Thunderbolt Gingerbread finally released!

I really don't see it added anything. Doesn't help battery life at all.

So what will this do for me other than cost me for using tethering which is free for me now?

That is EXACTLY what it is going to do. Gingerbread is nothing exciting. Moto has a new default app drawer, the colors change on the notification bar, with new clear notification buttons, but beyond that, they just managed to take down your ability to tether wirelessly without handing over $20 a month or more. :)

Unfortunately, resistance is futile... unless you are willing to click ignore on an update alert every day or couple of days.

That is EXACTLY what it is going to do. Gingerbread is nothing exciting. Moto has a new default app drawer, the colors change on the notification bar, with new clear notification buttons, but beyond that, they just managed to take down your ability to tether wirelessly without handing over $20 a month or more. :)

Unfortunately, resistance is futile... unless you are willing to click ignore on an update alert every day or couple of days.

pda net works for usb tether
and there are other workarounds out there
and more being worked on

Thanks for the advisory that GB is worthless to the user. Happy about that so I am not tempted to upgrade!

I experimented with a couple of other apps for wifi hotspot and couldn't get any of them to work satisfactorily. Sticking with Verizon app and for $20 a month, I'll click on a bunch of those ignore buttons. Besides, I stopped getting them after about a week. Guess that was because they took the upgrade down.

PDANet is nice and I used it for my laptop once but for ipads, wifi is necessary.

Thanks for the advisory that GB is worthless to the user. Happy about that so I am not tempted to upgrade!
Eventually (when VZW/HTC re-release it), you won't have a choice. They'll force it on you vs giving you the "Accept", "Defer", etc options. In fact, I saw this occur on my wife's TBolt: It prompted for an update (this was a minor update before GB) and you could hit "Defer" every time. This went on for days or close to a week. One time, she looks, and it's in the process of updating ! It would appear that the "Accept, Defer, etc" options defaults to "Accept" if not answered within a timeframe :(

Eventually (when VZW/HTC re-release it), you won't have a choice. They'll force it on you vs giving you the "Accept", "Defer", etc options. In fact, I saw this occur on my wife's TBolt: It prompted for an update (this was a minor update before GB) and you could hit "Defer" every time. This went on for days or close to a week. One time, she looks, and it's in the process of updating ! It would appear that the "Accept, Defer, etc" options defaults to "Accept" if not answered within a timeframe :(

they did this on the droid 2
it would ask every 12 hours

The update was pulled due to buginess. Hopefully they fix the bugs and push it back out soon.
Only issue I'm aware of is MISSING voicemail notifications. Sadly, it's been that way in all of the 'leaked' GB test versions and people have said "voicemail notifications do not work" but VZW/HTC did nothing...

Only issue I'm aware of is MISSING voicemail notifications. Sadly, it's been that way in all of the 'leaked' GB test versions and people have said "voicemail notifications do not work" but VZW/HTC did nothing...

I noticed that the other day after I installed it.

Supposedly, if you call VZW and bitch a fit about this, they'll give you "Visual Voice Mail" for free (at least until they fix the standard VM). There's also Google Voice and YouMail. I've used GV for a long time so I never cared about the issue on GB.

i have cm7 on my evo for awhile now. the hotspot has been flawless and works great with my ipad. guess i'm lucky.

I have a leaked gingerbread ROM the only problem is wifi isn't as strong as it was on froyo, I can live with it, the battery life is great and voicemail works good. We have to download visual voicemail but its free on Tmobile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts