Upgrade Advice

FYI: The HS17 will not connect to a TV. You would need a C61K just for the first TV. It is the newer receiver though, so more future proof.

One receiver is in the monthly fee so the C61K would be $7 per month extra. The HS17 doesn’t count in the receiver fee so the one client would be in the monthly fee.

A C61K has only a HDMI output and does not need a 4K TV to work, just one that has HDMI, if you need composite or component output then you need a C61/51/41 with the AV DIN output. Then when you get a 4K set just update the client, the HS17 stays. That way you don’t lose any recordings you have when you update the client.

OK, now if I update the client whenever I get 4K (if its within the 2yrs), Would DTV typically expect me to pay for it and reset my 2yrs?
Maybe 4K is just more trouble than its worth. Only 3 channels now, only one that I might watch rarely. I'm guess there won't be that much more in the next 2 yrs.

Anytime they upgrade you it you start a new 2 year, so it’s always best to get as much as you can in the beginning. BTW there are a total of 5 4K channels up now, one ‘demo’, two live events and two PPV.

OK, I'll think about it.

The trade off is either:
1. Get HR54, HD on current TV, SD on old TV. (In the future if I get a new tv), HD on new and old TV assuming I split the HDMI
2. Get HS17/C61K, HD on current TV, nothing on old TV. (In the future if I get a new TV), 4K on new TV, nothing on old TVs

Is the HS17 connection to the clients wireless?
Currently, my HR22 is connected to a 802.11AC AP. My cable modem and router is upstairs. If I get the HS17, I could put it directly next to my router and give it a wired connection. That would only work if I could use a wireless client. I can't run cables in my walls without ripping out drywall. or perhaps going outside my house which I dont want to do.

I switched from the Hopper to the Genie2 for two main reasons. The first and by far the most important is the superior picture quality with DirecTV. The difference is very noticeable on my 82 inch Samsung. The second reason is the ability to watch 4K. I'm watching the US Open right now. But for me it's all about the PQ PQ PQ.

OK, I'll think about it.

The trade off is either:
1. Get HR54, HD on current TV, SD on old TV. (In the future if I get a new tv), HD on new and old TV assuming I split the HDMI
2. Get HS17/C61K, HD on current TV, nothing on old TV. (In the future if I get a new TV), 4K on new TV, nothing on old TVs

Is the HS17 connection to the clients wireless?
Currently, my HR22 is connected to a 802.11AC AP. My cable modem and router is upstairs. If I get the HS17, I could put it directly next to my router and give it a wired connection. That would only work if I could use a wireless client. I can't run cables in my walls without ripping out drywall. or perhaps going outside my house which I dont want to do.
The HS17 needs a coax connection to the dish, so it will go wherever that connection is. The 4K client (C61K) is wired only, you can get HD wireless clients (recommend the C61W, it's faster then the C41W) which use a private wireless network that the HS17 provides. If you need a wireless internet connection to the HS17 it can also do that using a separate WiFi connect then the wireless clients use.

The HS17 needs a coax connection to the dish, so it will go wherever that connection is. The 4K client (C61K) is wired only, you can get HD wireless clients (recommend the C61W, it's faster then the C41W) which use a private wireless network that the HS17 provides. If you need a wireless internet connection to the HS17 it can also do that using a separate WiFi connect then the wireless clients use.

OK, I think I will forget about 4K. Not worth it since I dont know if I will even get a TV in the next 2 years or if there will be any more content.

The wireless maybe an option

HS17/C61W, should allow a better internet connection for ondemand and use of the bandwidth on my wifi network.
Or I can stick with getting the HR54

OK, I think I will forget about 4K. Not worth it since I dont know if I will even get a TV in the next 2 years or if there will be any more content.

The wireless maybe an option

HS17/C61W, should allow a better internet connection for ondemand and use of the bandwidth on my wifi network.
Or I can stick with getting the HR54
Just remember the C61W does not use your WiFi network for it’s connection, just the ‘private’ network that the HS17 provides.

Just remember the C61W does not use your WiFi network for it’s connection, just the ‘private’ network that the HS17 provides.
Yes, so I assume that means it wont use up bandwidth on my current wifi network. So if I'm doing some computer to computer transaction, it should go faster since directv is on its own.

I assume their wifi has enough bandwidth to carry the stream so there is no quality difference

Yes, so I assume that means it wont use up bandwidth on my current wifi network. So if I'm doing some computer to computer transaction, it should go faster since directv is on its own.

I assume their wifi has enough bandwidth to carry the stream so there is no quality difference
No problem with three C61W’s streaming at the same time. The HS17’s network is an 802.11N/AC network with a max data rate of 1733.3Mbps according to WiFi Explorer on my MacBook.

Great.

So its down to
HS17/C61W or HR54

Best of luck! You'll probably be happy either way.

FWIW: I tend to agree about UHD (aka 4K, which it isn't). I rent UHD movies and watch some Amazon originals in UHD. It looks slightly better on the 70" TV I sit maybe 8-9 feet away from, but it totally isn't necessary. It just isn't worth the effort for marginally better detail. The majority of human eyes just don't see in UHD. If you are close enough to the TV to really see it, you cannot see the whole screen. The real reason to get a UHD TV set is because it is better in all the other ways which actually matter, like video processing, panel quality, refresh rate, color gamut, etc. The same used to be true of 3D 1080p sets. 8K is even less necessary in the home. It is just a waste of bandwidth. At least some people can see UHD.

Yeah either should be much better than what i have now. I'm leaning towards the HR54 as I figure there is less to go wrong vs two boxes that have to communicate with eachother. Who knows if there is any real difference having my ondemand go through a wire vs wifi. I rarely use it anyways since the selection is so poor. I did notice a "one time" wireless fee on the new customer page, I dont know if I'd be subject to that if I asked for the HS17/C61W setup. Since the installer is going to be reinstalling my dish, I figure this is the time to get the line moved. Later on, if I just wanted to swap the box, I assume directv would just mail me a new box. So this is the time to decide.

As for the TV, the main thing is that I bought my current 40in TV when I lived in an apartment and sat less than 5ft away from my TV. I moved to my house about 10yr ago and I sit about 17ft away from my TV so it always felt small. However, I live alone at so I have always thought it would be excessive to buy a second HDTV. I still have my old tube TV in my bedroom that I use maybe 1hr a month. I used the RCA out and an RF modulator with my existing coax in my house to get directv on it. I can only watch the same channel, but again, I can only physically watch one TV at once. Whenever I upgrade my TV, I figure I will move my current one up to my bedroom. I have an HDMI splitter, but no easy/cheap way to get the line up to my bedroom. That and the fact that I rarely watch TV up there has made me hold have all these years. As for 4K, I don't really notice the difference. My laptop has a 4K screen and I tried 4K content. The 4K looks better but the 1080p content looks good too. I find BITRATE far more important than resolution. When action scenes in a movie turn into a bunch of blocks or I can see artifacts even in a still scene, I know its bad.

Just to report back.
Called DirecTV/ATT, went through 4 people before they got me to the loyalty department and send 2.5hrs on the phone.

They were able to offer me $26.99 first 12mo, and $81.99 for entertainment. They said they already applied this with no commitment.
When I asked for the HR54, they said it was $399 and the most they could discount was $100.

I said that wasnt acceptable and he proceeded to try to convince me the HR22 was better and had more storage.

So now, I can call back and see if they'll put my dish back up for free and keep suffering with my HR22 (and enjoy my lower price for at least a year).

Or switch to Xfinity where my total average cost of 2yrs would be about $28 more per month. Though, I think switching to cable tv would cause me to lose my way to get the RF modulator output up to my bedroom unless I can do a diplexer/combiner setup.

When I asked for the HR54, they said it was $399 and the most they could discount was $100.

I said that wasnt acceptable and he proceeded to try to convince me the HR22 was better and had more storage.
That doesn't seem correct.

That doesn't seem correct.
Yes ofcourse.

I'll try calling one more time to see if they'll upgrade me to a genie. I don't know how common it is for them to give out a genie.

So right now, I'm paying $26.99/mo for the next 12mo. I checked with comcast and I'd pay $33.42 for the next 12mo. After that it would be $81.99 (though I suspect the agent was wrong and its actually $91.99), and $53.42 for comcast. I still have to call into to directv to get them to remount my dish. I'll try again to get the genie. Either way, I think I will stay with directv for another year, then try again to get the genie. Otherwise, switch to comcast after that.

I decided to return to Directv. I got $55 off Choice for a year, free Sunday Ticket, $10 off a year with auto bill pay and paperless billing, and 3 months of the premiums for free. When I made my order, they weren't able to give me HBO for a year for free. I noticed that being offered on the website. Are returning customers eligible for the free year of HBO?

I decided to return to Directv. I got $55 off Choice for a year, free Sunday Ticket, $10 off a year with auto bill pay and paperless billing, and 3 months of the premiums for free. When I made my order, they weren't able to give me HBO for a year for free. I noticed that being offered on the website. Are returning customers eligible for the free year of HBO?
Make sure you cancel the 3 month of premiums yourself as I'm sure it will auto renew if you don't.

Reactions: whitewolf8214

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)