VB Weekly: Re: BluRay, if the war is over, why are you fighting so hard?

How much is Sony counting Blue Ray market share as sales from the PS3? That really shouldn't count since the main reason for buying a PS3 is gaming, not movies, although it's capable of playing them. Same goes for Microsoft and the 360. Myself I'm leaning towards HDDVD just because of the price. All of the products that Sony has been first to market with have been outrageously expensive. Yes BR has more "features" and all, but that really doesn't interest me. I wanna see the movie and maybe some of the outtakes, but that's it. BR is lost on me. This war is only hurting the consumer. I'm a movie fanatic and I like movies from several studios. As a consumer, I shouldn't have to chose which movies I buy and watch simply because of the media they are sold on. It's ridiculous. That being said, the smartest way to go for now is to get LGs dual player. At least until the format war is decided.

Second, the HD-DVD crowd has to be really reaching to say that Universals titles (most being releases from years ago) are better then even Sony's. Check the box office guys and while you are at it check the reviews of the actual movies themselves. There is a reason Universal has really dropped kicked big budget movies -- they are not making alot of money.

Hey Blubots check this out

Yahoo! Movies - All Time Box Office and Buzz

Yahoo! Movies - Daily Box Office and Buzz

Yahoo! Movies - Weekend Box Office and Buzz

It's all part of the total HD experience. Just check out 300 on HDDVD.
It's a shame todays BD players can't take advantage of it. I guess that's the price you pay for rushing a product to market before it is complete.

While I understand your perspective, its just not what I care about. It pains me BR movies get delayed for stuff like this.

I have not done anything thing other than watch trailers and select play on a disc in years, just not my thing I guess.

Hellboy II is/will be Universal

Yepp. While its not enough to make me buy an A2 :), its does irritate me.

I think at the end of the day, honestly, both formats are great and we need neutrality to give consumers the option. Id be lying if I said that universal will never make anything else I want to buy, the same goes for HDDVD supporters and Sony/Disney/Fox.

Problem is, Sony will never bite unless everyone else goes neutral. I do feel there is room for both. Brings back memories when the Xbox was coming out and everyone said there was not enough room for nintendo/sony/miscrosoft in the same playpen, look at them now.

JoeSp and Elwaylite just explained why the numbers are how they are.

Less studio support means less worthwhile titles. I am sure (speculating) that the $$ is in the new releases, and nostalgic titles. Not some of this piddly stuff that has been shoved that way.

With HDDVD's lower priced players, market share in the hardware side of things HAS GOT to be increasing. How can it not, low prices are the fuel of the impulse shopper.

Now without that studio support, what are they going to buy? The new releases that are available to them.

So now, after coming to realize all of this, how come Blu-Ray isn't outselling HDDVD by a larger margin? Clearly its the higher hardware penetration, and the smaller title selection. More titles being bought, but for Blu-Ray, there are simply more titles.

If 10 HD people buy all 5 new releases then 50 sold. If 5 BluRay people bought all 15 new releases then 75 sold.

Am I making any sense? Just kinda came to me so I spit it out.

Wish one would win so I could start my HD collection, being a buyer and not a renter myself. I would have gotten an HDDVD addon for my 360 before mine died, and made me realize I didn't want to tie myself into 1 box for an undermined amount of time.

/babble off.

Elstevo,

I think the other reason BR sells more movies is the fact that there are 6mil+ ps3's out there, this actually gives them larger hardware penetration. Now I know the larger percentage bought it to game, but they will buy movies too. Then theres guys like me that bought it for everything else itd do besides gaming.

Question is, if Univ stays neutral, will Fox or Disney jump?

I don't know, studios will certainly help decide this. Wish nobody was exclusive and they let the hardware dictate where people went and who wins, so that it was decided by innovation in the players rather than a company fighting for control of a format.

Disney is still IMO the biggest player. They make ungodly amounts at the rental and retail level. So much more than their on-screen revenue.

You must of been drinking some sour milk lately.:)

I don't see any studio jumping ship until after this XMAS and perhaps not till next summer right before XMAS 08. Everyone seems to be locked into their respective camps.

I see a status quo situation until after XMAS. Things that might cause movement:

What the heck is Walmart doing -- low cost BD players -- low cost HD-DVD players. Just a question here, if you have the chance to buy a $299 HD-DVD player from China or a $299 BD player which do you chose?

Where will Sony price the PS3 for XMAS. Will it stay at $599, move to the $499 pricepoint or will they go lower?

Can Toshiba go any lower and stay in the game? $199 or lower -- and how would that affect Walmart's HD-DVD players from China?

Will the BD camp have a sub $400 player by XMAS? If it drops to say the $299 range will folks waiting jump when they see what Disney and Pixar have instore for BD?

Will the HD-DVD crowd start going after a little retail space or are they running out of M$ money. They might be selling alot of players at a low cost but are they making any money?

Who's gonna blink first? Toshiba, Universal, Sony, Buena Vista (Disney), M$?

My money is on M$. Right now they are in a little pickle. The 360 warranty repairs is costing them over 1 billion. They are going to have to shove alot more money Universal's way to keep them in the HD-DVD fold. Vista is not making them alot of money right now -- especially since the Gov't has said no to the operating system. Vista is just not ready for prime time even after being out 6 months. Could Vista be M$ Waterloo? M$ needs a hugh XMAS from the 360 and the hot games coming out for it this Fall but Wii and a lower cost PS3 is gonna hurt them more then anyone can really guess right now.

Yep, my money is on M$ blinking first -- they have alot of money but they did not get that way by constantly losing it and throwing it down the drain. Maybe a brand new XBOX for this XMAS might just be what the doctor ordered because the doctor can't really fix the current one--not permantly.

PS3 is $499. The 80 gig will be $599 until the 60gig is sold out then they speculate it dropping price.

I think a lot rides on BD+ security. If they prove it cannot be cracked for long enough, it might sway some studios. If its cracked in the first two months, maybe not so much.

The price argument is kind of funny to me when I think about it. HDDVD loves to taunt price, but the HDa2 lacks features of the more expensive BR AND HDDVD players. It reminds me of the XBox360 vs PS3 argument. If you bought the accessories for the xbox to make it equal with the ps3 standard features, itd cost the same.

You cant compare the HD-A2 to the Sony standalones or ps3. Now check the price of the HD-A20 and see how it compares, pretty darn close.

Now if you want the full experience that the Samsung BD-P1200 gives you with the Reon chip at $799, check out the price of the HD-XA2.

Problem is, people dont research so they go buy an A2 that wont do 1080p. This makes a lot of sense considering itll be common like 720p is now a fear years down the road.

Whoopy do if the A2 is $99 for Christmas, it wont get a buy from me unless they magically make it do 1080p. Problem is, Joe Blow only looks at the price tag.

I try not to take any one persons reporting as the hand of god, and have not seen enough of Josh's stuff...
Who is Josh?
...Im not here to make you happy.
Phew... That's a relief...
Problem is, people dont research so they go buy an A2 that wont do 1080p.
Right, and the Earth is flat.

Just have a sip of BD koolaid from JoeSp's post above and you are good to go... not making an argument. :)

Diogen.

Who is Josh?
Phew... That's a relief...
Right, and the Earth is flat.

Just have a sip of BD koolaid from JoeSp's post above and you are good to go... not making an argument. :)

Diogen.

Your parents let you stay up this late?

I see one consistency in your posts, they never add to the conversation. Your one of those guys that like to sit back and nitpick what suits him, and never offers much up. The other issue is you dont understand the difference between an argument and a discussion.

And last time I checked genius, the A2 wont do 1080p, so I guess the earth is flat.

Maybe you meant the HD-A20, nah youre way to smart for that. :rolleyes:

Another prime example:

Since when did Amir become your "good friend"?
Does he call you like this, too?

Diogen.

Is this the BEST question you could ask on the Insiders Thread on AVS? Another time where you added nothing to the conversation and wasted bandwidth with a post that only serves to nitpick.

Welcome to the ignore list.

Your parents let you stay up this late?
I let my grandkids stay up this late, how about that?
I see one consistency in your posts, they never add to the conversation.
Oh... I'm sorry. Can you point to one posts of yours that does?
...so I guess the earth is flat.
That is a significant contribution...
Is this the BEST question you could ask on the Insiders Thread on AVS?
Wow... You read other forums?
Talkstr8t is the JoeSp of the AVS (but unlike him, with much better, almost perfect technical knowledge) and over his stint at AVS answered all other questions...
Welcome to the ignore list.
Thank you.

Diogen.

elwaylite -- give it up. Diogen does not believe in sharing whatever is rolling around between his ears. He is a troller -- he likes to list everything someone says that he disagrees with -- post no factual information -- likes a good disagreement and must not have much going because he likes to smack around any BD supporter he can find. The ignore list is the only way you can get around him. Others here will disagree and at least bring something to the discussion other then smart mouth typing. You can endure -- keep posting.

Dont worry, hes ignored ;). I find it funny his only contribution to a satellite site is posting in the BR/HD forums.

Ive said all I have to say in this thread anyways.

...he likes to list everything someone says that he disagrees with....
If I had to post only when I agree with you, I'd be dead silent.
Pick up some talking points from Talkstr8t from AVS - they will do tremendous good for you.
Especially in the specs department.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)