie the dish down very good. You can guess what happened. Pretty nerve wracking to see that beautiful dish become a kite and crash down to the highway. I had looked at dishes around here now and then but between missing panels to having everything rusted right to the pole I wanted to source new equipment.

Not tying a dish down doesn't work out well. I have 2 inch ratchet straps and a flatbed pickup with an 8 foot wide bed to haul mine on. It has a 4 1/2 foot headache rack behind the cab. Lot's of anchor points on it. I never drive over 25mph when I'm hauling a dish. Better to be safe than sorry.

Reactions: hank123
For me I built the dish on the ground and then mounted the whole dish one piece on the polar mount. Keep everything loose until you get the bolts in the mount to match up and then slowly tighten the bolts in a star pattern like you would do on a car or truck tire to slowly pull the dish into form.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)